none
Error excuting $Web.Update()

Question

• Hi,

I use Project Server 2010 and in order to make all the tests I created a test environment (different servers and so on...)

I have an issue with the test environment: when I try to transfer the information from the production environment to the thest environment I use the following method:

1. I delete the Service in Central Administration->Application Management->Service Appliction->Dev Service Appllication->Deletehttp://MyPS2010/PWA

2. Central Administration->Manage Content Database->WSS_Content-> Offline and Remove Content Database

3. Restore the 5 databases: Archive, Draft, Published, Reporting and WSS_Content.

4. Central Administration->Manage Content Database->Add Content Database-> The one I've just restored

5. Central Administration->Manage Service Application->Dev Project Service Application->Create Projoect Web App Site ->http://MyPS2010/PWA

6. I run in powershell the commands:

$Web=get-SPWeb http://MyPS2010/PWA

$Web.AllProperties | Format-Table

$Web.AllProperties["PWAURL"]=http://MyPS2010/PWA

$Web.AllProperties["reportingservername"]="MySQLSRV"

$Web.Update()

And the problem is running the last command, sometimes works and most of the times doesn't work, the error I get running $Web.Update() is:

Exception calling "Update" with "0" argument(s): " Access is denied. (Exception
    from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))"
    At line:1 char:12
    + $Web.Update <<<< ()
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

And I keep trying and trying until it works. When it works I have to execute some tasks more (Change PDP's, Deactivate OLAP Management, Change Server in Quick Launch and Bulk Update Project Sites)

Can someone help me to know why I get this error in $Web.Update()?

By the way, if you think that I forgot something in this method, please, tell me and I will change it.

Thank you and regards,

José Espases

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:00 PM

Answers

• Just for your information:

The way I have found to solve this problem is to restart the servers, I know is an extreme solution but, as the servers are test servers then I'm not disturbing at all as the servers are used only by me.

Regards,

José Espases

• Marked as answer by José Espases Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM

All replies

• Basically you should follow the five database attache procedure to transfer data from one environment to another. Does it work when you provision a PWA instance using the Central Admin UI?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

yes, it works fine.

I have everything duplicated, meaning that I have two virtual servers (app and sql)  other than the two servers used for production, in fact is a second installation totally separated, that's why I restore the 5 databases in the other virtual server, I don't use the sql command Attach or Dettach, I just backup the db's in the sql production server and then I restore them in the test server, I've done it several times and there is no problem, I just get a perfect duplication of data (that's what I need to make tests). Then I have to touch some details (the ones I described above) and then it works as I want.

The only problem is the one I'm asking about.

If you can help me I will appreciate.

Thank you and regards,

José Espases

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Just for your information:

The way I have found to solve this problem is to restart the servers, I know is an extreme solution but, as the servers are test servers then I'm not disturbing at all as the servers are used only by me.

Regards,

José Espases

• Marked as answer by José Espases Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM