none
ink. files

שאלה

• When sending my professors my papers via the college's site, some of my papers change from doc. files to ink. files. The college Its have been unable to help me. Can you?

Thanks,

Ed Will 

יום שני 11 יוני 2012 16:02

תשובות

•  Yes it is a .lnk file.  I read another of your responses that cleared that up. I wrote the query for my wife. She uses a system at Metro State in Denver. It's called Blackboard and has its own email system. Attaching files works the same as normal email. I noticed yesterday the file that didn't go through was stored in Word, whereas the one that did go through was in The computer lab uses  Foxfire as its browser. We have Explorer.

Your help is really appreciated,

ed will

PS: The lab ITs have been no help but that's probably because I don't enough about computers to articulate an answerable question. I hope a more experienced person can understand the issue.

Ed Will

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Ed Will יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 18:35
    יום שלישי 12 יוני 2012 20:32

כל התגובות

• Do you mean a .LNK file?  If so, this is like a shortcut to a file.  Perhaps you are sendign them a short cuto to yoru file and not the file itself.  Can you describe exactly HOW you are sending the file?

Sean McCaskey

יום שני 11 יוני 2012 21:36
  •  Yes it is a .lnk file.  I read another of your responses that cleared that up. I wrote the query for my wife. She uses a system at Metro State in Denver. It's called Blackboard and has its own email system. Attaching files works the same as normal email. I noticed yesterday the file that didn't go through was stored in Word, whereas the one that did go through was in The computer lab uses  Foxfire as its browser. We have Explorer.

Your help is really appreciated,

ed will

PS: The lab ITs have been no help but that's probably because I don't enough about computers to articulate an answerable question. I hope a more experienced person can understand the issue.

Ed Will

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Ed Will יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 18:35
    יום שלישי 12 יוני 2012 20:32
  • Hi,

The .lnk file extension refers to a shortcut link on your computer, not the actual file. This occurs when you upload the document while the file is still open or if you load the file from the Recent Files folder instead of My Documents, My Computer, or the Desktop.

Be sure to close out of the file before attempting to upload the document into your Blackboard course and never upload files from the Recent Files folder because the files stored in that folder are all shortcut links to the actual files on your computer.

As an added precaution, if you have “file extension for know file types” hidden, I would suggest making them visible. You can do this under TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS in the View tab. When you go to upload the file, make sure it has a file extension attached (.doc, .rtf, .txt, etc.).

Any file that does not have a file extension at the end is a shortcut link and will come up with the .lnk extension when it is uploaded.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי EdenSingh יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 05:13
    יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 03:02
  • Thank you so much. William, you explained it beatifully. I would give way more than a score of 1 if I knew how. Thanks again. Ed Will

Ed Will

יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 04:50
  • Hello,

I agree with William. .lnk are the soft links or shortcuts to the original files.

יום שישי 22 יוני 2012 05:14