none
Upgrading to Microsoft project 2010 from 2000

Question

• My question is simple yet I cant seem to figure out the answer. I have Microsoft Project 2000 (single license) and I want to upgrade to Microsoft Project 2010 (single license), but I don't know which version I need to get. Is there a special upgrade package I can buy or do I need to get the full application? I am a contractor and need it for my purposes only (no need to link to an EPM version). Microsoft's site is not very helpful in this way. A URL to the site to buy it would be awesome if possible.  Thanks!
    Friday, November 05, 2010 6:05 PM

Answers

• Not at all.  It depends on the setup you are using.  If all that is installed now is Project 98 (Standard), and Project 2000 (Standard), there is no need to purchase Project Server of any kind to duplicate the installed functionality.  However, you may need operating system upgrades to run Project 2010.  Check what operating system you have (For example Windows 2000, or Windows XP, etc) and compare that to the minimums required for Project 2010  (www.microsoft.com/project).

If the team is already using something like Project Server, or Project Central, then you might need to upgrade everyone to Project 2010 (including upgrade of Project Server to Project Server 2010)... but only if you are running a similar legacy product.

Project 2010 will save back to Project 2000-2003 format, it will not read/save Project 98 files without an interim step.  If you want the best  compatibility, all users should be on the same version of Project.  If you do install Server, then it is mandatory that all versions match... that is Project 2007 does not play nice with Project Server 2010, etc.  Similarly, Project 2010 is not going to play nice with any version of Project Server other than Project Server 2010.

If you feel this post answered the question, please vote for it. I am also available here:
    msprojectblog.com
    Friday, November 05, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• I don't know if there's an upgrade SKU, but my guess is that there isn't
    from 2000.  You're best off just getting a full copy of MS Project 2010 Standard.

That being said, note that there are feature (and price) differences between
    Standard and the Professional edition.  Professional also offers:

1) Sync to SharePoint
    2) Team Planner view

Check out www.microsoft.com/project for more information....

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, November 05, 2010 6:24 PM
  • A client of mine is running into the same issue and is looking to upgrade from MS Project 98.  I seem to be getting a lot of different information.  I work for a Microsoft LAR and my Software Licensing Team has instructed me that my client will also need to purchase several other licenses including Project Server 2010, Windows Server, and addtional user CALS.  Is this correct? 

Friday, November 05, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Not at all.  It depends on the setup you are using.  If all that is installed now is Project 98 (Standard), and Project 2000 (Standard), there is no need to purchase Project Server of any kind to duplicate the installed functionality.  However, you may need operating system upgrades to run Project 2010.  Check what operating system you have (For example Windows 2000, or Windows XP, etc) and compare that to the minimums required for Project 2010  (www.microsoft.com/project).

If the team is already using something like Project Server, or Project Central, then you might need to upgrade everyone to Project 2010 (including upgrade of Project Server to Project Server 2010)... but only if you are running a similar legacy product.

Project 2010 will save back to Project 2000-2003 format, it will not read/save Project 98 files without an interim step.  If you want the best  compatibility, all users should be on the same version of Project.  If you do install Server, then it is mandatory that all versions match... that is Project 2007 does not play nice with Project Server 2010, etc.  Similarly, Project 2010 is not going to play nice with any version of Project Server other than Project Server 2010.

If you feel this post answered the question, please vote for it. I am also available here:
    msprojectblog.com
    Friday, November 05, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Isreal Jim is correct for a simple Project Standard or Porject Pro upgrade you do not need all the other software components. Surprised as a LAR you are not aware of our SKUs, licensing model and upgrade path.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Chris,

I'm new to the IT industry so I'm having to rely on the resources available to me.  I was told by my licensing team that Project Standard will not require any additional components but Project Pro was quite different.  My client will need the project collaboration synchronization functionality.  They are a general contractor and have about 6 project managers that will be using project pro but the company as a whole has a total of 45 end users.  I was told they would need 6 project pro cals, 1 sql server r2 2008, 45 sql server cals, 1 win server standard r2 2008, and 45 win svr user cals. 

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:56 PM