none
Indicators on PWA not displaying (Project Server 2010 - Dec CU)

Question

• Hi

We have an issue which occurs at 2 different implementations of Project Server 2010 with Dec CU. On PWA in Project Center not all the indicators for custom fields are displayed. When you open the project in MSP the value is calculated correct and the indicator is displayed correct, but in PWA that cell is blank. More strange is that it's not the case on all projects. For example, we have 4 indicator fields, for some projects some of these indicators are shown in Project Center while for others they don't. So its not the same indicator which is blank on all projects, it differs for the different projects. Publsihing the projects from MSP does not resolve this issue (and no errors occur on the Publish). When I however open the project from PWA Project Center it states that the project is out of Sync (after publishing from MSP) - I then sync the project and publish it again which ensures that the indicators do show on PWA Project Center. Does anyone have a resolution for this problem? (with many projects this workaround is not viable).

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Since you have large no of project, you might want to try publishing all the Project using automated PSI Code, Just in case that helps

Have a look at this code, in case you want to try

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Thanks Sunil, I think its more important to find the cause of the issue and fix that though. I also logged this with MS, just wanted to see whether anyone else have encountered this before.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Coenraad:

I suspect that you are using a function in your formulas that PWA does not support. For instance, ProjDateVal will cause the fileds to not calculate correctly in PWA. If you post your formula, we can tell you what the problem child is.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Thanks Gary

I guess that might be possible, but if its not supported in PWA, wouldn't I have an issue for a specific indicator for all projects? In my case I will have an indicator which displays for approx 90% of the projects, and if I publish from PWA it actually shows up again?

I saw a similar post from someone who found the issue with the Beta or RTM version - not sure whether they tested this in the final release though...

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Actually, the problem manifests when you Edit and Publish the project in PWA. So if you calc the fields in Project and Publish, they'll appear fine until someone edits the project in PWA and it gets it knickers in a twist. Does that sound like a possible scenario in your case?

One of Microsoft's goals for the next release is to make the scheduling engine in PWA par with Project.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:24 PM
  • No not really - 99% of our updates are done in MSP, and even if I republish a project numerous times from MSP (without any failures), the indicator in PWA doesn't show, and then for the same project, when I publish from PWA, it suddenly shows up...

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Coenraad:

These are the exact symptoms we've seen. Care to post the formula?

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Currently busy with a reporting DB refresh. Will post tomorrow.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I think that there is an underlying issue with Grapical indicators and PWA for existing projects.  I have recently spent a large amount of time coding and debugging some formulas, in order to try and get the graphical indicators to work on existing projects, eg publish a project, edit the formula, re-open project pro, re-open the project, publish etc, and inconsistent results displayed using the graphical indicatiors on an existing project.  For all new projects the graphical indicators worked fine (much to my frustration).  My sure fire way of writing formulas now is to leave out the Graphical indicators until I'm sure the formula is working the way I want, then implement the indicators, and then import all my projects.  Easier when doing implementations as I do, not so easy during Phase 2 of a project with exisiting projects in place.

Just my 2p..., and sorry I don't have any good answers (and yes, 2010 Dec CU).

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Thanks Ben

Although not a solution it really is helpful feedback. I am logging this MS as well as the indicators is something which is expected to work properly, especially for organisations upgrading from 2007 and thus used to indicators working in 2007.

Will post back if I get anything worthwhile back from Microsoft.

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:27 AM
  • Coenraad:

I am in Redmond all day, I will raise this issue with the team. February CU is now available so that might help. For now I'm closing the thread, but I'll post back if I learn anything.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Gary

Much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hi Coenraad,

I am not sure, but your behavior similar to our. 

We migrate from Project server 2007 to 2010 version by fully database attach. So now still have enabled Backwards Compatibility Mode. And Project Managers can connect to Project Server from both version of clients of Project Pro - 2007 and 2010. 

We have enterprise custom fields with formula and grafical indicators. And we noticed that some tasks of some our enterprise projects after baseline procedure with them are executed and they republished from Project Pro 2010, does not contain grafical indicators on enterprise custom field.

First i think that may cause becouse we use wrong formula. And i post this topic for resolved my alleged issue.  I founded that this issue was resolved and missing indicators will appear when the project republished from Project Pro 2007. 

I think that this finaly resolve this issue. But today we founded when project are baselined from Project Pro 2010 and republished, grafical indicators will be missed again. And we must again republish this projects from Project Pro 2007.

So may be this is your scenario? Could you trying to repuublish from 2007 version of Project Pro?  

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi Alexey

Unfortunately I dont have an environment where we have backwards compatability activated, so I cannot test this by publishing the project using MSP 2007.

Hopefully Gary got some good feedback when he discussed this with the project team.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Gary

Hope you are doing well..

Do you perhaps have any further feedback on this after your discussions with the project team?

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Sorry, nothing specific. Still waiting to hear what happens with your case.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Nothing yet, I sent another message to ask for further guidance. Will post back with further feedback when I get it.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hello everyone,

We have been experiencing the same issues with indicators not updated in PWA. Ok, we can accept that for existing projects there can be issues with indicators even after projects' republication, but there are still issues with new projects. You add some new corporate fields-indicators, then you create a new project with these fields in Project Pro, save and publish the project to PWA. Then you come to PWA day by day and see that nothing changes - indicators are still green which is false, - you open the project in Project Pro and see that they are red which is true! Then you republish the project to PWA again and if you get lucky some indicators become red.

We do know about differences in formulas' evaluation in PWA and Project Pro, it's considered and can't be the reason.

This behaviour doesn't make any sense. Indicators are absolutely useless in PWA. Is it possible to make the PWA calc indicators every time you  open a PWA page in a same way as Project Pro does when you open a project?

Regards

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hi PsEd

Unfortunately I am lost on this issue as we have tried quite a numbver of things to make PWA indicators usefull in 2010 but are yet to find some kind of resolution/workaround. From the feedback I got thus far it does not seem as if Microsoft knows much about this either...I guess someone will need to open a premier support call for this, but I'm not sure Microsoft will see this as a bug, most likely a 'design' change.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi, Coenraad,

Thank you for the feedback. I hope it will be fixed someday.

Regards.

Monday, May 02, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Actuallly I have had the exact same problem. We are running 2010 with the latest updates and we still get this issue.  It's becoming a problem for our customers that need to see indicators displaying properly and some are losing faith. We KNOW the formulas work because they are calculating the values which are visible in Project Information in the Project plan, but when publishing, the results are intermittent and the inidcators do not always work as intended.  Annoyingly if you take the indicators out, and just show text - the values show up !    But putting the indicators back in means a blank field is displayed. So somehwere along the way we know the data fields are populating correctly, but the use of indicators may result in indicators not showing up properly.

This needs an urgent fix. And I would be grateful if anyone can advise the fix ASAP. And since we know it's NOT the formula (becuase the text values show up OK) there must be another issue.

Any advice appreciated folks !

Many Thanks

Kelvin

Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hi Coenraad,

I am seeing a very similar problem with PWA displaying indicators in the project details area. All three indicators are present and correct in MSP but only two indicators show in PWA. Did you find a solution to this?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I see you offered to take a look at the Coenraads formula and point out if there were any functions used which are not supported in PWA. Can you let me know if ProjDateDiff is supported?

Regards,

Bill

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi Bill

No Solution yet - Brian Smith also mailed me about this, so hopefully MS is looking into this.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:51 AM
  • We have the exact same problem with one of our customers. We are running Project Server 2010 and we're having the issue too.

Graphical Indicators work for some projects, but for others they simply don't show.  As someone posted before, they need to see indicators displaying properly. Please Microsoft, fix this issue as soon as possible. 

Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Same issues here. As an example, here's couple of formulas that feed graph.indicators:

[Baseline Estimated Start]<[Scheduled Start]+5

Fix([Start Variance]/480)

As you can see, nothing fancy. Hello, Microsoft?

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi. Has someone tested the workaround that the author of the thread wrote???, I can't make tests right now, but I really want to know if this is working for some of you? Thanks in advance:

"When I however open the project from PWA Project Center it states that the project is out of Sync (after publishing from MSP) - I then sync the project and publish it again which ensures that the indicators do show on PWA Project Center. Does anyone have a resolution for this problem? (with many projects this workaround is not viable)."

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hi all!

Has anyone tried to do a "bulk" publish with the ProjTool?

We are experiencing the same issue as you describe, and will try that in a couple of days. It is strange that web-publish shows the indicators and proj-pro bublish doesn't.

If the ProjTool doesn't fix it we will open another premier support case

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue with graphical indicators not displaying in PWA. I'm using Project Server 2010.

The behaviour is erratic. I've tried opening the project in MS, then F9 and publish. But no luck.

I tried deleting one of the CF then recreated it, with same formula and indicator rules, and it worked fine.

Then tried with another one, but it didn't work.

If I switch to text or numeric data instead of the graphical indicator, it shows the expected values. But the problem is with indicators. Some of them don't display never.

Interesting is that in MSP if add the columns, I can see all the indicators in the right way.

Does anybody have any update about this? I haven't found any workaround that works consistently.

I'll appreciate any clue.

Thanks,

-JOSE H.-

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:16 AM
  • I've been digging on this myself as I am discussing an indicator requirement with a customer

I've just run the following repros today to see what we can actually get from this functionality:

Setup:

- created a EPCF with the following formula

Switch(Not ([Baseline Estimated Finish] >= #1/1/1984# And [Baseline Estimated Finish] < #1/1/2050#), "No baseline", [Finish Variance] = 0, "On Track", [Finish Variance] < 0, "Early", [Finish Variance] > 0 And [Finish Variance] <= (480 * 5), "one week slip", [Finish Variance] > (480 * 5), "two week+ slip")

- Added indicators for each result outcome (Circles)

- Created some projects in ProjPro and published

- Checked that GI's are displaying correctly - grand :)

Test 1 - editing + Publishing project plan in Web app

- OPen plan for editing in Web App

- Edit one task to force the indicator to switch from result a to result b

Result: confirmed indicators do not update

Test 2 - do plans with existing indicators get updated when the ECF indicator outputs are changed?

- changed GIs from circles to diamonds

- opened plans in ProjPro, F9'd and published

- Checked Project Centre

- INdicators not changed

Result = Fail

Test 3 - do the indicators get updated when the formula result is forced to change (thus completely refreshing the indicator)

- Edited schedule in Proj Pro to mvoe from Early to +2weeks late and publshed

- Checked in project centre:  INdicator updated to show RED diamond

Result:  Success

Test 4 = if I reset the formula result for the project, is the now correct indicator displayed?

- Edited schedule in Proj Pro to mvoe from LAte back to Early and published

- Checked in project centre: INdicator updated to show new diamond EARLY diamond correctly

Test 5 = if i just make an edit to a formula AND change the GI output, is the correct GI displayed

- Edited EPCF formula (changed "early" to "earlyish" (ahem)

- Editing GI for Early to a lightbulb

- opened Proj Pro, opened plan and published

- Checked in project centre: INdicator updated to show new diamond EARLY diamond correctly

Conclusions:

So what I can assume so far from this (admittedly quick) test is that:

Editing in PWA

- has no effect on GI's which I can assume is becuase of the lack of complex scheduling engine in the web app to run the calculations

Changing Graphical Indicator policies on custom fields

- new GI's will not be reflected in PWA until the result of the formula is forced to switch from Result A to Result B, thus refreshing the GI output

Changing the text of a Formula AND the assoc Graphical Indicator

- should update correctly if plan updated via ProjPro <<< This would seem contentious given the above thread!  I have however retested this on three rigs with different formulas and indicators and not yet got a scenario where this doesnt work.

Environment details:

- Clean PS2010 install and test data

- SP1 only

Note:  after every test, MS Project was closed prior to running the next test

Monday, August 01, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi, I have the same problem, Does anybody have any answer or work around about this?. My environment is PS2010 with SP1. Thank for your help
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:47 PM
  • We have opened Premier Case with this problem and we got information that this issue will be resolved only with December 2011 CU.
    Alexey
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Thanks, I hope there fix work fine and resolve the problem
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I sure hope this gets fixed very soon. MS said this issue would be fixed in the 2010 CU update and it wasn't.  This issue is now well over a year old and definitely causing a problem for many customers. 
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Hi Gary,

As moderator on this thread we are seeing more and more customers complaining about this issue - I am sure you are too. It occurs with even just lookup tables being applied to a custom field.   Do Microsoft really understand the urgency of this issue ?  That they are losing customers to competitive products because of this single issue ??

Can we please push Microsoft to provide a fix earlier than December ?

Thanks

Kelvin

Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:50 PM
  • That they are losing customers to competitive products because of this single issue ??

Kelvin,

Re competitive products, do you have any recommendations? Being busy with PS2010 all this time, I haven't checked the market... and now really wonder about alternatives to this product.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi,  I do not have recommendations per se, beacuse we fully support the Microsoft technologies and are more interested in migrating customers from other products to Microsoft.  There are so many other great features of the Microsoft solution that its a long list, but sometimes these niggling issues do cause problems and we know for certain of 4 customer that have adopted an alternative because of issues with KPI's.  My fervent hope is that the problem gets fixed but its a tough one because its intermittent and sometimes difficult to replicate the steps - sometimes the steps to replicate work sometimes the problem does not manifest itself.  I am beggining to think that ist some weird combination of OS service pack/update, IE update, and PS usdate, but the permuations are immense !!

Ironically one of the solutions one of our customer switched to was a pure Sharepoint solution using the BI capabilities in Sharepoint to create the KPI reporting they needed. I understand they will revisit Project Server if and when the issue is finally fixed !   In the meantime it makes it hard to influence sale of Project licences whilst this problem is known. I know of several other partners in different parts of the world that have the same issue!

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Hi all

I have a work-around.  This works for one of our client's we have upgraded from PS 2007 to PS 2010, SP1, June CU.

I don't claim this will work for everyone, nor agree it is a viable solution for many projects, but it worked and something was better than nothing...

Problem: 2 project level calculated custom field GI's suddenly dissapeared for 1 project in the project centre, not all, just 1.

Workaround steps:

1. Open the project for editing in PWA

2. Changed the view

3. On the Task tab click Calculate

GIs reappeared in the project centre

4. On the Project tab click Close

Good luck

Melanie

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 12:54 AM
  • I don't have SP1 and the only way we solved this issue was this:

1. Edit the project in PWA
    2. Go to Project Information PDP
    3. Hit Save then Close and Checkin
    4. Open the Project in Project Professional
    5. Publish and then Checkin

Had to do it for all projects...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

can anyone confirm that with December CU the issue is resolved?

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:30 AM
  • We have installed December CU but still have this issue. And we continue investigating with MS support.

Alexey

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:35 AM
  • We are currently experiencing the same issue (Running Project Server 2010 with the DEC 2011 CU).  Not sure what caused it to get out of sync, it just went crazy yesterday with on project.  We will be opening a MS case as well.

Lewis_Carroll "His answer trickled through my head like water through a sieve."

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:29 PM
  • For those of you still monitoring this thread.  The 'fix' that will stop this from happening is supposedly in the Februrary 2012 CU.  The following SQL script was supplied by MS support to 'fix' the duplicate issue when it occurs (remember backups are your friend):

-- This script will identify and remove duplicate Proj custom field values
    -- from the MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES table as identified in this SD

-- Script should be use alongside a Tech Lead or an escalation resource as using it
    -- incorrectly can put the data in a bad state.
    -- This script will fix all plans that it detects with this condition by
    -- removing the duplicate Proj custom field values
    -- Please validate in a test environment being implementing in Production
    -- AikChen 1/12/2012

-- Start by backing up table
    -- Only need to run once before doing the duplicate records removal
    -- select * into MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES_Backup from MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES

---- Restore everything back to the original state
    ---- no need to run except to reset records back to original if clean up did not work
    ---- or had unexpected side effects. Make sure you take a backup of the table first
    ---- using previous script just above this section
    --delete from MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES
    --insert into MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES
    --select * from MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES_Backup

-- Begin script to remove duplicates. First check if condtion exisit and only proceed if it does.
    declare @iterations as int
    set @iterations=
    (
    SELECT top 1 COUNT (*) TOTALCOUNT FROM MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES AS CFV
    INNER JOIN MSP_PROJECTS AS MP ON CFV.PROJ_UID=MP.PROJ_UID
    INNER JOIN MSP_CUSTOM_FIELDS_PUBLISHED_VIEW AS  CFPV
    ON CFV.MD_PROP_UID=CFPV.MD_PROP_UID
    INNER JOIN MSP_CUSTOM_FIELDS AS CF
    ON CFV.MD_PROP_UID = CF.MD_PROP_UID
    WHERE CF.MD_PROP_MAX_VALUES=1

GROUP BY CFV.PROJ_UID,MP.PROJ_NAME, CFV.MD_PROP_UID, CFPV.MD_PROP_NAME HAVING COUNT (*)  >1
    ORDER BY TOTALCOUNT DESC
    )-1

if @iterations is null
    begin
    print 'Did not find any duplicates to process'
    end

else
    begin

print 'Total Iterations to process: '
    print @iterations

while @iterations <>0
    begin

Print 'Iteration count: '
    Print @iterations

declare @PROJ_UID as uniqueidentifier
    declare @MD_PROP_UID as uniqueidentifier
    declare @MOD_DATE as datetime 

declare ACDeleteDuplicateRecords cursor for

-- Return only duplicate records and return only 1 of the records with the oldest date (min)
    -- This list is then passed into the cursor to sequentially delete the records based on unique triad
    -- of proj_uid, MD_PROP_UID, MOD_DATE
    select PROJ_UID, MD_PROP_UID, min(MOD_DATE) as MOD_DATE from MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES  where proj_uid in
    (SELECT CFV.PROJ_UID FROM MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES AS CFV
    GROUP BY CFV.PROJ_UID,MP.PROJ_NAME, CFV.MD_PROP_UID, CFPV.MD_PROP_NAME HAVING COUNT (*)  >1
    )
    and MD_PROP_UID in
    (SELECT CFV.MD_PROP_UID FROM MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES AS CFV
    )
    group by PROJ_UID, MD_PROP_UID
    order by PROJ_UID

Open ACDeleteDuplicateRecords  
    fetch next from ACDeleteDuplicateRecords   
    into @PROJ_UID, @MD_PROP_UID, @MOD_DATE

while @@fetch_status =0   
    begin   

delete from MSP_PROJ_CUSTOM_FIELD_VALUES where
    PROJ_UID=@PROJ_UID
    and
    MD_PROP_UID=@MD_PROP_UID
    and
    MOD_DATE=@MOD_DATE

fetch next from ACDeleteDuplicateRecords   
    into @PROJ_UID, @MD_PROP_UID, @MOD_DATE 

end  
    close ACDeleteDuplicateRecords  
    deallocate  ACDeleteDuplicateRecords 

set @iterations = @iterations-1

end
    end

------when finished run the following stored procedures on the published and draft dbs

Use PS_Published_DB
    go
    exec sp_updatestats
    go

Use PS_Draft_DB
    go
    exec sp_updatestats
    go

Lewis_Carroll "His answer trickled through my head like water through a sieve."

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I had the same problem. To solve the problem, I have installed the hotfix of September 14, 2012 and a hotfix of Project Pro 2010. The problem was solved:

• When I republished old projects.
    • And did not occur in new projects.

Hotfix:

Please perform the installation in a test environment. Use the hotfix only if necessary

Any questions let me know. I hope they are useful!

Juan Pablo.
    surpoint.blogspot.com
    jpussacq.me
    @jpussacq

Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Hi Juan, thanks for sharing this.  It'll be interesting to hear of other people's experiences.  I would dearly love this to be solved once and for all (just in time for the new version ;) )

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:44 PM
  • I do not think this is supported, neither is ProjDateVal

Project Server Help BLOG

Saturday, October 06, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Coenraad:

I am in Redmond all day, I will raise this issue with the team. February CU is now available so that might help. For now I'm closing the thread, but I'll post back if I learn anything.

Project Server Help BLOG

So what is going on with this issue ? Is there a fix out there ?
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:01 PM