none
Mail merge to email does not complete in Office 2007

Soru

• When I do a mail merge to email from OL 2007, Word looks as if it completes, no error messages whatsover - all as normal.  (I have been doing this for years).  But when I go to my Sent items, only a handful have actually been generated.  Sometimes 3, sometimes 7, sometimes 10 - and very occasionally, all might actually go and be showing in the Sent Items.  I have searched high and low on this and cannot find an answer.

I use Office 2007 Professional with Windows XP - all updates are applied. Use Exchange Server 2008, and Microsoft Security Essentils as AV.  Any assistance will be VERY much appreciated - it is driving me crazy!!!

Cathy Allington You Grow Pty Ltd

13 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 07:24

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Can you reproduce the issue on other client?
    It seems the issue is caused by some third party program interrupted the sending process or the E-mails were blocked. Please try starting both Word and Outlook in safe mode (Start > Run, run each of the commands: Winword.exe /safe; Outlook.exe /safe) and then use the mail merge feature again.

If it doesn’t work, please perform a clean boot in Windows and repair Office programs to see if the issue can be fixed.
    To perform the clean boot in Windows, follow the steps in the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 03:12
  • Hi Rex:

Thank you very much for coming back to me - much appreciated!!!  I am unable to reproduce the issue on another computer - it is definitely specific to my main PC.  I believe it is something to do with third party software, but have been through all my installed programmes, and there is nothing which stands out as being obvious to me.

I tried starting both Outlook and Word in Safe Mode - only sent one email out of 32.  I tried repairing Office yesterday, but I didn't buy the backup disks for Office 2007 Professional - just have the licence key and package, so not sure if your second suggestion would work?

I did find an obscure post somewhere about changing a registry value to set OL as the default email client (I only use OL and it is the default).  When I checked the registry entry, there was an additional entry which set there had been no defualt email client.  I deleted the registry key, and my next mail merge completed fine.  But the key keeps reappearing.  Does this give you any pointers?

14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 04:05
  • Can you share what the additional registry entry is that you have seen?

Backup your registry and try removing the additional entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

To make the Outlook as default mail client, repairing the program seems to be needed. See the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 04:43
  • Hi Rex:

I cannot remember now - although have searched everywhere - what the registry key change setting actually was.  But I do know that there were 2 key entries under that folder in the registry - and one said "There is no default email client selected.  I deleted this key, and then the mail merge worked as it sould, however, something must be happening for that to be reset.  I tried the MS KB article you mentioned, but I cannot fin any entry called "Sub Key".  I am at a loss as to what to do now.

I am not a novice user of Outlook, but just have no idea what is happening to prevent all emails sent from running a mail merge to email

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 08:08
  • The "subkey" is meaning HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook
    Not the key namely "subkey".

Back up registry before deleting.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 08:18
  • The following screenshot shows the keys in my registry:

Maybe you can compare it with yours?

Rex Zhang

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 08:27
  • Thanks Rex:

Do I delete the entrie key then?  My screenshot looks like below:

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 08:32
  • Make sure you back up the registry. Then delete the entrie key "Microsoft Outlook" and follow the step "Office Diagnostics" mentioned in the article.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 08:40
  • Hi Rex:

thank you.  Just one last question:  Will the detect and repair work if I don't have the original install disks?  I only ever have had the Office 2007 Professional case without disks - just with the licence key on the back.  (It was actually a gift from MS for attending a conference!)

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 09:57
  • Hi,

It depends on if the Local Install Source has been removed or not, see the following article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924616
    If the Local Install Source of Office 2007 has been removed or broken, installation CD is needed for the Detect and repair operation. If you haven’t CD, maybe you can download the Office 2007 installation resource from the following website with your product key:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 01:16
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards, 

Rex Zhang

25 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 06:00
  • Hi Cathy,

Are the selected recipients being chosen from contacts in your email address book, or from the data source itself? Regarding the emails that get sent and those that don't, do:
    • the sent ones match recipients who are contacts in your email address book; and
    • the unsent ones match recipients who are not contacts in your email address book?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

25 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 14:26
  • Hi Rex:

My apologies for taking so long to respond, and thank you for your follow through.

I have:

1. Tried deleting the registry key, and then running Office Diagnostics.  I had some errors on this where it asked me to insert my Office CD.  As you know, I don't have this

2. I downloaded a copy of Office 2007 Professional from the website you pointed me to, using my licence key.  However, it says I have downloaded a "Hybrid" copy - so not sure what to do with this now

3.  The mail merge to email problem still exist.

TIA

Cathy

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 05:18
  • Hi Paul:

The selected recipients are being chosen directly from an Outlook contact folder - as we have done for many years.  This contact folder is denoted as an "Outlook Address Book"

TIA

Cathy

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 05:19
  • OK, but what about the second question?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 05:21
  • Hi Paul:

The Unsent ones are in the same Outlook folder - so yes, they are entries in our Outlook address book.  They are also entries to whom we have previously sent emails using mail merge to email without any problems.

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 05:24
  • The explaination of Office 2007 Hybrid edition can be found in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/456dd5ce-66a5-4d64-938c-126c321bc3b8

It seems this edition can be activated to one of four Office editions, depending on which key they are given.
    Can you see the Setup in the installation resource you have downloaded? If so, run the Setup to see if the Repair option is available.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 05:58
  • Hi Rex:

You are amazing in your follow through and your step by step explanations - thank you.

I ran the .exe file, and yes, it gave me the option to repair, which I selected, then came up with the following prompt?

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 06:13
  • Sorry, I have no idea on this point except the following steps:

1.Create a system restore point in Windows XP.
    2.Try "Add or Remove Features" above the "Repair" when you run Office Setup and removing the Outlook program by setting it to Not Available.
    3.If we can remove the Outlook program by this, the next step is using "Add or Remove Features" to add the Outlook program back by setting it to Run all form My Computer.
    4.If all these steps can be completed successfully, try the mail merge again.
    5.If we fail to repair the Outlook program by "Add or Remove Features", we may consider uninstalling the current Office suite and then install & activate the Hybrid edition with your product key.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 07:41
  • Hi Rex:

Thank you again.  Tried your steps, but still came up with the same error as above - could not find a valid installation source.  So if I uninstall Office, and reinstall, will I lose any existing data or settings??

28 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 05:41
  • Nothing will be lost. You can check the following article:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/30

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

29 Haziran 2012 Cuma 00:47
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Rex Zhang

02 Temmuz 2012 Pazartesi 02:52
  • Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards, 

Rex Zhang

05 Temmuz 2012 Perşembe 00:31
  • Hi Rex:

My apologies for being so long to come back to you on this.  I FINALLY had the time to uninstall and reinstall Office and apply all updates.

But still the same issue.  I tried a mail merge to email for just 97 contacts.  The first pass sent 67, the second pass sent 16, the last pass sent the rest.  As per previous, no error messages - all just looks to complete as per normal.

This is so frustrating - there must be something stopping or blocking the emails - but I have no idea what.  Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Best Regards

Cathy

27 Temmuz 2012 Cuma 03:55
  • Hi Cathy,

In your registry, check the setting under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail and check the setting for the (Default) item. What is in the Data column? It should be "Microsoft Outlook"

Thanks,
    Ross

Ross - Sr. Support Engineer Microsoft Office

30 Temmuz 2012 Pazartesi 16:19
  • Hi Ross:

Thank you - the value is already set to Microsoft Outlook under that key.  Any other thoughts??

Cheers

Cathy

31 Temmuz 2012 Salı 01:02
  • Hi Cathy,

Try starting Windows in a Diagnostic startup and doing the merge. There may be some 3rd party application interfering.

Go to Start | Run | and type MSCONFIG and hit Enter.

Select Diagnostic Startup and click OK. Your computer will then restart in Diagnostic Startup mode.

If it completes successfully in Diagnostic mode, then it is most likely something else interfering and your install is fine. To get back to a normal startup mode, type MSCONFIG again and select Normal Startup and restart your machine.

Thanks,

Ross

06 Ağustos 2012 Pazartesi 17:29
  • Hi Ross:

This was a bit of a nightmare - as it was a public folder, and all my Word documents were also on the Exchange Server.  But through copying and pasting amd restarting switching between startup modes - tried this.

Results were as follows:

1.  Before I tried this, did a successful mail merge to 57 contacts.

2.  Tried to another 80 contacts - only 3 were went - nothing in the Outbox

3. Started in Safe Mode, and all 77 remaining emails went successfully to the Outbox, and were sent when I restarted in Normal Mode.

So it is not even consistent.  But I do believe something is preventing the mail merge from happening in the first place.  They generally don't even go to the Outbox.  I am really desperate to resolve this - we sell a solution to clients throughout Australia which revolves around Outlook - and merging to email based on selective criterie to make those emails relevant.  I really don't know what else to try - and any suggestions will be more than welcome thank you!

09 Ağustos 2012 Perşembe 08:44
  • Hi Cathy,

I may have misread but it sounds like when in a diagnostic start-up, the issue no longer reproduced. If that is the case, you may need to add the services back one at a time until you determine which one is causing the issue to happen. To do it one at a time, run MSCONFIG, and choose Selective startup. Then under the Services tab, enable the items one at a time to narrow it down. You should be able to add all Microsoft Services without a conflict.

Thanks,

Ross

14 Ağustos 2012 Salı 17:40