none
Planning changes for resources

Question

• Hi there, I want to solve a problem of planning with multiple tasks assigned to a single resource.

Suppose at beginning I have only one task “T” from 01st to 15th of the month, one resource “A” 100% (max 8h/day)

Then due to workload, before I start task “T” I have to introduce two additional processes “W” and “Z”. The first task is three hours a day for totally 2 days starting from 5th of the month, the second 2 hours a day last 5 days starting the 12th. These processes must be worked with priority, off course I need resource “A” employed 100% hours of work/day. The duration of the task “T” should increases totally two days to perform same work.

I am not able to define this work set-up.

I thank you in advance               

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• Arnaldo, I can't think of an automatic way to do it. You need to end up with the resource doing differing amounts of work on T on different days. You can do it manually by adjusting the daily work in the Resource Usage view. Tedious, but you get to the right end point.

Graham

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:08 PM

All replies

• Arnaldo, I can't think of an automatic way to do it. You need to end up with the resource doing differing amounts of work on T on different days. You can do it manually by adjusting the daily work in the Resource Usage view. Tedious, but you get to the right end point.

Graham

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Graham is correct.  There is no automatic way for project to ensure that your resource is 100% allocated given your requirements.

Task W the resource's allocation is 38% to spread the 3 hours per day (total 6 hours) across the 2 day duration.

Task Z is 25%.  Go to the Resource Usage view, add Peak Units to the right side and adjust the hours for task T until you get to 8 hours per day.  You'll likely have to extend the duration of Task T because you won't be accomplishing the 8 hours per day on that task.

Julie

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Arnaldo --

Graham has given you a totally correct answer.  If you assign the resource to the three tasks in the manner you describe, you end up creating an overallocation, shown in Microsoft Project 2010 and 2013 with a burning man indicator in the Indicators column to the left of each task.  If you goal is to keep the resource working at 100% units across all three tasks, then resource leveling will not help you.

As Graham stated, if you are willing to go to the bother, you can resolve this problem in the Resource Usage view using what is called manual contouring.  Here is what to do:

1.  Display the Resource Usage view.
    2.  Scroll the timephased grid so that you can see the Work hours on tasks T, W, and Z.
    3.  On the days when the work overlaps between task T and W, change the Work values for the T task to 5 hours per day by manually typing those values in the timephased grid.
    4.  On the days when the work overlaps between task T and Z, change the Work values for the T task to 6 hours per day by manually typing those values in the timephased grid.
    5.  For the T task, manually type 8 hours of Work in the timephased grid for the next two days after the task currently ends.

Completing the above process will resolve the resource overallocation, but I think you can see that this process is very laborious.  Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Ok, thank your very much for your precious help. I was hoping there was an automatic tool that I had not jet used, but it is not!

It seams there is no other way to plan: make a work distribution and then manual levelling.  

Monday, February 04, 2013 7:51 AM
  • Arnaldo --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, February 04, 2013 1:04 PM