none
Office 2010 Volume License Deployment

Question

• I am planning my deployment of Office 2010.

I have downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the software from the Licensing website.

I have read the Technet document on Office 2010 deployment.  However, it doesn't seem to cover the case for ISO downloads of the software.

Specifically, it states the Office 2010 Installation DVD should have the format:

\
    \setup.exe
    \setup.inf
    \x86
    \x64

where the x86 and x64 are the architecture specific subdirectories and the top level setup.exe is an OS selector.

The ISO images I have downloaded appear to contain the setup directories for x86 and x64 but not the top level setup selector.  Thus, my deployment cannot match that of the setup information on Technet.

How can I obtain these other files?

Tim Winders | Associate Dean of Information Technology | South Plains College
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:48 PM

Answers

• Yes, I understand what an ISO image is.

However, when you download the software from the volume license site, you are prompted to select x86 or x64 version.  You then download an ISO image which contains *ONLY* the software for that architecture.  You do *NOT* get an ISO image which matches what is described in the setup docs.

I thought it was a volume issue, so I contacted them first, and they told me they do not help with setup issues and referred me to support.  I contacted support and they referred me here.

So, I am still stuck with no support from any Microsoft team and no where else I can turn.

=== Tim

*frustrated*

I can see where you would be frustrated, and I am sorry that I missed the part about the setup programs not being found that is what lead me to the comment I made about the ISO image.

I would go back to the people who sold the volume license and request DVDs for the license or assistance in obtaining the proper setup files as the download is not the full package apparently.

• Marked as answer by Tim Winders Monday, August 02, 2010 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:54 AM

All replies

• I am planning my deployment of Office 2010.

I have downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the software from the Licensing website.

I have read the Technet document on Office 2010 deployment.  However, it doesn't seem to cover the case for ISO downloads of the software.

Specifically, it states the Office 2010 Installation DVD should have the format:

\
    \setup.exe
    \setup.inf
    \x86
    \x64

where the x86 and x64 are the architecture specific subdirectories and the top level setup.exe is an OS selector.

The ISO images I have downloaded appear to contain the setup directories for x86 and x64 but not the top level setup selector.  Thus, my deployment cannot match that of the setup information on Technet.

How can I obtain these other files?

An ISO image is just that, an image of a DVD or CD that needs to be burned to a CD or DVD as the case may be by using proper burning software.  You can also use some software to mount the ISO image on the computer and extract all the files that way.  For the ISO mounting do a Google search.
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, August 02, 2010 1:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tim Winders Monday, August 02, 2010 1:30 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:41 PM

However, when you download the software from the volume license site, you are prompted to select x86 or x64 version.  You then download an ISO image which contains *ONLY* the software for that architecture.  You do *NOT* get an ISO image which matches what is described in the setup docs.

I thought it was a volume issue, so I contacted them first, and they told me they do not help with setup issues and referred me to support.  I contacted support and they referred me here.

So, I am still stuck with no support from any Microsoft team and no where else I can turn.

=== Tim

*frustrated*

Monday, August 02, 2010 1:30 AM

=== Tim

*frustrated*

I can see where you would be frustrated, and I am sorry that I missed the part about the setup programs not being found that is what lead me to the comment I made about the ISO image.

I would go back to the people who sold the volume license and request DVDs for the license or assistance in obtaining the proper setup files as the download is not the full package apparently.

• Marked as answer by Tim Winders Monday, August 02, 2010 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:54 AM
  • *sigh*

Back to square one...  I will receive the setup media, eventually, but that doesn't help me for getting my deployment up and going now...

OK, thank you.

Monday, August 02, 2010 1:57 AM