none
more specific problem with Excel 2010 copy/paste function

Question

• The situation is that if users want to copy some data from a larger workbook "~600KB" (with formated and  function filled cells areas) to another workbook in separate instance of excel they get the following error message:

Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data.
    P1: 100190
    P2: 14.0.6029.1000
    P3: cp04
    P4:

with a clean workbook the error appears after 5 copy/paste, and if data is copied to another already filled workbook it appears after second attempt of copy/paste. this goes away only when completely closing excel.

I have already tried: repair  office, disable any add-ons and even using the safe mode. error is presented in every situation. And i can reproduce this in every computer that uses Win7 and Office professional plus 2010 
    the point is that we need to be able to copy to another instance of excel with another workbook opened in it. (this way removes the functions and only copies the numeric data we need)

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi!

This is this way by default. (You said "in separete instance").

To avoid the problem open both Excel files in the same instance.

Just to check open 2 Excel files in separete instances and try to copy a cell with a formula from one file to another, you will see it's not possible, the cells will be paste as numbers, not formulas.(By design).

Hope it helps.

Renatoabc

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:05 PM
  • thanks for the reply but its not a solution we can accept, the same situation worked well on XP machine with the same files and same office

our data handlers use two large monitors and need to view workbooks separately so they can compare and if necessary make changes by copy/paste to another workbook  

we even dont need formulas to be copyed but even with only numbers pasted the error pops up and messes up the workflow
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Hi!

Just to better understand the situation: how do you open the 2 files in "separete instances" ?

Please post all the steps for us to see if there is a workaround.

Regards.

Renatoabc

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:36 AM
  • ok, i'l

l start over
    one of our data analysts claim that she has used excel this way for 4 years now, that she can copy data from on workbook(on monitor 1) and paste it to another workbook ( on monitor 2), problem is that she got a new computer now with windows 7, and all the sudden nothing is as it was :P. i have tried to explain this to her but no use.  i even have installed on fresh computer with XP SP3 and oddice 2010 pro Plus. have to admit the error is persistent.

to me its not important how the excel is working: in the same instance or different, we need to use it on two separate LCD monitors. easy-st  way seemed to edit the registry with "%1" added so it would open directly in separate window

edit\ after rechecking the problematic computer i restored the registry settings to defaults, situation for now is that the workbooks still open separately but no errors anymore, atleast with the smaller files, i'll let you know tomorrow how its going

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hello Alo,

One of my office computers is having the same exact issue of what you'd experience.  Can you please elaborate a little more on how to edit the registry, so that I can give it a try too?  Thanks very much.

WingKChan

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Hey Alo,

Did you manage to work this out ?

I'm having the same problem too.

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:25 AM