none
Calendar management : recurrent leave

Question

• Hi !

I'm new to Project 2010.

I need to create a calendar for a ressources (site project leaders), who are working 8 weeks in a row then are 2 weeks off. They also need to have an overlap of 1 week.

I need to have it managed by Project, to forecast ressources leaves, in order to always have one project leader on site.

I've already searched the FAQ. Has anybody any idea?

Thanks,

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:33 PM

Answers

• Mykegyver,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Project.

Yes, you can do what you need but it will take a little bit of time to set up the necessary calendars. Let's say you have two project leaders, Bob and Bill). First add those to your Resource Sheet. You don't say whether you are working a normal 5 day week or a 6 or 7 day week. If your schedule is for other than a normal 5 day workweek, you should customize the project calendar to make the normal non-working days as working days. I'll assume you've done that or at least know how to do it.

With regard to setting up your resources.

1. On the Resource Sheet, select the first project leader and from the Resource tab on the ribbon hit the Information icon in the properties group

2. In the Resource information window hit the Change Working TIme button

3. In the exceptions list enter something to identify the first week off for that leader (e.g. first week off)

4. In the Start and Finish fields enter the dates to span the first week off for that leader

5. Hit the Details tab

6. Set the recurrence pattern to "weekly" and check as many days of the week as that leader will have off

7. Since he works 8 weeks and has the 9th (and 10th) week off, set the recurrence pattern for every 10 weeks

8. Set the range of recurrence to span however long the on-off cycle lasts (e.g. the length of the project)

9. Hit "OK"

10. Repeat steps 3 through 9 for the second off week

Do the same thing for the second resource except shift the off time such that you have the desired overlap.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Mykegyver Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:36 PM

All replies

• Mykegyver,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Project.

Yes, you can do what you need but it will take a little bit of time to set up the necessary calendars. Let's say you have two project leaders, Bob and Bill). First add those to your Resource Sheet. You don't say whether you are working a normal 5 day week or a 6 or 7 day week. If your schedule is for other than a normal 5 day workweek, you should customize the project calendar to make the normal non-working days as working days. I'll assume you've done that or at least know how to do it.

With regard to setting up your resources.

1. On the Resource Sheet, select the first project leader and from the Resource tab on the ribbon hit the Information icon in the properties group

2. In the Resource information window hit the Change Working TIme button

3. In the exceptions list enter something to identify the first week off for that leader (e.g. first week off)

4. In the Start and Finish fields enter the dates to span the first week off for that leader

5. Hit the Details tab

6. Set the recurrence pattern to "weekly" and check as many days of the week as that leader will have off

7. Since he works 8 weeks and has the 9th (and 10th) week off, set the recurrence pattern for every 10 weeks

8. Set the range of recurrence to span however long the on-off cycle lasts (e.g. the length of the project)

9. Hit "OK"

10. Repeat steps 3 through 9 for the second off week

Do the same thing for the second resource except shift the off time such that you have the desired overlap.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Mykegyver Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Thank you John. I'll try your solution.

My mistake came probably from the fact that I tried to develop a standard calendar with weeks 9 & 10 off, but I faced an error message when I tried to set the second week.

I'll let you know the issue.

Thanks again for your quick assistance !

Myke

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Myke,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hello John,

Sorry for my late feedback. I'm coming with bad news : solution didn't worked...

I had the same solution until point 9. and it works fine. Problem is coming from point 10., when I hit the recurrence option and choose a recurring day that is listed in the first exception. Project says that that exception is already covered by the first one and he refuses to consider the second week off.

Basically, if my rotation were 4/1, it would work perfectly. Unfortunately, rotation will be 8/2, 9/3, 12/4, ...

I'm using 7 days workweek, customized in standard calendar.

Have you any idea that might help me?

Thanks in advance,

Myke.

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Myke,

Okay, give me a little time to work out the issues. I confess, I didn't run the full pattern when I set it up.

Update: Curses! Foiled again. Unfortunately I didn't carry my scheme far enough and indeed Project doesn't make this easy. I found two solutions, you can pick the one that works best for you.

First solution: Slug through the exceptions by creating a two week off time for each lead. By doing that Project doesn't allow a recurring pattern of that period (at least I can't find a way). Create additional exceptions every eight weeks. You will be limited to 15 exceptions for each resource

Second method: Let's say the two leads are Bill and Bob Create a Bill-A and Bill-B. Set up Bill-A's exceptions to be for one week in a recurring pattern of 10 weeks per the steps in my first post. Then set up Bill-B's exceptions to be offset one week in the same recurring pattern. If you look at the calendars for both parts of the Bill resource, they will give the two week off period with an 8 week work period between them. Assign both Bill-A and Bill-B at 50% to each task. The main problem with this approach is that you will have to manually adjust the work in the Resource Usage view to make it all work out and honestly, that probably isn't worth the effort.

Sorry there's not an easier way. If someone else is following this thread has a better approach, bring it on.

John

Friday, February 01, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Thank you for your assistance John.

I was wondering if any VB code might help. Would anybody have any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Myke,

Yes, VBA could be used to automate setting up the custom calendar, but it might actually take longer to write the macro than to set it up manually. However, if you need to do this periodically or for more than just the two leads, VBA would be helpful and thats what I would probably do.

John

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Solution is available in Forum Project Customization and Programming > Customizing recurrent leaves in Project Calendar with VBA

Rgds,

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:18 PM