none
Mobility Update Breaks Web Conferencing Proxy: Meeting URL is not valid.

질문

• After deploying the November Cumulative update 7577.183 and following the steps in the new Mobility Guide, users cannot seem to access conferences externally.  For instance, when someone uses the Lync client and chooses Meet Now, and then an external user tries to access the meeting from the generated hyperlink, an error is received on the Lync webpage:

https://lyncmeet.mydomain.com/some.user/C9G5M9Y2

Meeting URL is not valid.

The URL works fine on the internal network using either Lync Web App or the full Lync Client.   But externally the meeting URL does not redirect to https://lyncmeet.mydomain.com/meet/* or https://lyncweb.mydomain.com/reach/* as expected.

However, Mobility Services are properly traversing the TMG reverse proxy from the external network and redirect to the External Web Services URL https://lyncweb.mydomain.com/mcx/* as defined in the Topology Builder and mobile devices are connected with presence.

The TMG is using a public wildcard cert, and the Lync Front End has a private SAN cert with the needed names.  There is one TMG proxy rule for Lync that includes all URLs and it is the first in the list.  I tried tracing URL Rewrites as per this article, but no logs were being generated.

Any suggestions on what else to check would be appreciated.

2011년 12월 15일 목요일 오전 1:05

답변

• I was able to resolve the issue.  Somehow the patch 7577.183 did not update one of the web.config files, though it did update the others.  Files for launching web meetings are in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Web Components\Join Launcher\Ext.

Files from the patch are dated 11/16/2011, so in this directory if the date on your web.config file does not reflect that, it might not have gotten updated.  In my case, the file still had a URL Rewrite Rule in the body, which was invalid.  The web.config file should look like this instead:

External Join Launcher Web.config File Contents:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework">

<section name="OCSAuthConfig" type="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework.OCSAuthConfig,Microsoft.Rtc.Server.WebInfrastructure, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework>

<OCSAuthConfig>

<vdirAuth authType="Anonymous" isInternal="false" />

</OCSAuthConfig>

</Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework>

<appSettings>

<add key="isExternalSite" value="true" />

<add key="MobileJoinEnabled" value="true" />

</appSettings>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

-->

<compilation debug="false"/>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<authentication mode="None"/>

</system.web>

<!--

The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet

Information Services 7.0.  It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.

-->

<system.webServer>

<modules>

<add name="OCSAuthHelperModule"/>

<add name="OCSAuthModule" type="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework.OCSAuthModule,Microsoft.Rtc.Server.WebInfrastructure, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

</modules>

</system.webServer>

</configuration>

NOTE: For the internal site join launcher, the web.config file is identical except that isInternal is true and isExternalSite is false.

NOTE: The contents of web.config files found in other directories are different from the one posted here.

Stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service, replace the web.config file, then start IIS again.  You may also want to restart the associated Lync services:

Lync Server Audio/Video Conferencing

Lync Server Conferencing Announcement

Lync Server Conferencing Attendant

Lync Server IM Conferencing

Lync Server Web Conferencing

Lync Server Web Conferencing Compatibility

2011년 12월 15일 목요일 오후 11:38

모든 응답

• I was able to resolve the issue.  Somehow the patch 7577.183 did not update one of the web.config files, though it did update the others.  Files for launching web meetings are in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Web Components\Join Launcher\Ext.

Files from the patch are dated 11/16/2011, so in this directory if the date on your web.config file does not reflect that, it might not have gotten updated.  In my case, the file still had a URL Rewrite Rule in the body, which was invalid.  The web.config file should look like this instead:

External Join Launcher Web.config File Contents:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework">

<section name="OCSAuthConfig" type="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework.OCSAuthConfig,Microsoft.Rtc.Server.WebInfrastructure, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework>

<OCSAuthConfig>

<vdirAuth authType="Anonymous" isInternal="false" />

</OCSAuthConfig>

</Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework>

<appSettings>

<add key="isExternalSite" value="true" />

<add key="MobileJoinEnabled" value="true" />

</appSettings>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

-->

<compilation debug="false"/>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<authentication mode="None"/>

</system.web>

<!--

The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet

Information Services 7.0.  It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.

-->

<system.webServer>

<modules>

<add name="OCSAuthHelperModule"/>

<add name="OCSAuthModule" type="Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.WebServicesAuthFramework.OCSAuthModule,Microsoft.Rtc.Server.WebInfrastructure, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

</modules>

</system.webServer>

</configuration>

NOTE: For the internal site join launcher, the web.config file is identical except that isInternal is true and isExternalSite is false.

NOTE: The contents of web.config files found in other directories are different from the one posted here.

Stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service, replace the web.config file, then start IIS again.  You may also want to restart the associated Lync services:

Lync Server Audio/Video Conferencing

Lync Server Conferencing Announcement

Lync Server Conferencing Attendant

Lync Server IM Conferencing

Lync Server Web Conferencing

Lync Server Web Conferencing Compatibility

2011년 12월 15일 목요일 오후 11:38
  • Great catch Mancer! I've been beating my head against the wall today trying to figure this one out. Did you figure this out on your own or come across someone else with the same problem? I've noticed that this does indeed solve the problem, but external meetings using the web client are significantly slower to connect. Are you also experiencing this?
    • 편집됨 dskurtzjr 2011년 12월 16일 금요일 오전 7:00
    2011년 12월 16일 금요일 오전 6:08
  • Hi,there,

Did you follow the guide strictly to stop Lync services at first then stop World Wide Web service with command net stop w3svc,installed the update package with the steps in KB 2492736,afterward restart server and stop Lync services again then restart the World Wide Web service.

Anyway,glad you got it works finally and thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Regards,

Sharon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    2011년 12월 16일 금요일 오전 7:13
  • Sharon,

Yes, I followed the following guide:

www.ultimate-communications.com/2011/12/best-practices-when-updating-lync-server-with-those-cumulative-updates-lync/

2011년 12월 16일 금요일 오후 3:41
  • I did not notice any decrease in the conference connection speeds, though I notice TMG is sometimes slow to pick up new mobile connections, and can take two attempts.  If a lot of mobile devices start to proxy through the TMG, then I could see the performance of the web conferencing becoming impacted if the TMG is underpowered.

I had to figure this one out by comparing the broken Front End to a working one in order to determine which file was missed, as there was no other info out there on this problem that I could find.  I was also under pressure to get it working again, plus keep the mobility service, so I dug in for two days of tracing.

As described in the mobility doc, I did attempt to follow the multiple steps of stopping Lync, stopping WWW, then patching, rebooting, stopping Lync again, then restarting WWW.  Frankly, I found this part poorly worded and difficult to grasp even after a few reads.  The process seemed convoluted to me that so many stops/starts should be needed, though now I see why since it has to rewrite so many config files that IIS has loaded.  It seems there has to be a better way to patch this part of the procedure.

2011년 12월 21일 수요일 오전 6:23
  • Hi,

I have the exact issue mentioned above but the fix does not seem to work for me...

Anything else that I can try?

Thanks.

2012년 2월 10일 금요일 오전 6:22
  • Hi Everyone,

I just installed the Lync Mobile service and I am getting the same exact error.   My file is updated 11/16/2011 and it still does not work.  Not to mention the Mobile clients are not able to connect. form outside the company.   I followed this link and I am not getting good results.  Can someone Help me with this issue.   I have tmg rule setup correctly.  My Droid and Windows 7 phone will not work at all and now my meet link is broken.   I am seriously thinking about removing the mobility part just to have my meeting link work again. 

2012년 3월 30일 금요일 오후 2:31