none
Access 2013

Pregunta

• I have several databases developed in Access 2002/2003 which are configured for User Level Security. The Databases work 100% with Access 2010. I have downloaded Office 2013 and installed Access 2013. I successfully opened a tiny database that I use just to join the workgroup file. I then closed Access and tried to open the same file and now I get the Error 'Cannot open a database with a previous version of your application.' I get the same message with any database I try to open.

I then tried to create a new blank database (accdb) and got exactly the same message but with a further message following it: 'A problem occurred while MS Access was communicating with the ole server or activeX control'

Then... 'Close the OLE Server and restart it outside of the Microsoft Access Database'

Now its not possible to do anything with the database. This is the same on Windows 7/8. Help on this would be greatly appreciated and sorry my text is so long.

martes, 05 de marzo de 2013 17:00

Todas las respuestas

• This sounds like you possibly have saved the database in a 2013 format mistakenly which is the reason 2003 will not open it or incidentally, the database is corrupt.

Have you tried to create a blank db in Access 2003 and try importing from the database into the blank and see if you could be lucky to have your objects back.

IbrahimBadaru

martes, 05 de marzo de 2013 20:03
  • Thanks for the reply, Sorry my last paragraph wasn't clear. I mean I cannot open any of my databases  or create a new database of any format with Access 2013. All my databases can be opened with Access 2003/2010.

martes, 05 de marzo de 2013 22:58
  • Hi,

Based on my research, as for the 'Cannot open a database with a previous version of your application.' error message, try to open the database in Access 2003 then Convert it to Access 2002-2003 file format.

After that, open the database in Access 2013, then save it as .accdb format.

Here's the steps:

1.Open the Access database in Access 2003.
    2.On the Tools menu, click Database Utilities, click Convert Database, and then click to Access 2002-2003 file format.
    3.Enter a name for the database, and then click Save.
    4.Exit Access 2003.
    5.Open the database in Access 2013.
    6.On the File tab, click Save As, select Access Database (*.accdb), and then click Save As.
    7.In the Save As dialog box, click Save.

As for the 'A problem occurred while MS Access was communicating with the ole server or activeX control' error, follow the method below:

Method: Remove accented characters or special characters from the VBA code and from database objects
    To resolve this issue, remove any accented characters or special characters that appear in the VBA code or in database objects. For example, form sections and report sections that were created in localized versions of Access may contain accented characters or special characters.

To rename an Access object, or a section in an Access object, that contains accented characters or special characters, follow these steps:

1.Start Access, and then open the database that you want.
    2.Right-click the form or report that you want, and then click Design view.
    3.Right-click the object that you want, and then click Properties.
    4.On the All tab in the Name box, type a name that does not contain accented characters or special characters.
    5.After you rename the objects, open Visual Basic Editor to determine whether your changes appear in the VBA code. The objects may retain the original names. If this behavior occurs, you must manually rename the objects in the VBA code.

Referring to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755119

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907337

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

miércoles, 06 de marzo de 2013 2:46
    Moderador
  • Hi Jaynet

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I tried all your suggestions and unfortunately it didnt solve the problem.

This morning I created a new database with Access 2003 with a single table with no data, no modules, forms or reports and Access gave the same  error: 'Cannot open a database with a previous version of your application'

The first thing I did after installing Access 2013 was to join the workgroup security file as I have user level security setup in all my databases and it was after that I had the problem not being able to open databases or even create a new (accdb) database. As a test I removed the workgroup file from the location where I joined it and now I can open files again although I cant do anything with them as I need the workgroup security file to open forms etc.

The question now arises - Does Access 2013 support User Level Security? I have searched for this but cannot find an answer. I originally joined the workgroup file within Access 2013 using VBA code so one would suppose it is supported. It seems to join the workgroup ok but then nothing can be opened or new databases created.

jwkfitz

miércoles, 06 de marzo de 2013 14:49
  • Hi Jaynet

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I tried all your suggestions and unfortunately it didnt solve the problem.

This morning I created a new database with Access 2003 with a single table with no data, no modules, forms or reports and Access gave the same  error: 'Cannot open a database with a previous version of your application'

The first thing I did after installing Access 2013 was to join the workgroup security file as I have user level security setup in all my databases and it was after that I had the problem not being able to open databases or even create a new (accdb) database. As a test I removed the workgroup file from the location where I joined it and now I can open files again although I cant do anything with them as I need the workgroup security file to open forms etc.

The question now arises - Does Access 2013 support User Level Security? I have searched for this but cannot find an answer. I originally joined the workgroup file within Access 2013 using VBA code so one would suppose it is supported. It seems to join the workgroup ok but then nothing can be opened or new databases created.

jwkfitz

UPDATE: The Workgroup File (.mdw) was in Access 95 format. I opened it in Access 2003 and from the tools menu saved it in Access 2003 format, I used this file as my new workgroup file and now all is well. Converting the file gives an error but it converted OK.

jwkfitz

miércoles, 06 de marzo de 2013 21:00