none
Word 2010 track changes

Pregunta

• Hi

I have a client who has a document and when she uses track changes the changes appear in red. She then changes the user name (eg from Susan to Susan1) and then all the changes appear in blue. She then wants to go back to having the first changes in red so changes the user name back to Susan. However, the new changes appear as mauve/purple. Any suggestions? I've tried this and it worked for me (red to blue then back to red).

Thanks, Viv

Viv Haig
    viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 11:15

Respuestas

• I beg to differ there still is an issue as I said I can get this to work perfectly well on my computer but it's not working on my client's.

I'll try to get to the bottom of this with my client.

Thanks anyway.

Viv

Viv Haig
    • Marcado como respuesta VHaig viernes, 23 de diciembre de 2011 9:19
    viernes, 23 de diciembre de 2011 9:19

Todas las respuestas

• By default, Word assigns color by author, but you can’t control what specific color is assigned.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 11:56
  • If I change the author back to the original then surely the track change colours should change back to red?
    Viv Haig
    viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 12:21
  • If I change the author back to the original then surely the track change colours should change back to red?
    Viv Haig

Not necessarily. Word just picks a color that hasn't been used before. You can specify a particular color (for your Word installation and your user account in Windows), but then all authors will have the same color.

viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 15:19
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2011 1:21
  • Hi Max, I'm afraid this isue still hasn't been resolved. I can get it to work fine on my computer (the colours change back to red when I change the user name back to the original) but it still isn't working for my client.

Viv

Viv Haig
    jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2011 10:57
  • "VHaig" wrote in message news:1783167b-ead0-4d0e-868c-c60fc02e62b3@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi Max, I'm afraid this isue still hasn't been resolved. I can get it to work fine on my computer (the colours change back to red when I change the user name back to the original) but it still isn't working for my client.

There is no issue. As I already stated, if you let Word assign different colors to different users, you can’t control which colors are being used; this is by design. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/howtrackchangesworks.html#WorkingWithMoreThanOneAuthor.

What you can do is suggest a change in behavior for future releases.

jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2011 14:22
  • I beg to differ there still is an issue as I said I can get this to work perfectly well on my computer but it's not working on my client's.

Thanks anyway.

Viv

Viv Haig
    • Marcado como respuesta VHaig viernes, 23 de diciembre de 2011 9:19
    viernes, 23 de diciembre de 2011 9:19

Thanks anyway.

Viv

Viv Haig

The "rules" for color assignment are in part predictable, which explains why it may look uncomplicated on your own computer. In other cases, it is not as uncomplicated. For example, if you e-mail a Word document with markup to yourself, and open the attachment directly from the e-mail, it may very well use different a different color.

Did you actually read the article I linked to?

viernes, 23 de diciembre de 2011 11:43
  • Our team just encountered your issue. When our customer would open the document (whether saved locally or attached to an email), the tracked changes from the original reviewer (from outside our company) were in red, as expected. When our customer would make a change, it would display initially in blue. But when our customer would save the document, all tracked changes in the document would change to purple.

We discovered (from one of our trainers) that a setting on the Backstage View (File Menu) of Word 2010 was set to hide the identity of the reviewers. If you have the document open, and click on the File Menu, then with the Info menu selected, find the section "Prepare for Sharing." At the bottom of that section we had a link which read, "Allow this information to be saved in your file." When we clicked on that link/switch/whatever, it reset the save properties FROM THAT POINT ONWARD to allow different reviewers to have different colors (original reviewer, red; our customer as reviewer 2, blue). Saving the document after clicking on that setting did not change all the reviewers' colors to purple.

I hope this helps.

jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013 21:10
  • If the Document Inspector has been used on the document, there is an option that you can deselect: "Remove personal information from file properties on save" (located at File tab | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options in Word 2010 and 2013). By deselecting the option, you prevent Word from assigning all edits to "Author." However, this most likely isn't relevant to the original poster's question.

jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013 21:49
  • This did not work for me at all.  But I did figure out a "work around". I'm using Word 2010

1. Click on the "Track Changes" tab

2. Click "Change Username"

3. Change it to your first name (ex: Angela)

4. Click "ok"

5. Type letters on your document to see what color they are.  It will probably start off with tan or green

6. Repeat steps 1 & 2

7. Change it to your fist name and add a number 1 at the end (ex: Angela1)

Type the letters again and each time you change the username to see what color it changed to

8. When you change the username again, add a number 2 at the end. (ex: Angela2) And continue to add a new number at the end of your name each time you change it until the lettering you type is blue.

Conclusion: When you change the username about 4 or 5 times, you will see the color change each time and it eventually cycle back around and turn back to blue.  The previous changes I made are still in purple, but all future changes will be blue :) :) :)  YAAAYYYY!  I never thought I was going to get this to work for me. I hope it helps you too!!!

viernes, 21 de febrero de 2014 15:22