none
Project Server 2010 branching workflow Issue..

Question

• Dear All,

I have developed a branching workflow using same procedure(Completely same) as mentioned in msdn and depleoyed it to  microsoft project server 2010 HYPER-V image at http://project.contoso.com/pwa/. After that I have created a EPT named as "DummyEPT" and associated my "Branching Workflow" as site workflow association and set new project page as "Project Information" and nothing else.

After this I have created my new proposal by selecting "DummyEPT" and after putting some value in "Project Information Page"

when I click on save I am getting following messgae: "The create operation has been queued, but it is taking longer time than expected to process. Click on: Go To My Queued Jobs" to visit my queued jobs page. Click: Ok to close the project and return to project center".

When I visit Queued jobs page, I am getting "Project Site Creation" has been failed but not blocking the correlation having ID 26000.

And when I visit "Project Center" and click on  the project which I had created I am getting following message: "Unable to open project. The project has not been properly initialized. this may be caused by the workflow associated with EPT not starting correctly".

Kindly help me to get out of this issue and I am not able to debug my workflow I have applied the breakpoint but they are not triggering.

Regards

Sachin Vashishth | MCTS

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:41 AM

Answers

• Looks like the Workflow association created the issue. Do you have customization in the Project site too for that EPT?

If yes, remove the customized project site and use the default one. check the behaviour.

Sometimes this issue occurs if the workflow has issue.

Is that workflow solution built successfully without any error? Deployed successfully?

If the solution built with Warning or error message, fix it before the deployment.

The proposal was not created completely, that is the reason for the error message in Project center .

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Oh, I found solution... I don't know exactly, what happens, but: I re-create my test workflow, following step by step to my first workflow creating sequence. And now my workflow succesfully work.

So I can recommend you try this way.

P.S. Sorry for my English. Hope, it's understandable.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:12 PM

All replies

• Looks like the Workflow association created the issue. Do you have customization in the Project site too for that EPT?

If yes, remove the customized project site and use the default one. check the behaviour.

Sometimes this issue occurs if the workflow has issue.

Is that workflow solution built successfully without any error? Deployed successfully?

If the solution built with Warning or error message, fix it before the deployment.

The proposal was not created completely, that is the reason for the error message in Project center .

Monday, July 19, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Thanks Sriram,

I am using Microsoft Hyper-V image and for Project Site Template I am using "Microsoft Project Site". I think this site may be customized because it contains some custom web parts like "Project Flow VM, Project Description, Scores and Metrics Web Part", So as u said this may be the cause of problem. In that case cant I use my workflow on this customized Site Template or any other way to revert the changes on site template.

Note: No error while deploying the WF

Regards

Sachin Vashishth 

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Monday, July 19, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Dear All,

Any suugestion for above post..

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:03 AM
  • I've got the same error. And also is searching for solution. Can anyone help us?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Oh, I found solution... I don't know exactly, what happens, but: I re-create my test workflow, following step by step to my first workflow creating sequence. And now my workflow succesfully work.

So I can recommend you try this way.

P.S. Sorry for my English. Hope, it's understandable.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hello Sachin,

I would recommend you to isolate the issue, whether it is due to WF or project site.

Create the project without Project site and observe the status. If that works, definitely the Project site customization is the probelm.

Otherwise you need to redo or redeploy the WF as MrNight said.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi Sriram,

My issue belongs to site workflow only but as u asked that whether I have customized my site template or not thats why I have specified  that I am using a customized site workflow.

So how can I create project without creating Project Site any idea????? beacsue I think this could help me.

Thanks MrNight

I have tried so many times to redeploy it but it is not working in my case...my bad luck!!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi All,

Any suggestion for above post, Kindly help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:52 AM