none
Recovering an excel workbook from a deleted xar recovery file.

Întrebare

• I worked on an exel spreadsheet for several hrs with out it being manually saved. I had several other workbooks open and did not modify them. When I shut down excel I mistakenly told excel not to save the work. I can recover the xar excel recovery file. How do I get the modified workbook from the xar file? I am using excel 2003 on an XP computer.

If this is not the correct place to ask this question please suggest where to ask!

20 mai 2011 04:12

Răspunsuri

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you want to modify workbook from the .xar file. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Step 1 Copy & rename .xar file to .xls file

a)       Located to .xar file folder

b)       tried copying the .xar file and renaming it to .xls

Step 2 Set associate Excel file type

a)       Right-click the .xar file, Click open with

b)       Click choose program

c)        Select the Alwarys use the selected program to open the kind file checkbox

d)       Click Browse… button ,and then locate to this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

e)       Select Excel, and then click Open

f)        Back to Open with dialog box ,click Ok

How to recover a lost workbook or a lost version of a workbook in Excel 2007 and in Excel 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827298

Description of the AutoRecover functions in Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289273

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    23 mai 2011 08:31

Toate mesajele

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you want to modify workbook from the .xar file. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Step 1 Copy & rename .xar file to .xls file

a)       Located to .xar file folder

b)       tried copying the .xar file and renaming it to .xls

Step 2 Set associate Excel file type

a)       Right-click the .xar file, Click open with

b)       Click choose program

c)        Select the Alwarys use the selected program to open the kind file checkbox

d)       Click Browse… button ,and then locate to this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

e)       Select Excel, and then click Open

f)        Back to Open with dialog box ,click Ok

How to recover a lost workbook or a lost version of a workbook in Excel 2007 and in Excel 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827298

Description of the AutoRecover functions in Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289273

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    23 mai 2011 08:31
  • Hi, William,

I am sorry for the long delay getting back to you, but I've been out of town. Thanks for the tips. I tried all of these after I recovered the xar file with the program "recuva" but the excel program does not recognize the either the xar file or when the file is renamed to an xls file. It says that the format is incorrect. Now it could be that the file gets damaged before recovery and that is the problem. I don't know what's the problem.

I did all the testing on my Vista desktop and tried not to do anything that would over write any of the xar file but that may not have been the case. In any case the actual xar file that was on my XP  laptop could not be recovered because it had been over written. So I guess the point is moot since I don't have the actual file that I wanted to restore. But I would like to know how to restore the xls file if I make the mistake of not saving the modified xls file.

Thanks for the help.

C N Harward
    29 mai 2011 02:29
  • Hi Harward

please refer to this article, How to recover a lost workbook or a lost version of a workbook in Excel 2007 and in Excel 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827298

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN

30 mai 2011 01:52
  • Thank you... saved me some time this one !

3 februarie 2014 15:12