none
Longest Path in Microsoft Project 2010

Question

• We want to be able to determine "Longest Path", not "Critical Path with Total Float less than zero (0). P6 allows this to choose between the two. Does nayone have a workaround based on the way MP 2010 software calculates? 

C.O.S.T., LLC

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:34 AM

Answers

• We want to be able to determine "Longest Path", not "Critical Path with Total Float less than zero (0). P6 allows this to choose between the two. Does nayone have a workaround based on the way MP 2010 software calculates? 

C.O.S.T., LLC

Sorry, I do not understand P6 language but I believe you mean "the path in a sequence of the tasks that is the longest regardless of the float" by "the longest path". To my best knowledge, the calculation of this path is not a feature that exists in MS Project.
    • Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:10 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Scheduler,

You are not alone in your quest to find the true critical path.  There is an add-on available that will find the critical path, by the longest duration path, rather than by identifying critical tasks, as Project does.  Check out http://www.projectprocorp.com/PDFfiles/Complete%20Critical%20Path%20feature%20sheet%20v1.pdf and see if this will help with your question.

Hope this helps you. 

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

• Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:09 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:05 PM

All replies

• What is the difference between "Longest Path" and "Critical Path"? What would be your proposed algorithm for this computation?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:08 AM

C.O.S.T., LLC

Sorry, I do not understand P6 language but I believe you mean "the path in a sequence of the tasks that is the longest regardless of the float" by "the longest path". To my best knowledge, the calculation of this path is not a feature that exists in MS Project.
    • Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:10 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Scheduler,

You are not alone in your quest to find the true critical path.  There is an add-on available that will find the critical path, by the longest duration path, rather than by identifying critical tasks, as Project does.  Check out http://www.projectprocorp.com/PDFfiles/Complete%20Critical%20Path%20feature%20sheet%20v1.pdf and see if this will help with your question.

Hope this helps you. 

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

• Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scheduler OK Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:09 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:05 PM