none
Fix for Hijacked Contacts

שאלה

• It's been reported as far back as 2007 but I haven't found a way (if there is one) to fix it. My Outlook 2010 contacts have been hijacked and spam emails are being sent using my name which are originating in Panama. I've got a bad feeling about the answer to this, but is there ANY way to fix this? I've got a lot of unhappy contacts right now.

Peter

pmanse@hotmail.com

Peter

יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 03:01

תשובות

כל התגובות

• Your outlook contacts or your hotmail contacts were hijacked? In either case, you cant do much but change your password or remove the exploit that allowed this to happen.

Spammers will often use real peoples address on spam, resulting in tons of NDRs coming back. You can't prevent this or stop it.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 04:18
  • Hello,

I would suggest you to change your password and use a strong password. You can mark the addresses as spam so next time they will be moved to spam folder.

יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 05:12
  • Thank you both for your suggestions but neither will fix my problem. My PC is not sending the mail. It is being sent by a server in Panama. Frankly, I don't think there's anything to be done but to block it but I was hoping that, since this is a fairly common attack, that a better solution had been found by now. Does anyone know more about this attack?

Peter

יום ראשון 24 יוני 2012 19:46
  • There really no way to stop someone from faking your address in the from field. It's not even worth the effort to complain to the server owner - it's probably the spammer and he'll use your address more.

If they are sending to people in your address book and its an online account (hotmail, gmail, etc or even comcast etc) you need to immediately change your password. If you have any suspicions that the computer is compromised, copy a word from a file and paste it in the password fields.

You can create filters to get rid of the resulting non-delivery reports but that is the extent of your options.

יום ראשון 24 יוני 2012 19:58
  • Thank you, Diane. I've changed my password so let's see what that does. In the meantime, I can't be sure if they're using my Hotmail contacts or my Outlook contacts. (I use Outlook Connector to link to Hotmail from Outlook if that makes a difference.) So can you tell me what your suggestion to "coopy a word from a file and past it in the password fields" does? I'm not sure what you mean.

Peter

יום ראשון 24 יוני 2012 22:39
  • If you think your computer might be infected with a keylogger, if you copy a word from a document to use as a password and paste it in the password field, the keylogger can't detect it.

יום ראשון 24 יוני 2012 23:56