none
Trying to create a Project Manager (Consultant) Security Group

Question

• Hello I am using Project Server 2010 and am trying to create a Project Manager(Consultant) security group so that the PM Consultant can only view the project they own in project center and not the entire portfolio of projects.

Currently, our environment has a Project Manager security group in which users can view the entire portfolio in project center and I have replicated that template over into the new Consultant security group but have removed the "My Organization" category. This has limited the view of the PM Consultant to only their project (which I wanted) but it has also removed the "Timesheet" and "Reports and DashboardS" on the homepage. What settings do I have to add to get these added back?

My goal of creating this Consultant security group is to have every capability of the Project Manager group I have in place, but just limit the view to only the PM consultant's project.

Please let me know if I need to provide more details about the settings of the security group.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Phillip

Security is a wider discussion & needs lots of understanding & planning to get the best out of it, so what i understood from your question is, you need a separate Project Manager(Consultant) group which should see only their own projects along with my task / timesheet / reports & dashboards should be enabled, correct me if i am wrong

Assuming you have not modified the default security groups, categories & permission templates, if that has been modified you may not get the desired results, i am listing out steps here, some of which you might have already performed

>> Create a security Group Project Manager (Consultant)

>> Add users to theis group

>> Assign this group Categories - My Projects - My tasks - My Resources 

>> Select the My Project Category - Apply Project manager permission template for both Global Permission &
          Category

>> Scroll down to Global Permission - Under view - Allow View Business Intelligence Link (Assuming Reports  
          &   Dashboard)

Save, this group & verify

Let us know if this helps 

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:18 AM

All replies

• Hello Phillip,

I think you should try the RBS feature to filter data using security rules, that sould help you organize and display in specific ways.

So you can categorize a collection of specific projects with a RBS, (add a value on Lookup table  (as a example you can create PM consultant) than put this value on project RBS fields and specific resources RBS field. This will avoid you creating new categories or groups.

Let us know if was helpfull

Best Regards

Guilherme Fabri

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hi Phillip

Security is a wider discussion & needs lots of understanding & planning to get the best out of it, so what i understood from your question is, you need a separate Project Manager(Consultant) group which should see only their own projects along with my task / timesheet / reports & dashboards should be enabled, correct me if i am wrong

Assuming you have not modified the default security groups, categories & permission templates, if that has been modified you may not get the desired results, i am listing out steps here, some of which you might have already performed

>> Create a security Group Project Manager (Consultant)

>> Add users to theis group

>> Assign this group Categories - My Projects - My tasks - My Resources 

>> Select the My Project Category - Apply Project manager permission template for both Global Permission &
          Category

>> Scroll down to Global Permission - Under view - Allow View Business Intelligence Link (Assuming Reports  
          &   Dashboard)

Save, this group & verify

Let us know if this helps 

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I disagree Guiherme. I dont think that this is a good case for the use of the RBS. Phillip needs this new group to see only projects that the user owns. Any use of the RBS would lead to the possibility of these users seeing othe projects.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Agree with Brian,

RBS has other wider implications & needs a very very careful review before you use, i believe creating a separate Group & assigning correct category & template + permission should resolve this much easily without impacting any other

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Thank you all for your input.

Sunil your directions on the settings appear to have limited the view I was aiming for the project manager (consultants) security group.

Thank you

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:13 PM