none
Group by requires Task Name

Question

• I am doing a Group by on a customized field, but it only works if Name is part of the table/view. What is up? If I do not have a Name field displayed the field I am grouping has blanks in the Group by line. and summary infor for the other fields. If I add Name, the yellow linw appears but the group by text is above the Name field not the one I am grouping on. Please help, thanks

Steve DeSomer

Friday, February 01, 2013 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

I see the same thing in Project 2010 - I don't know what version you are using.  I don't know why but my assumption is the summary data shows in the name field - not others.

Julie

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Steven,

I've never tried a group by without the Name field. As far as "what's up with that", I'd say the Name field is required because that is the text field Project uses to create the group summary line. As far as the group by text being "above" the Name field, the group criteria is included in the group summary line and the file is grouped as desired so although it may not be the format you want, the grouping is correct.

I'm afraid that's the way it works.

John

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Hi

Just include the Name field in your view and set the column with to minimum.

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Unfortunately, decreasing the width of the column hides the group names.  The column has to be wide enough to show the names correctly.
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hi

yes that is correct. If we nearly hide the Name column we cannot read the grouping any more in the Grouping row.

But if you include the grouping column in the view it might still be a workaround

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:13 PM
  • I have experimented with moving the custom field to the left and right and still the group header appears in the Name field.  I am not sure there is a work around.
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:45 PM