none
Problem linking cells between workbooks

질문

• I have an employee who is having trouble linking cells together between documents. The issue occurs when trying to link cells between documents opened from different sources. At first, I thought it was an issue with hyperthreading, so I had her disable the hyperthreading options within Excel and then I even had her disable hyperthreading on her machine all together, but to no avail.  Here is an exmaple:

**I open Excel and create a new workbook and then open another workbook using File > Open. When I try to link cells between the two workbooks it works fine and all cells link properly.

**I open Excel and create a new workbook and then open another workbook from a different source (like an e-mail attachment or by double clicking the workbook inside a folder) then when I try to link cells between those two documents, it will not let me. When I use the link formula (=) in the original workbook then click into the other workbook, it disregards the formula and does not link the cells (Instead of getting a cell surrounded with dotted lines when linking the cell, it stays solid and does not link).

What I tested was that Excel was opening two separate instances of itself when opening workbooks from multiple sources, which indeed it was. Hence, I figured disabling hyperthreading would fix this issue. It seems to fix it on MY machine but when my employee tries this, Excel still poses the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    2012년 3월 13일 화요일 오후 2:04

답변

• Hi Doug,

Could you please try to use Copy and Paste Link to link the cells?

If the file opened is in a Protected View, please click “Enable Editing”.

Then please follow the steps:

1. Click the cell that contains the data you want to link to.
    2. On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Copy

Keyboard shortcut  You can also press CTRL+C.

1. Click the cell that you want to link from.
    2. On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste

By default, the Paste Options button appears when you paste copied data.

1. Click the Paste Options button, and then click Paste Link

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오전 1:22
    중재자

모든 응답

• Hi,

Sorry for mixing into your question, but I'm having the same problem and have been looking over the internet for a long time without any result, hope somebody is able to help here. I am not a pro and I would like to ask you how I can disable hyperthreading as you mentioned in your post ? 

Thanks in advance !

Noël

2012년 3월 13일 화요일 오후 3:18
  • Hey Noel,

I actually made a video on how to disable hyperthreading a few weeks ago. You can check it out here: disabling hyperthreading

Could you let me know if by disabling hyperthreading you are now able to link cells between workbooks?

Thanks!

• 편집됨 DougTNS 2012년 3월 14일 수요일 오후 3:41 forgot link
    2012년 3월 14일 수요일 오후 3:39
  • Hi Doug,

Could you please try to use Copy and Paste Link to link the cells?

If the file opened is in a Protected View, please click “Enable Editing”.

Then please follow the steps:

1. Click the cell that contains the data you want to link to.
    2. On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Copy

Keyboard shortcut  You can also press CTRL+C.

1. Click the cell that you want to link from.
    2. On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste

By default, the Paste Options button appears when you paste copied data.

1. Click the Paste Options button, and then click Paste Link

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오전 1:22
    중재자
  • Hi Doug,

Apparently I can't change this in my BIOS, I have a Sony Vaoi VPCF1, I can get into the BIOS screen, but I can't change any features like you mentioned in your video.

Thanks for the suggestion

Noël

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오전 10:08