none
Bad Image Error on Microsoft office files and the application itself

Pregunta

• When I open any office file or application it displays the following message: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing  the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

None of the applications would open. Please Help.

domingo, 18 de septiembre de 2011 16:26

Respuestas

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I would suggest to try the following methods:

Methods A:

1.       Close all to the Office programs

2.       Go to the location “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14”

3.       Rename the file “MSO.DLL” as “MSO.DLL.OLD

4.       Start Office component such as Microsoft Excel, Windows Install notification popup and start installing Office 2010.

5.       After complete installing, Excel will be opened.

Methods B:

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Programs and Features.
    3. Click the Office 2010 program that you want to repair, then click Change.
    4. Click Repair, then click Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:13
    • Desmarcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:13
    • Marcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:19
    martes, 20 de septiembre de 2011 10:05
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I would suggest to try the following methods:

Methods A:

1.       Close all to the Office programs

2.       Go to the location “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14”

3.       Rename the file “MSO.DLL” as “MSO.DLL.OLD

4.       Start Office component such as Microsoft Excel, Windows Install notification popup and start installing Office 2010.

5.       After complete installing, Excel will be opened.

Methods B:

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Programs and Features.
    3. Click the Office 2010 program that you want to repair, then click Change.
    4. Click Repair, then click Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:13
    • Desmarcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:13
    • Marcado como respuesta Tedds martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:19
    martes, 20 de septiembre de 2011 10:05
    Moderador
  • I couldn't thank you enough............very helpful answer.......Thank You SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:20
  • I did exactly what you told me and it worked for a while.........but now the "MSO.DLL" file has reappeared from somewhere (so i followed the same steps but it reappeared another time) and it shows the same error. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!
    martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011 1:30
  • I tried Method A, and I got this error! 

PLEASE HELP!

sábado, 17 de marzo de 2012 11:05
  • Thank you Rex Zhang... you're great.

I've tried the A method and it worked very well.

Thanks

viernes, 17 de agosto de 2012 13:20
  • Rex,

I had a similar error involving the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OART.DLL. I couldn't uninstall or repair the Office installation so I was really struggling with it! Following your instructions I just renamed it to OART.DLL.BROKEN and the Windows Installer progress bar came during the repair operation, which created a new copy of OART.DLL and now all Office applications open correctly, thank you!

However, in my head this raises a question - if a significant error like this can be prevented by simply rebuilding a file, is this not the kind of thing that could programmed in to the software in a kind of try/catch scenario to prevent headaches like these? Might be a useful feature to include in a future version.

Thanks again,

Jon

miércoles, 29 de agosto de 2012 8:14
  • tried the first fix and it worked on everything other than word, but the second fix worked like a charm, many thx and may a thousand ice creams be delivered to your house free of charge.
    lunes, 16 de septiembre de 2013 20:34