none
missed calls without UM ?

Întrebare

• Is it possible to have missed calls notification without UM integration ? I want to have information on lync and in outllook. Exchange version is 2007.

If it is possible, what should be configured ?

Thanks

8 februarie 2012 08:10

Răspunsuri

• Hi.

When have phone with USB, it uses the local Outlook profile and MAPI to connect Exchange directly over USB. If we unplug USB, it will use EWS (Exchange Web Services) to connect Exchange over HTTPS. The user A without USB did not get MCN even after enabling UM, the issue may occur if certain client did not detect or connect to EWS. In this case, I suggest trying to turn on logging on Lync Server and Lync phone then compare the worked user log and problem user log so that we can find the differences and root cause of the issue. Now, let’s refer to the following tips to troubleshoot the issue.

1) Please enable Lync logging tool on Client and server for a problem user then use snooperto analyze the log to get more specific info for troubleshooting. Let’s refer to the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg558599.aspx

NOTE: Please choose S4 and SIPStack to log.

Snooper tool

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21165

2) Please also try to check EWS log.

Almost every component within the Microsoft Exchange product contains an extensive amount of tracing, which can be enabled for troubleshooting purposes.

Please search “How to Connect EWS Tracing” in the document.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=15668

3) Turn on UC Device CELog File:

Since the issue occurs on Lync Phone Edition, the CELog from the device contains a wealth of troubleshooting information. You can collect CELog file for both a worked user and a problem user to compare.

Please also search "How to Collect and Analyze CELog Data" in document Microsoft_Lync_Server_2010_Understanding_Exchange_Integration.

Once logs are collected, you can let us know the exact information or error message.

Best Regards,

Kent

20 februarie 2012 08:49

Toate mesajele

• You only have basic missed call information.

If you want all info then you must use Exchange UM

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

8 februarie 2012 09:20
  • OK, but what should be done to enable it without UM ?

8 februarie 2012 09:27
  • Lync will leave a missed call notification in your inbox if the call is not answered. This is default behaviour for Lync and does not require UM for it to work. Are you not seeing this in your environment?

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

8 februarie 2012 16:26
  • Yes, I do not see it. But only for some users. Strange thing is that, these are the users, which were first enabled for lync. And it was working for them for some time. 

Could You write how the missed calls are generated ? Or where I can observe the traffic ?
    9 februarie 2012 07:40
  • There is an option in Outlook somewhere that says "Notify me for missed calls" which is for Exchange UM.

I've seen this setting conflict with Lync's ability to place missed call notifications (MCN) in Outlook in the past (i.e. Outlook and Lync fight over which can generate the MCN). Maybe check and see if you turn off the MCN setting in Outlook?

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

9 februarie 2012 14:26
  • Ok, I will clook for it.

Could it be possible that missed calls are not generated because the user is logged on phone and on lync client at once ?

I checked and now I see it works when user is logged only on lync client.

9 februarie 2012 15:23
  • Do you mean a "Lync Phone Edition" phone?

Lync can deposit the MCN in two ways, using the local Outlook profile and MAPI, or using EWS (Exchange Web Services) to contact Exchange directly over HTTPS.

The reason you're seeing it working when you're logged into the Lync client is because Lync has a local connection on the PC to Outlook. You need to have EWS correctly deployed for Lync Phone Edition to insert a MCN into your Exchange mailbox for you.

9 februarie 2012 17:06
  • Yes I mean Lync Phone Edition. For those with USB is the same situation as with logged client (local connection to Outlook) ?

So for phones without usb, EWS should be configured.

I have dns autodiscovery record which is pointing on CAS Exchange servers. It is working without any trouble when UM is enabled.

How can I check my configuration ? Where can I read logs, when I do not have missed calls ?

9 februarie 2012 18:13
  • Hi,

Yes, as justin says, we need to have EWS correctly configured so that LYnc Phone Edition can be connected with Exchange mailbox.

Since you cannot seen call notification when you were using Lync Edition without usb connection, there maybe something wrong that lead to EWS unabailable on Lync phone edition. Here are some tips for this issue:

1. Test EWS Connectivity:

The following Windows PowerShell cmdlet can be used to test connectivity to Exchange Web Services.

Cmdlet:  Test-WebServicesConnectivity

The following Windows PowerShell cmdlet can be used to test Exchange Web Services connectivity by querying the Autodiscover service for EWS information.

Cmdlet:  Test-WebServicesConnectivity -UseAutodiscoverForClientAccessServer

2. Check DNS and SRV records in your internal DNS server:

Lync clients and Lync Phone use Autodiscover to locate several Microsoft Exchange web service (EWS) URLs.  The Lync clients and devices will only use the DNS-based discovery method.  Thus, please try to check DNS and SRV records for Lync Phone edition in your internal DNS server.

3. Check if the Autodiscover/EWS certificate is trusted by the Lync Phone. Please refer to the details in the following link to check it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398270.aspx

Also, please make sure you didn’t use wildcard certificate for your exchange server,since Lync phone edition didn’t support it.

4. Autodiscover/EWS site is configured to use Basic, NTLM, and Windows Integrated Authentication. By default, the Lync Phone such as Polycom CX700 IP desk phones use NTLM for authentication.  If Basic Authentication is offered by the Exchange server, the Polycom CX700 IP desk phone will not be able to authenticate correctly to Exchange Web Services.

In addition, more detailed about troubleshooting EWS issue, we can refer to the following document:

Best Regards,

Kent HX

10 februarie 2012 11:28
  • Thank You for reply. Information update:

1. Test-WebServicesConnectivity -UseAutodiscoverForClientAccessServer gave success

2. DNS SRV record is created

3. Configuration information from users, who got client and lync phone edition enabled:

EWS Information - EWS Status OK

EWS Internal URL - exists

EWS External URL - exists

4. Lync phone edition + lync client + UM enabled -> Missed calls are on outlook

5. Lync phone edition + lync client -> No missed calls on outlook

10 februarie 2012 17:44
  • Any other idea, what can i change?

the phones got newest Update 4047.

13 februarie 2012 21:54
  • Hi,

I noticed you mentioned that this issue only occurs for some users. Could some other users still receive missed call notification when disabling Exchange UM, without USB and logging only on Lync Phone Edition? I suggest you set the same configuration (disable UM, unplug USB, only log on Lync Phone Edition) for your other users and those problem user (that had MCN problem) and test if all users have this issue.

Best Reards,

Kent

• Editat de Kent HX 14 februarie 2012 10:46
    14 februarie 2012 10:45
  • I checked the settings of 2 users (existing longer - call him A, new one - call him B):

A - got UM, do not have it now,

B - do not have UM.

Setting in Exchange - the same, settings in Lync - the same, setting in AD - the same.

Differences in names: A had "-" sign, B have only letters.

A logs to phone by PIN (no USB) - no missed calls, B logs to phone by PIN (no USB) - missed calls are working.

Maybe it's something with user settings in outlook ? 

No idea, still searching.

14 februarie 2012 14:39
  • Hi,iron_flower,

It maybe related to the name with "-" sign,I have seen most of users have encountered the UM integration issue when there are some special characters in the user name.As I know,Lync and Exchange UM can only support the name with standard characters,would you please try to change the name for a test user and verify if it does the trick?

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb

15 februarie 2012 03:07
  • Thanks for advice Sharon, but unluckily I found that some users, who got "-" sign in account name also got missed calls. What about user attributes in AD ?

What is changed when the UM is enabled ?

15 februarie 2012 11:40
  • No idea, why it works for some users and for other not ?

Is there any way to observe how all process behave when we have phone with usb and without usb ?

16 februarie 2012 13:44
  • Hi,

To have the miscall notification on Lync Phone edition, the UM integration is a must unless you plug it with USB to your PC.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2 Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

18 februarie 2012 03:51
  • Hi Tamara,

According to previous comments, I do not need UM, when I want the missed calls on outlook. 

There's Lync Server and Exchange 2007.

User1 do not have UM enabled, Lync Phone Edition with USB connected to computer and wants to have missed calls on outlook.

User2 do not have UM eneabled, Lync Phone Edition withput USB (PIN) and wants to have missed calls on outlook.

For some users (type User1 and type User2) it works, for some not. I wanna know why.

Are we talking about the same scenarios ?

20 februarie 2012 08:25
  • Hi.

When have phone with USB, it uses the local Outlook profile and MAPI to connect Exchange directly over USB. If we unplug USB, it will use EWS (Exchange Web Services) to connect Exchange over HTTPS. The user A without USB did not get MCN even after enabling UM, the issue may occur if certain client did not detect or connect to EWS. In this case, I suggest trying to turn on logging on Lync Server and Lync phone then compare the worked user log and problem user log so that we can find the differences and root cause of the issue. Now, let’s refer to the following tips to troubleshoot the issue.

1) Please enable Lync logging tool on Client and server for a problem user then use snooperto analyze the log to get more specific info for troubleshooting. Let’s refer to the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg558599.aspx

NOTE: Please choose S4 and SIPStack to log.

Snooper tool

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21165

2) Please also try to check EWS log.

Almost every component within the Microsoft Exchange product contains an extensive amount of tracing, which can be enabled for troubleshooting purposes.

Please search “How to Connect EWS Tracing” in the document.

3) Turn on UC Device CELog File:

Since the issue occurs on Lync Phone Edition, the CELog from the device contains a wealth of troubleshooting information. You can collect CELog file for both a worked user and a problem user to compare.

Please also search "How to Collect and Analyze CELog Data" in document Microsoft_Lync_Server_2010_Understanding_Exchange_Integration.

Once logs are collected, you can let us know the exact information or error message.

Best Regards,

Kent

20 februarie 2012 08:49