none
Right-mouse-click causes problems in Outlook 2010 -- pegs one core to 100% and cannot display right-mouse-click menu

Întrebare

• Hello,  I am experiencing one of the strangest behaviors I have ever seen.    I have a Windows 7 Home Premium system. It has Outlook 2010 Ultimate.  It's only about a year hold and was working perfectly until recently.

If I select two or more emails in Outlook 2010, and do a right-mouse-click (RMC),  the RMC menu pops up and immediately closes.  There is a circular activity indicator indicating activity.   Task Manager indicates that Outlook is taking almost 100 percent of one of the CPU cores. If I leave it in this state, it never recovers.  I have to shut down Outlook.

If I select only one item, I am able to RMC to get the normal menu to do stuff like delete and move the email.

I have updated Windows 7, Microsoft Office and all the HP drivers.   I've run the HP tools to defrag and clean-up the registry.

When it gets into this mode,   I am unable to RMC on anything: Outlook, the desktop, taskbar, etc.   I normally have to reboot in order to recover.   

I find that if I restart the  service  Desktop Window Manager Session Manager daemon, it often fixes the problem.  What weird is if this service is running, halting fixes the problem for a while.  If the service is halted,  starting it back up often temporarily fixes the problem.

Now for the really weird part...  If I remote desktop into my work machine over a VPN, I see the same thing.  If I RMC two or more emails on the work machine, my local machine pegs one of the cores and I can bring up a RMC menu on anything.

If completely uninstalled Office 2010 and reinstalled it .. same thing.     I suspect the problem is not related to Outlook but that's where it's manifesting the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, this is driving me crazy.

I have also tried to restore back to a previous date to see if something like an auto-update caused this issue but no luck there either.

Regards,

16 martie 2012 02:13

Răspunsuri

• Thanks for the response Max.    I fixed the problem yesterday afternoon and was just about to post the answer.

You're not going to believe this, but the problem ended up being my keyboard.  I replaced the batteries and it has been

running fine ever since.    

Makes no sense that the only problem I exhibited was with Outlook and only when I high-lighed two more more items.

I set up a reminder in Outlook to change the batteries every 6 months.

Thanks again,

Gary Belanger

• Marcat ca răspuns de garbel12 19 martie 2012 12:53
    19 martie 2012 12:53

Toate mesajele

• Hello there,

For this issue, please try the following steps to narrow down the root cause:

1. Run Outlook in safe mode to determine if it is caused by the 3rd-party add-ins. To do so, type Outlook.exe /safe in the Run window and press Enter.

If this problem won't occur in the safe mode, please disable all the add-ins and enable them one by one to find out which one might cause this problem. (Work with Office safe modes)

2. Run Windows in the clean boot mode to determine if it is caused by the 3rd-party services. To do so, follow the steps in the support article - How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

19 martie 2012 05:02
  • Thanks for the response Max.    I fixed the problem yesterday afternoon and was just about to post the answer.

You're not going to believe this, but the problem ended up being my keyboard.  I replaced the batteries and it has been

running fine ever since.    

Makes no sense that the only problem I exhibited was with Outlook and only when I high-lighed two more more items.

I set up a reminder in Outlook to change the batteries every 6 months.

Thanks again,

Gary Belanger

• Marcat ca răspuns de garbel12 19 martie 2012 12:53
    19 martie 2012 12:53
  • I got to believe it...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

19 martie 2012 14:03