none
Send Timesheet Error - An error occurred while communicating with the server. Check connectivity with your administrator to determine whether further action is necessary

Question

• Hi

I have three users so far who are getting an error pop up when they press Send Timesheet.

We are using PS2010 with SEM.

The error is:

"An error occurred while communicating with the server. Check connectivity with your administrator to determine whether further action is necessary".

There is nothing in the queue or the ULS log.

These users have all been able to do timesheets in the past.

It doesn't make any difference on another PC.

There are similar questions on this forum but none have solved this issue. I think it is a very generic error.

I am in the process of sending this to Microsoft as a premier support incident, but our process to do that takes time and I want to see if it can be solved without doing that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Ryan,

Check performance of your SQL server and Application Server.

Also check jobs in the queue. If any relevant jobs are "getting enqueued" try to cancel and restart project application service

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Hi Hrishi

There is nothing in the queue or the ULS log.

We have run sp_updatestats which is usually helpful.

What would we check to check performance? I would need to explain this to the IT people.

Thanks

Ryan

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:29 AM
  • CPU usage, SQL server logs, Disk I/O etc

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:04 AM
  •  

Ryan,

Verify current setting for SET AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS_ASYNC on all 4 projects databases in SQL server

Recommended value is ON

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662107.aspx

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:42 PM
  • There is bad data in the timesheet.  My first guess is that time is being enter for a closed week or before or after one task Start or Finish date.

To resolve this, try removing all time entry except for one row and submit. If this works, add time for other task until you get the error again.  Once you identify the task line causing the issue, examine the Start and Finish dates and compare to time/dates being entered.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:42 AM
  • How do I remove time? By removing the assignments and re-publishing the project? That will wipe out actuals which we can't do.

I have deleted the timesheets and re-created them it doesn't make any difference.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:12 AM
  • "The user needs to submit their time on a valid task that is still within the current reporting timeframe, or have the Project Manager update the task in questions so that the finish/end dates are at or beyond the submission period and then republish the project"

Saw this one on an article.

http://patrickdrews.com/2012/09/project-server-2010-timesheet-submission-produces-an-error-occurred-while-communicating-with-the-server/

Cheers

A Java Programmer

Friday, December 07, 2012 6:22 AM