none
Email Notifications for Team Task assignments

Question

• Hi,

Using Project Server 2010.  Is there a way to get an email notification when a team task is assigned?  I only see a thread from over 3 years ago saying the answer was no.  I was hoping maybe there's been an update or patch since then to allow this.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

• Scott_CF --

Pardon me for bumping into this conversation.  No, there is no default functionality in Project Server 2010 that causes the system to send e-mail Notification messages to team members that are part of a Team resource.  The system only sends Notification and Reminder messages to human resources that have an e-mail address.  In order to have the system send Notification messages for the resources represented by a Team resource, I believe you would need to do custom software development, if this is even possible at all.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:20 PM

All replies

• Scott,
    If you go to "Manage My Resources' Alerts and Reminders" setting is the Task Alerts > Reassign Tasks checked?  I'd assume that if someone self assigned a task to themselves that would be treated as a reassignment and would trigger an email. 
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Joe, but we were hoping to have the notification be triggered by the actual Team Assignment, not when someone self assigns later.

This is our desired workflow:

We have members of Team A who will sometimes assign Team B to a task (both teams are different departments).  We would like our designated Team B Lead to receive notification that there is a Team B assignment.  Then that Lead would manually assign the task to someone on Team B herself.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Hi Scott, 3 conditions to send notification of assignments: - in SharePoint central > system settings : outgoing emails must be set up with SMTP server and sender email . - in PWA >server settings must be filled in with same information - resources must have a booking type as committed in the task, and not proposed Hope this helps Jeff
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Thanks Jeff.

All of those conditions are met.  We are already getting notifications for individuals.  Our question is whether or not there exists the functionality to allow notifications for Team Task assignments to be sent as opposed to individual resource assignments.

T.hanks

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Scott_CF --

Pardon me for bumping into this conversation.  No, there is no default functionality in Project Server 2010 that causes the system to send e-mail Notification messages to team members that are part of a Team resource.  The system only sends Notification and Reminder messages to human resources that have an e-mail address.  In order to have the system send Notification messages for the resources represented by a Team resource, I believe you would need to do custom software development, if this is even possible at all.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:20 PM