none
Cash flow report monthly? 2013

Question

• How can i report the tasks' cash flow monthly or daily? I use MsP 2013 professional

Thanks very much.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:05 AM

Answers

• selcukz --

Allow me to officially give you the bad news that it is NOT possible to create a cash flow report in Project 2013 that looks like the Cash Flow report in all previous versions of the software.  The problem with the new Reports feature is that it will not allow you to display a chart with tasks on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis.

What you will need to do instead is to create a new Visual Report for Excel.  Before you go to all the bother of trying to create a completely new Visual Report, I was able to modify the existing Cash Flow Report in only a few steps to accomplish what you want to see.  Here is what I did and you can try it:

1.  Open a project and then click the Report tab to display the Report ribbon.
    2.  In the Export section of the Report ribbon, click the Visual Reports button.
    3.  In the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog, click the Select Level of Usage Data pick list at the bottom of the dialog and select either Days or Months.  I selected Months.
    4.  Select the Cash Flow Report for Excel and click the View button.
    5.  In the resulting Excel workbook, click the Task Usage tab to display the Task Usage worksheet.
    6.  In the PivotTable Field List sidepane, deselect the Cumulative Cost field.
    7.  In the PivotTable Field List sidepane, select the Tasks dimension and the Monthly Calendar dimension.

You should see the Monthly Calendar dimension in the Column Labels section of the sidepane, the Tasks dimension in the Row Labels section of the sidepane, and the Cost dimension in the Values section of the sidepane.  If you do not seem them in the correct sections, move them around until they match my description.

8.  In the Task section of the PivotTable, completely expand all of the summary tasks so that you can see all of the detail tasks in the project.
    9.  In the Year section of the PivotTable, expand the Year dimension until you see months across the top of the PivotTable.
    10.  Click the Design tab to display the Design ribbon with the PivotTable Tools applied.
    11.  In the Layout section of the Design ribbon, click the Report Layout pick list button and select the Show in Compact Form item.
    12.  Select all of the numbers in the PivotTable and apply currency formatting as desired.

After modifying the default Cash Flow Report for Excel, if this is what you want to see, then you will need to completely create from scratch as a new Visual Report for Excel.  In Project 2013, I believe this is the best way to recreate the old Cash Flow report we used to see in Project 2010 and earlier versions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:26 PM

All replies

• I need monthly Cashflow reports any expert can help me please?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Try one of the existing report "Task Usage" in Project.

Select Project >> Reports >> Select Work Load

Select Task Usage >> edit >> change week to month or day >> Ok >> select

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:16 AM
  • But i didn't assign work resources.I assigned cost resources.How can i report the monthly cash flow?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Also, see Menu: Project, Reports ... Visual Reports to produce a cash flow table and graph with Excel.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Try Project >> Report >> Cost >> Cash flow report

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:35 AM
  • I want table cash flow reports monthly.I cannot do monthly reports.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:47 AM
  • How can you do tasks' monthly cash flow reports?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Perhaps this point you should seek out a good book on Microsoft Project, or take a course (2-day minimum).  That would solidify these concepts for you.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Let me clarify your requirement. You want to see cost associated to each task on month on month ...correct?

Select Project >> Reports >> Cost >> Select Cash Flow and click on edit >> select Month instead of weeks 

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Thank you for helping me.But you are talking about 2010 but i use 2013 :) I cannot do in 2013
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:59 AM
  • I don't have or use 2013 version, so can't help.  But to help others help you, say more about how you tried, what happened when you tried, any error messages, what was wrong with what you did, your expectations, etc.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:01 AM
  • Nobody knows ms project 2013 in my country so i cannot get any help
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:01 AM
  • There is a way to get each tasks' monthly cash flow report.But i cannot find.help please
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:04 AM
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=microsoft%20project in particular: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0986733903/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:04 AM
  • I just ask How to see cash flow reports for monthly,nobody help me. Aren't there any solve for this problem?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:51 AM
  • I am not sure how to get that work in 2013 using reports

Try below steps in 2013 and  check in that helps?

1.        Select View >> Task Usage
    2.        Right click on Time phased grid (right side of the screen) >> select Cost
    3.        Right click on Time phased grid (right side of the screen) >> uncheck Work
    4.        To display monthly information you need to change the timescale. Right click on the timescale >> Select Timescale >> select “year” for middle tier and “month” for bottom tier.

Thanks,

Kiran K

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:54 AM
  • selcukz --

Allow me to officially give you the bad news that it is NOT possible to create a cash flow report in Project 2013 that looks like the Cash Flow report in all previous versions of the software.  The problem with the new Reports feature is that it will not allow you to display a chart with tasks on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis.

What you will need to do instead is to create a new Visual Report for Excel.  Before you go to all the bother of trying to create a completely new Visual Report, I was able to modify the existing Cash Flow Report in only a few steps to accomplish what you want to see.  Here is what I did and you can try it:

1.  Open a project and then click the Report tab to display the Report ribbon.
    2.  In the Export section of the Report ribbon, click the Visual Reports button.
    3.  In the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog, click the Select Level of Usage Data pick list at the bottom of the dialog and select either Days or Months.  I selected Months.
    4.  Select the Cash Flow Report for Excel and click the View button.
    5.  In the resulting Excel workbook, click the Task Usage tab to display the Task Usage worksheet.
    6.  In the PivotTable Field List sidepane, deselect the Cumulative Cost field.
    7.  In the PivotTable Field List sidepane, select the Tasks dimension and the Monthly Calendar dimension.

You should see the Monthly Calendar dimension in the Column Labels section of the sidepane, the Tasks dimension in the Row Labels section of the sidepane, and the Cost dimension in the Values section of the sidepane.  If you do not seem them in the correct sections, move them around until they match my description.

8.  In the Task section of the PivotTable, completely expand all of the summary tasks so that you can see all of the detail tasks in the project.
    9.  In the Year section of the PivotTable, expand the Year dimension until you see months across the top of the PivotTable.
    10.  Click the Design tab to display the Design ribbon with the PivotTable Tools applied.
    11.  In the Layout section of the Design ribbon, click the Report Layout pick list button and select the Show in Compact Form item.
    12.  Select all of the numbers in the PivotTable and apply currency formatting as desired.

After modifying the default Cash Flow Report for Excel, if this is what you want to see, then you will need to completely create from scratch as a new Visual Report for Excel.  In Project 2013, I believe this is the best way to recreate the old Cash Flow report we used to see in Project 2010 and earlier versions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Thank you very very much.I did the instructions and i have a good cash flow report now. 
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:34 PM
  • selcukz --

It was actually a pleasure helping you, my friend, as I gained some valuable knowledge during the process of documenting the steps for you in my post.  So, you are MORE than welcome for the help!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:51 PM
  • This was awesome...I was able to follow it step by step and provide the report needed for my project class...thank you so much!
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:53 AM