none
Project 2010 Professional continually crashes

Question

• Project Professional no longer opens after working successsfully for 10 months.  When attempting to launch Project the following dialog box shows up:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The following error shows up in the log:

The error in the windows log is:
    Faulting application name: WINPROJ.EXE, version: 14.0.4751.1000, time stamp: 0x4b8e2648
    Faulting module name: WINPROJ.EXE, version: 14.0.4751.1000, time stamp: 0x4b8e2648
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x002bf783
    Faulting process id: 0x840
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd176177a63979
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE
    Report Id: b7185ef7-8354-11e1-aec1-70f1a19a946d

I have tried uninstaling and resinstalling Project and Office Pro Plus to no avail.  I have run SPC with no problems found.  I have run chkdsk /f with no errors found.  I have applied hotfix 2413663 with a little luck.

After applying the hotfix I as able to open Project in Vista SP2 compatability mode finally to install the license key.  But upon restarting, It would encounter a problem and close.  I had to uncheck Compatabillty mode to open again.  I was able to open a fil, and print but it crashed again when trying to save a file.

I am not sure what to do next.  The computer is running Windows 7x64 and Office Pro Plus (32 bit) and Project Pro 2010

HELP!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:52 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your reponse however you were not entirely correct.

The solution to the continual crashing was neither hardware nor OS related.

After manually deleting the MS Project cache (which no one no has suggested), I was able to open, save, publish, print without crashing.  I guess I should have tried that first.

Harry Akaki

• Marked as answer by HarryA Friday, April 13, 2012 1:52 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• HarryA,

Something changed with hardware and/or software on your machine. It surely has nothing to do with Project.  In my experience with these sorts of issues I run GRC's SpinRite program to try to fix any flaws on the hard disk.  There surely will be flaws.  If that does not work, then I would simply reinstall the OS and all the apps. Takes a lot less time than trying to figure it out and is likely to work (unless the hardware flaw is "permanent").

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Hello HarryA,

IMHO -- If you make a search on the internet or on this forum with "Faulting module name: WINPROJ.EXE", you may see posts related to application crash with all different reasons. The problem is probably specific to the h/w and s/w combinations of the particular system. I would just reinstall the packages and always have an image or backup of the system when it is in good shape; and of course, install latest service packs and cumulative updates for Project 2010 / 32-bit. In a nutshell, I agree with Rob.

Regards.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:38 AM

After manually deleting the MS Project cache (which no one no has suggested), I was able to open, save, publish, print without crashing.  I guess I should have tried that first.

Harry Akaki

• Marked as answer by HarryA Friday, April 13, 2012 1:52 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 1:52 PM

Harry Akaki

Friday, April 13, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Harry,

I am glad you've figured it out. Thank you for feedback.

Regards.

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:05 PM