none
Can I use multiple server on single pwa?

Question

• Hi All,
    I would like to know if it would be good/bad practice to create single PWA sites for more than one database server.
    Shall I connect my reports from two different server to same PWA or would it be best to have a new PWA sites respectively? Please help me to implement the best one!
    Thanks in advance!
    Anuranjan Prasad
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are really two options for what you are asking:

1. You could have more than one SQL Server clustered into a single logical SQL Server and install SharePoint and Project Server against it. This has the advantage that if one SQL box fails, you can switch to the other for resiliancy.

2. Inside the PWA instance itself, your only option for splitting the databases is to put the Project Server Published, Draft and Archive databases on one server, and the Project Server REporting database on another. This is typically done for performance reasons if you have heavy SQL reporting. What are the number of users you are expecting to be using reporting?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:50 AM
  • I second alex. Keep the reporting alone in second SQL Server incase of high utilization in Reporting.

The following article will give more ideas. Keep in consideration of all the recommendations, otherwise you will end up in performance issues.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff872145.aspx

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are really two options for what you are asking:

1. You could have more than one SQL Server clustered into a single logical SQL Server and install SharePoint and Project Server against it. This has the advantage that if one SQL box fails, you can switch to the other for resiliancy.

2. Inside the PWA instance itself, your only option for splitting the databases is to put the Project Server Published, Draft and Archive databases on one server, and the Project Server REporting database on another. This is typically done for performance reasons if you have heavy SQL reporting. What are the number of users you are expecting to be using reporting?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:50 AM
  • I second alex. Keep the reporting alone in second SQL Server incase of high utilization in Reporting.

The following article will give more ideas. Keep in consideration of all the recommendations, otherwise you will end up in performance issues.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff872145.aspx

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Thanks Alexander and Sriram :)

Thanks 

Anuranjan Prasad

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:47 PM