none
export project data from MS project 2007 to Excel 2007

Question

• Hi,

Can i have the same format retained when i export data from ms project to ms excel. Please advise

thanks

mp

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hi mp,

Just to add on a bit.  You can easily re-create the hierarchical structure in Excel by exporting the Outline Level field in addition to the task data.  Then use autofilters to quickly indent the subtasks as needed.  If you are not skilled in macros or VBA that may be a more comfortable approach.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:35 PM

All replies

• Not in Project 2007 without VBA code, but Project 2010 does with copy/Paste.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:25 AM
  • As Rod said, in Project 2007 you will only export retaining the "same" format (like hierarchical structure) using macros. Do you need one?
    Alexandre Paiva, PMP, MCTS, ITIL Project Manager +55 (21) 8887-3645 alexandre.paiva@gerentedeprojeto.net.br www.gerentedeprojeto.net.br
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Yes Alexandre, please share it and let me know what steps i got to take to implement it as i am not too technical on that.

Thanks for your help again

Thanks Gill for taking up my question.

mp

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Hi mp,

Just to add on a bit.  You can easily re-create the hierarchical structure in Excel by exporting the Outline Level field in addition to the task data.  Then use autofilters to quickly indent the subtasks as needed.  If you are not skilled in macros or VBA that may be a more comfortable approach.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:35 PM
  • In earlier versions of MSP the only way to get the structure you are looking for was through VBA as many have indicated.  If you are using 2010 version, you can set up a table with the necessary columns and then copy and paste the tasks into Excel and the format will be retained.

The version of MSP you are using will make a difference.

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:19 PM