none
Upgrade to Office 2013 deletes Outlook Categories (on Windows 8)

Domanda

• Hello

What is the recommended way of grouping Outlook Contacts (eg: customers, staff etc..) to work seamlessly across Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office 2013 and which will be future proof?

After upgrading to Windows 8 and buying a Windows 8 Phone I set up my Microsoft Account and synced my Outlook 2010 email, contacts and calendar to the cloud (which in practice means a difficult struggle with Hotmail Connector).

Then I upgraded to Office 2013 Pro Plus default install. This removed the Hotmail Connector so my recently setup cloud account does not show in Outlook 2013. After a while I discovered that I have to set up Active Sync to Hotmail. Again, this is not the seamless experience I was hoping for.

Now all of my Outlook Contacts Categories have disappeared.

• Modificato BayTree mercoledì 12 dicembre 2012 09:18
    mercoledì 12 dicembre 2012 08:09

Risposte

• Pop3/IMAP mailbox upgrade is not smooth unfortunately.

In both the Preview and RTM there are send/receive errors on the mailbox. Reverting to Outlook 2010 resolves these errors. ScanPST does not help.

I had to archive all messages and create a new PST file in Outlook 2013.

I have now restored my PC from backup image to remove Office 2013 Pro Plus and all problems disappear. I simply do not have the time to waste on stuff like this and neither do my customers.

lunedì 17 dicembre 2012 08:26

Tutte le risposte

• Well, the behavior your mentioned is expected. Outlook 2013 uses EAS to connect to Hotmail accounts and no longer supports the Outlook connector (OLC).  When you upgrade to Outlook 2013 from an earlier version of Outlook, Outlook identifies all accounts that are using the OLC and that need to be migrated. 

Note: During the upgrade process the current Hotmail connector is not removed. It requires that you manually uninstall the old Hotmail connector.

For the behavior: "Now all of my Outlook Contacts Categories have disappeared". I would like to say that EAS supports synching assigned Categories, but the category color is not synchronized. That means assigned existing categories do not show color. You may use MFCMAPI tool to confirm it the properties of catagory. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

venerdì 14 dicembre 2012 02:15
    Moderatore
  • Hi Tony

Yes you are right - the Hotmail connector is not automatically removed. Users are left wondering why the Hotmail connector is not working because it is left installed. I had to trawl the internet to discover that you have to manually uninstall it, then set up a new Active Sync Account. Not good.

What is the MFCMAPI tool? Surely users are not expected to use a separate tool to manage categories? Maybe better to Group contacts/people by another means?

My question is:

What is the recommended way of grouping Outlook Contacts (eg: customers, staff etc..) to work seamlessly across Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office 2013 and which will be future proof?

• Modificato BayTree venerdì 14 dicembre 2012 07:52
    venerdì 14 dicembre 2012 07:50
  • "What is the MFCMAPI tool? Surely users are not expected to use a separate tool to manage categories? Maybe better to Group contacts/people by another means?"

- In this situation, it is just a tool that let us verify that the properties of Outlook Contacts Categories is not removed but the color is gone. For more information, you can see the link below: http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2010/05/14/useful-tools-while-troubleshooting-outlook-issues-3-mfcmapi.aspx

"What is the recommended way of grouping Outlook Contacts (eg: customers, staff etc..) to work seamlessly across Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office 2013 and which will be future proof?"

- For the Pop3/IMAP or Exchange, the upgrad would be smooth. If you the Category color is lost, we may try right click the mailbox and then choose Data file Properties > General Tab > Upgrade to Color Categories... However, for Live account, the mode is changed to EAS, I have no idea to work it seamlessly so far.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

lunedì 17 dicembre 2012 02:39
    Moderatore
  • Pop3/IMAP mailbox upgrade is not smooth unfortunately.

In both the Preview and RTM there are send/receive errors on the mailbox. Reverting to Outlook 2010 resolves these errors. ScanPST does not help.

I had to archive all messages and create a new PST file in Outlook 2013.

I have now restored my PC from backup image to remove Office 2013 Pro Plus and all problems disappear. I simply do not have the time to waste on stuff like this and neither do my customers.

lunedì 17 dicembre 2012 08:26
  • All right. Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

martedì 18 dicembre 2012 01:18
    Moderatore
  • Hi Tony

I am trying again as the Christmas period gives me some time to look into this.

First I ran SCANPST on my Outlook 2010 POP3 mailbox files and fixed any errors found. Then I upgraded to Office 2013 Pro Plus.

My Contacts list is on Outlook.com so it can be accessed by my Windows phone and my Surface tablet etc.. After the Office 2013 upgrade all of my Contacts Categories disappeared (this must mean that Categories are stored locally even if the Contacts list is in the cloud).

I downloaded MFCMAPI but cannot see any categories like you said there would be.

Please advise

sabato 22 dicembre 2012 11:47
  • Sorry, I would correct my description. The Master Category List is stored into the pst/ost-file and it is not the property of the message item in Outlook 2007 and higher version. (In Outlook 2003, MCL is stored in registry)

Thus, to build the new category list in Outlook 2013, you can right click on the top of the mailbox and choose Properties. Here you’ll see a button called “Upgrade to Color Categories…”. When you press this button, Outlook will look through the entire mailbox for categories and when found, it will add them to the Master Category List. But the category color would not be recovered.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

martedì 25 dicembre 2012 05:29
    Moderatore
  • Hi Tony

I clicked the button "Upgrade to Color Categories"

No categories were added to the list and no Contacts were categorised.

giovedì 27 dicembre 2012 16:09
  • Do you used that fixed PST file to test? (via SCANPST.exe)

Create a new pst in Outlook 2010 and set Categories to one message and then migration Outlook 2013 to check the result.

Tony Chen

venerdì 28 dicembre 2012 09:51
    Moderatore
  • Hi Tony

Yes I did use the "fixed" PST. I cannot use Outlook 2010 because I have upgraded to Outlook 2013.

sabato 29 dicembre 2012 13:42
  • I think the catagory information is lost somehow and there might be no way to recover it currently. In my site, these catagories would migrate to new Outlook 2013 but no color. Thanks.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

lunedì 31 dicembre 2012 10:02
    Moderatore
  • Hi gocat,

If you haven't found the answer yet, here's what I found - and it worked!

I came across a page on this forum that was labeled: "Help! Custom color categories suddenly gone in Outlook 2013..." You can do a search to find it if you'd like.

I followed the person's link to outlookfreeware. com where I simply downloaded the export categories and the import categories utilities (you have to include the outlookfreeware utility too).

My outlook 2013 gave me a group of folders called "personal folders," separate from my main group of folders, and the same for my contacts (I guess this is because outlook 2013 requires the hotmail login stuff, etc. or other whatevers that are beyond my knowledge). My contacts in that area showed all my original categories, but they weren't in my master category list.

Anyway, I first ran the utility with outlook closed (just in case it mattered), first choosing the export and then my 'personal folders' section.

Then opened my 2013 outlook. There was a tab now labeled outlookfreeware that I clicked on and used to "override master categories" with the exported file I had previously made, and - voila! - now all my categories are in the Outlook 2013 master categories just like they're supposed to be.

Whew! That was a close one.

kbRocket

lunedì 1 aprile 2013 16:47
  • This question is still open when related to Outlook.com

i.e. Who should be told in the Outlook.com team that sync'ing users custom categories would be beneficial when that user logs into their mail from a web browser? Currently there is no way to see Outlook 2013 categories when away from your local PC.

ENV

lunedì 15 luglio 2013 19:13
  • I couldn't have been more "pissed" at the loss of my highly detailed categories --- I have 7000+ contacts and have been a religious user of outlook since 1996....e..g, very early on.    Moves like this make me consider moving off Outlook and leveraging a more sophisticated contact management offering.   

sabato 19 aprile 2014 19:35