none
two Lync Organizations federation

Domanda

• hi

which Features are available when i federate My Lync Environment with Other Partner lync environment ?

I've heard we can have only IM & Presence with Lync to lync Federation? is this right ? or we can have Audio and video P2p and Conferencing Federation?

What about Enterprise Voice? can i make a unified Topology whit two Separate Forests ?

Regards,

Ravaghi

domenica 27 maggio 2012 20:41

Risposte

• Federation gives you the full Lync experience, controlled via policy.  So there is no reason you can't have IM/P, Audio, Video, DTS, etc.  EV is accomplished via a Lync-to-Lync call.

As for the topo with two different forests, I guess I would need to know more details.  You can go with a resource forest and trust between others or something along those lines.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM

domenica 27 maggio 2012 22:32
  • Two separate forests will need to communicate with each other via Edge Servers.  This would be true even if the two were on the same network or in a situation where they could communicate directly with each other, you would still need edge servers.  There is no need for the two systems to have any type of Forest Trusts between them to accomplish this.

And yes, you can absolutely use Audio/Video for both P2P and Conferencing between federated partners as long as you allow this behavior via policy.

Thanks,

Richard

giovedì 7 giugno 2012 12:20

Tutte le risposte

• Federation gives you the full Lync experience, controlled via policy.  So there is no reason you can't have IM/P, Audio, Video, DTS, etc.  EV is accomplished via a Lync-to-Lync call.

As for the topo with two different forests, I guess I would need to know more details.  You can go with a resource forest and trust between others or something along those lines.

Thanks,

Richard

domenica 27 maggio 2012 22:32
  • thanks Richard

so for now i know i can have Full Features of Lync Across Two Separate Forests ! the main thing is which i choose ? Resource Forest or Central Forest ?

what is the difference and Benefits ?

About Topology :

We have all DCs 2008 R2 - Exchange 2010 in both Forests - and have Site-to-Site Vpn Connectivity by TMG - no Trust relation is made yet.

bu the way which solution i have to choos ? ILM - FIM or MIIS ?

Regards,

Ravaghi

lunedì 28 maggio 2012 05:31
  • Federation provides your organization with the ability to communicate with other organization’s Edge Servers to share instant messaging (IM) and presence information. You can also federate with an audio conferencing provider.

Here is another article that will help you to understand the federation better. Have a check.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

martedì 29 maggio 2012 03:42
  • hi Noya

Finally , Tell me can i use a simple Lync to lync call (audio/video) and or Conferencing Features between Two Separate Domain which they have their own Lync Schema ? Richard told about availability of all Lync Features Between them and you are talking about only IM & Presence ?

in other hand if i want to federate tow separate Domains , do i need to have AD Trusts between domains ?

Regards

giovedì 7 giugno 2012 06:39
  • Two separate forests will need to communicate with each other via Edge Servers.  This would be true even if the two were on the same network or in a situation where they could communicate directly with each other, you would still need edge servers.  There is no need for the two systems to have any type of Forest Trusts between them to accomplish this.

And yes, you can absolutely use Audio/Video for both P2P and Conferencing between federated partners as long as you allow this behavior via policy.

Thanks,

Richard

giovedì 7 giugno 2012 12:20