none
RBS with SharePoint 2013 and SQL 2012 Almost Working

Question

• I am deploying a new Windows Server 2012 box with SharePoint Foundation 2013 and SQL Server 2012 Express.  I would like to get RBS working.  I have succesfully done this in the past with SPS 2010 and SQL 2008 but the 2013 / 2012 mix is giving me a bit of trouble.  Here is what has been done so far, all of these steps have worked.

- Ran SQL queryies to provision the filestream

- Installed the rbs.msi via the command prompt with correct instance name and database name

- Used power shell to enable RBS for my content database

This is a single server, single database setup.  When I execute the PowerShell command $rbss I do not get any errors, output says that rbs is enabled and the provder name is my new filtestream.  I can still upload documents to SharePoint.  However, none of the documents actually go to my d:\blobstore folder location that was provisioned in my sql queries.  I have not adjusted the default file size for rbs.  The instructions I followed were from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748631.aspx

Please let me know where I can start to look to resolve this issue, any input is helpful.  Thank you.

dimanche 20 janvier 2013 04:48

Toutes les réponses

• Are you sure you ran the SQL commands on the content database you are uploading documents to?

lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:24
  • Yes, and I confirmed the mssqlrbs tables are in the database.  Thx, let me know if you have any other ideas. 
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:29
  • The tables are created in the database when you run the RBS client library (RBS.msi). I am talking about the SQL queries to setup FILESTREAM on your content database. You need to run each query individually.

Have you ensured FILESTREAM is enabled on the database server? You need to ensure that the FILESTREAM access level is set to 2 as well. To do this, open up a new query window and type in the following:

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
    RECONFIGURE

Run each statement individually.

• Modifié hhancock lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:51
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:41
  • FILESTREAM is enabled (SQL Server Config Manager -> SQL Server Services -> SharePoint -> Properties ->FILESTREAM -> Enabled for Transact and I/O

I ran three SQL queries in Management Studio, prior to installing RBS.msi, all completed successfully:

use [WSS_Content]
    if not exists 
    (select * from sys.symmetric_keys 
    where name = N'##MS_DatabaseMasterKey##')
    create master key encryption by password = N'Admin Key Password !2#4'
    use [WSS_Content]
    if not exists 
    (select groupname from sysfilegroups 
    where groupname=N'RBSFilestreamProvider')
    alter database [WSS_Content]
    add filegroup RBSFilestreamProvider contains filestream
    use [WSS_Content] 
    alter database [WSS_Content]
     add file (name = RBSFilestreamFile, filename = 
    'D:\SPS_RBS') 
    to filegroup RBSFilestreamProvider

I have also double checked that my content database is actually WSS_Content.

Thank you for your help, please let me know what else I shoudl be checking.  Thx.

lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:52
  • Did you run the command for setting the FILESTREAM access level?
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:55
  • Hmmmm..... probably not, since I don't know what that command would be... care to share?
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 17:57
  • You need to run this in a new SQL query window. You don't have to run this on a specific database. Run this command at the root level.

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
    RECONFIGURE

lundi 21 janvier 2013 18:00
  • Done, but actually I think I did already to that.  This was my output:

Configuration option 'filestream access level' changed from 2 to 2. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

lundi 21 janvier 2013 18:02
  • You need to run RECONIFGURE again to reconfigure for FILESTREAM.
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 18:07
  • Done.  Uploaded a 2 MB PDF, no change to my SPS_RBS folder.
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 18:14
  • Sounds to me like the content database isn't configured for RBS properly. Are you scripting out the configuration of your web application and site collection? Ensure that the web application and/or your site collection is using the WSS_Content content database.

• Modifié hhancock lundi 21 janvier 2013 20:32
    lundi 21 janvier 2013 20:32
  • I've checked to ensure my web app and site collection is using the WSS_Content database (actually, I only have one content database).  I'm using SharePoint's PowerShell to enable RBS on the Content Database with these commands:

$cdb = Get-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content
    $rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings
    $rbss.Installed()
    $rbss.Enable()
    $rbss.SetActiveProviderName($rbss.GetProviderNames()[0])
    $rbss

$rbss.Installed() returns true.  $rbss returns Enalbed = True, Active Provder = My FileStream, Minimum Blob Storage = 0, and Upgraded Properties = {}

Let me know if you have any other ideas.  Thank you again for your help.

lundi 21 janvier 2013 20:38
  • Try setting up RBS/FILESTREAM on a new content database and see if you are experiencing the same issue.
    mercredi 23 janvier 2013 17:24
  • I thought about doing that, but didn't want to break things further.  The first time I did the instsall the rbs.msi install command had database specific arguments in it.  I assume I can run the install command again with the new arguments and all will be well?  Or is there another preferred way of configuring rbs.msi for another content database?  Just wanted to double check.  Thx.
    mercredi 23 janvier 2013 17:29
  • Have you checked the RBS.msi log file to ensure that the RBS client library was installed successfully? I assume so because you said that the RBS tables appeared in your content database.

As for adding additional content database, you will need to run the new command. It's very similar to the first one. Refer to the guide for specifics.

mercredi 23 janvier 2013 17:32
  • Thank you.  Yes, the first msi installed correctly, log file was good, over 1 MB which I believe is a good indication of it being successfuly, couldn't find any errors or failures in it.  I'll give the additional content database a try and let you know.  Thanks again.
    mercredi 23 janvier 2013 17:35
  • Not sure how applicable this will be to your situation, but check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2767183

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

vendredi 25 janvier 2013 06:09
    Modérateur
  • Hi Kenyon,

Have you tried to migrate the content to see if there are any errors? In the Application, Security, or System Event logs?

$rbs=(Get-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content).RemoteBlobStorageSettings

$rbs.Migrate()

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders, Business Intelligence in SharePoint 2013.

vendredi 25 janvier 2013 08:13
  • Hi Kenyon, 

Please let me know if you still need assistance or close this ticket if your questions were answered as it stays open in my profile...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders, Business Intelligence in SharePoint 2013.

vendredi 1 février 2013 11:00
  • Hi Kenyon, 

Please let me know if you still need assistance or lets close the discussion if your questions were answered, if you need further assistance please let us know...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

vendredi 8 février 2013 07:12
  • I haven't had any success and think I'm just giving up on it.  The migrate command did not help.  The second content database behaved the same way.  Hotfix didn't help.  Everything looks like it should work, but it doesn't.  I'll probably wait six months and rebuild the server then.  Go ahead and close the discussion, but know the issue hasn't been resolved.  Thanks for all the input.
    vendredi 8 février 2013 15:43
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem completely. The same installation procedure, everything is OK. but still no folder BLOB data. :-(

still no idea?

Thanks Jan

mercredi 11 septembre 2013 14:50
  • Hi Jan, I gave up, never could get it to work.  I ended up splitting their content into multiple content databases / sharepoint sites to get around things.  Not my ideal solution, but better than the bruises from banging my head against the wall.  Good luck, and if you ever figure something out please post it back so I can try it out too.  Thx.
    mercredi 11 septembre 2013 15:52
  • Hi Ivan,

I have the same issue. I don't think you should close this just because Kenyon gave up.

Maybe somebody finally will help us.

Thanks

mardi 20 mai 2014 03:01
  • Yes, we still need assistance.

Thanks

mardi 20 mai 2014 03:03
  • More diagnostic information from your end would help, e.g. RBS MSI install log with verbose logging enabled.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

mardi 20 mai 2014 03:04
    Modérateur
  • Hey Trevor,

whats up?

Your right, the issue is its easy to setup and configure. Most of the issues I have seen is FileStream has not been configured via sql iso prior to installing the SharePoint configuration. Most people for some reason think this is all you need to do.

To be more specific please provide the SQL Installation log from when FileStream Support was added, and we can go there if you have SQL FileStream Installed

clip_image001 clip_image002 clip_image003 clip_image004 clip_image006 clip_image008

-Ivan

mardi 20 mai 2014 03:31
  • If I follow this guide to the letter it works every time for me:

http://www.adventuresinsharepoint.co.uk/index.php/2013/10/05/enable-filestream-and-provision-a-remote-blob-store/

Get SQL setup first, then run the RBS.MSI on the SharePoint server, ensuring the parameters specified match those configured in SQL.

If you experience permissions issues, this may help:

http://www.adventuresinsharepoint.co.uk/index.php/2014/05/03/sorry-something-went-wrong-error-after-enabling-rbs-remote-blob-storage/

• Modifié Dai Webb mardi 20 mai 2014 06:58
    mardi 20 mai 2014 06:53
  • Hi,Myself I've installed and configure RBS (correctly) in Sharepoint 2013 but doesn't work.
    It didn't put any file in File System (BLOB Storage). The rights seems to be ok.
    Any idea why?
    Other people seems to have the same issue:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/e279451f-fe02-4e9f-8e97-30290bdbdc35/rbs-with-sharepoint-2013-and-sql-2012-almost-working?prof=required
    Thanks
    Grig
    mardi 20 mai 2014 15:35
  • Have you checked your Shredded storage 'shred size'? By default all items larger than 64kb are shredded down to that size. That means that if RBS has been set to 1MB then it'll never see a file large enough to externalise.
    mardi 20 mai 2014 15:40
  • Hi,

Thank you for your message.

The size is 1048576 = 1M

I've put all kind of size until 1.5G.

The WebApplication identity has rights to write also in the content DB also in this BLOB folder. 

$rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings

$rbss

Enabled ActiveProviderName  MinimumBlobStorageS UpgradedPersistedPr

ize operties

------- ------------------  ------------------- -------------------

True FilestreamProvid...             1048576 {}

So everything seems to be ok but is not putting the file in BLOB folder ( store).

Thanks

Grig

mardi 20 mai 2014 22:05
  • In my evaluation environment at home is working.

At work it doesn't!

The only differences are: at work I have Office Web apps  for SharePoint installed and configured and I didn't do it for the main content DB (wss_content), it is a different content DB.

Anybody succeed to installed and configured the RBS in similar situation?

Thanks

Grig

mercredi 21 mai 2014 03:37
  • How large are the BLOBs in your home environment and what SQL version are you using in both environments?

Edit: Also what do you want RBS to do and what do you think it does? In 2013 it's mostly a waste of effort.

mercredi 21 mai 2014 22:21
  • Hi,

It doesn't matter the size. I'm just testing and using all kind of size above the threshold set it for RBS and is working.

I'm doing the same at work and it doesn't. The only différences are: at work I'm using OWA and is not for the main wws_content.

Do you think it could be related?

Thanks

jeudi 22 mai 2014 02:54
  • Nope, that's why i ignored those aspects and asked questions about areas that might be relevant.

If it works in one environment and not the other the most likely reason is that you made a mistake in one environment but not the other or there's a deeper underlying difference.

Are you using the same version of SQL at home and how large are the externalised BLOBs at home? Are the entire files making it through unshredded?

jeudi 22 mai 2014 08:17