none
Power point Slide Master: How to copy/paste slides from different presentation WITHOUT changing the slide master

질문

• Hello,

I am trying to find a way to protect my slide master. In fact, every time I copy/paste slides from different presentations, the slide master changes (e.g, it inserts an other slide master or other slides layout, which are different from my orignal slide master template).

FYI -> when I copy paste the slides from different sources, I don't use "keep the source formatting", as I want those slides to fit with the recipient master slides

Could you please help me?

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오후 3:56

답변

• Hi

I've done a bit more testing and the symptoms you describe "it added few more slides within the 'slide master' " appears to happen when the option for Keep source formatting is ticked (bottom left corner of the Reuse Slide Task Pane).

If the tick is removed the additional slides are not added to the Slide Master.

However in both cases if both presentations have footers then the footer content is transfered to the inserted slides form the other presentaion, for the inserted slides only.

The only workaround I can suggest is that after adding the slides with the Reuse option.  Select a slide in the orignal presentation (the one you have added the slides to), and use the Insert tabs Header & Footer, then Apply to All button to reset all the footers to the one on the slide you have selected. Even this is not perfect as in some cases the footer on the Reused slides my display in a font not consistant with the rest of the presentation.

What you are experiencing seems to be normal for PowerPoint but probably not what you'd expect. The feature is probably intended for reusing standard content slides eg diagrams. Such slides could be available to an entire organisation through a network share or Sharepoint (even produced by graphic designers).  In such cases the presentaion specific data in the footers would not be present/known.

All I can suggest that will work every time is to make sure the file from which the slides are taken has no Header & Footer.  Then reapply the Master presentations Header & Footer after the slides have been Reused.

G North MCT

• 답변으로 표시됨 William Zhou CHN 2012년 3월 26일 월요일 오전 8:57
    2012년 3월 20일 화요일 오후 8:39

모든 응답

• Hi

I would suggest not using copy and paste, using the Reuse Slides command (Office 2007 & 10). Using this method the slides can be added from an existing presentation without transfering the Slide Master.

You will find this command at the bottom of the New Slide button on the Home tab. Just select the command then locate the file containing the slides to be copied.  Once selected the slides will appear in the Task Pane and you can choose which to transfer.

I have noticed some issues when this is done from an earlier file (.ppt) type.  But normally the issues can be fixed by reapplying the Slide layout.

Hope this helps

G North MCT

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오후 6:27
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

I have already tried this method. Unfortunately, the slides master changes anyway; e.g. when I reused several slides and inserted them to my current presentation -> it added few more slides within the 'slide master' with a different footer and header, which are different from my original 'slide master'. In the end I have slides with 2 kind of footer.

Would you know how I can avoid this? make sure NO slides will be included or impact my 'slide master' ?

thank you

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오전 10:28
  • Hi

I've done a bit more testing and the symptoms you describe "it added few more slides within the 'slide master' " appears to happen when the option for Keep source formatting is ticked (bottom left corner of the Reuse Slide Task Pane).

If the tick is removed the additional slides are not added to the Slide Master.

However in both cases if both presentations have footers then the footer content is transfered to the inserted slides form the other presentaion, for the inserted slides only.

The only workaround I can suggest is that after adding the slides with the Reuse option.  Select a slide in the orignal presentation (the one you have added the slides to), and use the Insert tabs Header & Footer, then Apply to All button to reset all the footers to the one on the slide you have selected. Even this is not perfect as in some cases the footer on the Reused slides my display in a font not consistant with the rest of the presentation.

What you are experiencing seems to be normal for PowerPoint but probably not what you'd expect. The feature is probably intended for reusing standard content slides eg diagrams. Such slides could be available to an entire organisation through a network share or Sharepoint (even produced by graphic designers).  In such cases the presentaion specific data in the footers would not be present/known.

All I can suggest that will work every time is to make sure the file from which the slides are taken has no Header & Footer.  Then reapply the Master presentations Header & Footer after the slides have been Reused.

G North MCT

• 답변으로 표시됨 William Zhou CHN 2012년 3월 26일 월요일 오전 8:57
    2012년 3월 20일 화요일 오후 8:39
  • I'm having this same problem. I have an old work template and a new one. I'm using 2010, and I've tried pasting with "use destination theme." I've also tried inserting Reuse Slides with "Keep source formatting" unticked. Either way, it just adds the old template to the master, and it won't let me erase it once it's there. So far the only way I can get around it is to manually click layout and update the layout for the slides, but surely there's a way to paste them and have them update right away. Isn't that the point of "use destination theme?" Thanks!
    2012년 3월 29일 목요일 오후 4:08