none
Oulook won't open because can't verify license

Question

• When I opened Outlook 2010 today it tried to reconfigure itself.  It then issued a message that it could not verify the license and the repair attempt failed.  Actually I tried other Office apps and the same is true.  Where do I reenter the licence number what happened?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:47 PM

All replies

• File | Help | Change Product Key (on the right hand side)

Simon Jones
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I have the same issue. The end of the message says "The application will now shut down" I can't get into the program to re-enter a product key.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Then use the application's setup kit from Control Panel | Programs.
    It allows you to do the same thing.
    Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:10 AM
  • When I opened Outlook 2010 today it tried to reconfigure itself.  It then issued a message that it could not verify the license and the repair attempt failed.  Actually I tried other Office apps and the same is true.  Where do I reenter the licence number what happened?

Please let me know solution ?

Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:09 AM
  • Please suggest, problem still pending ?

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:31 AM
  • I have exact same issue.   Tried complete reinstallation, even manually deleting left over registry keys.   Tried using different technet key and no good.   Have another machine with similar configuration and it works fine.

Dont you just love it when legitimate users get screwed by these activation schemes.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:47 AM
  • OK, think I have it.

Uninstall Office and reinstall but make sure you UNcheck the option to try and activate automatically over the internet.   When you open one of the Office apps for the first time it will then go through the activation options.   I just did the activate online option and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by beneuto Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:20 AM
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I've just had the same issue but Outlook 2010 was the only part of Office 2010 which wasn't affected, all other gave the Will now Shut Down message.

Running Windows & Pro:Went into Control Panel > Programmes and tried the Change > Enter a Product Key option and entered the correct key for the installation in questions - this didn't fix it. The I went for the Change > Repair option, I got a couple of error messages during the repair which I just OK'd and then allowed the machine to restart after the repair had completed. After this I could start all the Office modules without any problems.

JBF

• Proposed as answer by jbf1959 Monday, March 12, 2012 1:04 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 1:04 PM
  • What a surprise . . I have an even better one:  Bot Outlook for $175 6 mo ago, prod key on my win 7 pc was erased/deleted by some s/w over the weekend.  Outlook doesn't run, asks me to enter prod key via ctrl pnl, which I did, but Outlook still won't work.  

Since I bot 6 mo ago, I'm "out of warranty", so my options are: 1.  fix myself, 2.  pay Microsoft $100 to fix *their* app, running on *their* OS, and get a 30 day warranty . . this is reminscent of my bmw which imploded the month after my warranty expired . . what a coincidence!

Financially speaking, I'm better off just buying a new copy of the product that broke after 6 mos . . why, for the extra $50, I get 2 additional mos of warranty.

Better yet, why not just use free s/w for the commodity that email has always been??

Thanks,

Befuddled, former legitimate customer, soon-to-be non-customer (lol!) 

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Buying a new copy of Office or Outlook in those circumstances would not be wise as it is unlikely to cure the problem.

Your problem is probably buried deep in the registry of your PC where this "other software" you talk about has damaged the settings for Outlook.

If you know what software caused the problem, have you tried uninstalling it?

Have you tried to "Repair" Office / Outlook from Control Panel - Programs?

Have you tried to remove office / outlook and then reinstall it?

Have you tried a registry cleaner? The only one l can recommend is called CCleaner. All others are suspicious. You May need to remove office, run the registry cleaner, reboot and then reinstall.

If that doesn't work then you would probably be best to backup all your data, wipe your PC and install the operating system and all your applications again.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Same issue, and, of course I am not going to wipe the hard drive, what a dumb comment.

Funny, it only gives me this error message only when I am in safe mode. When I am in regular mode, I simply cannot receive anything. I wish there was a rationale cure for this...

Marc

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:48 AM
  • make sure the system service "Office Software Protection Platform Service " is running. 

Goto Control Panel --> select service "Office Software Protection Platform Service " and Startup type should be Automatic and service status should be "Started" 

How it was changed to disabled? I have no idea but after setting it to automatic and starting it, all problems suddenly disappeared.

:)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:07 PM