none
Calculating total number of working hours per year

Question

• Dear colleagues,

I need to calculate man-years for each resource of my project. As far as I understand, I need to divide Work of a Resource to the total number of working hours per year of that Resource (with respect to it's Calendar).

If this makes sence, could you advice me an easy way to calculate total number of working hours per year using corresponding Calendar please?

• Edited by Andrey Kazak Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:46 AM

Answers

• >> How do I automatically calculate #### based on Calendar of a Resource?

In a resource table, insert ProjDateDiff("1-Jan-2012","31-Dec-2012",Name)/60 into a custom Number
    field. I assume your project starts and finishes in 2012.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Hello,

Good solution! Just a small precision fora first time formula user: Name must be beween square brackets

[Name]

Greetings,

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• >> divide Work of a Resource to the total number of working hours per year of that Resource (with respect to it's Calendar).

IMO, Work / Work Availability will give Percent Allocation for a resource.

I believe the following view/report will provide the values (man-years) that you need:

- Resource Usage view with Timescale tier in Years (hide task assignments in the table for easy viewing).

- Resource Work Summary report with Years as level of usage data.

Regards.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Andrey,

At my last consulting gig, we calculated this in the resource sheet using a custom number field with the following formula:

[Work]/60/####

Where ####= Total available hours in a year.

This formula allows you to tweak productivity with messing with the Max Units field.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

Create a task

set first day of year as start, then last day of year as finish

Assign the resource to that task

Insert the Work column.

Greetings,

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:52 PM
  • A rather simplistic way is to put a year long task starting 2/1/12 and finishing 31/12 (fixed units) and apply your resource to it.  If you display the work as hours (tools / options / schedule) this will allow the hours for 1 year using the resource calandar to be displayed in the work column. 

If you understandably don't want to polute the actual schedule with this year long task you can export the calandar(s) into a fresh plan (Tools / customise and copy the calendars from your actual plan to a blank one) and perform the trick.

Note that you can display the work on an individual task in man months by adjusting the "Work shown in" value in tools options which might get you close for any individual task.

Hope this helps

Miles

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Andrey,

At my last consulting gig, we calculated this in the resource sheet using a custom number field with the following formula:

[Work]/60/####

Where ####= Total available hours in a year.

This formula allows you to tweak productivity with messing with the Max Units field.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

OK. That's similar to I want to calculate: take a project, select a resource, calculate total hours spent by the resource and divide it on total number of working hours available for the resource with respect to it's Calendar.

How do I automatically calculate #### based on Calendar of a Resource?

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:53 AM
  • >> How do I automatically calculate #### based on Calendar of a Resource?

In a resource table, insert ProjDateDiff("1-Jan-2012","31-Dec-2012",Name)/60 into a custom Number
    field. I assume your project starts and finishes in 2012.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Hello,

Good solution! Just a small precision fora first time formula user: Name must be beween square brackets

[Name]

Greetings,

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:35 AM