none
Project 2010 "There was a problem sending the command to the program" - File tab locked out

Question

• A user I support has a Project 2010 master scedule file that pertains to roughly 200 individual project files, all stored locally on their PC. When they open the master file the File tab is locked out and they receive this error; "There was a problem sending the command to the program". When they open the individual projects they can access the File tab normally.

The problem only occurs on the users own PC, copy the file to another PC or a network location and open it on another PC, it behaves correctly.

To resolve this we have tried:
    Copying and renaming the master file
    Creating a new master file and associating it with the projects
    Completely reinstalling Office 2010 and Project 2010 on the users PC

The user now advises that they are unable to attach projects to a new schedule file they have created.

So far we have not resolved the issue, if anything it's worse! Please advise?

We're using Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1, Office 2010 standard and Project 2010 Pro SP1
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• ADavies,

When I first saw your post I thought it might be file corruption, and some corruption may still be present but the fact that all the files are on his local PC means there is less of a chance. For best performance and to stave off corruption, the files, including the master, should all be in the same directory and folder on the PC.

Nonetheless, you indicate he tried building a new master without success. Question is, were the subproject files properly delinked from the old master before doing that. It is possible there are still some link fragments. I would try saving each subproject file as XML and then re-open in Project. I know, it will be a pain with 200 files but it will give him a clean start. Note: formatting will be lost int he process.

However, before going through the above process, he might simply have a corrupt user profile. That seems to be supported by the fact that it all works if the files are copied to another PC. Have the user reset his profile per the following:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hi John

I have recreated the users profile but unfortunately now when I try to open the file it crashes Project. I have opened the file on my own PC, saved it under a different name and handed it back. The user is now able to open the new file without Project crashing, they're going to delete the original master and add all the sub-projects to the new file.

When we tried the above copying and renaming yesterday the file would work for maybe an hour or two before presenting the error again, do you think that's likely after the profile recreate or just something we'll have to wait and see?

Thanks

Alex

• Edited by ADavies Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Alex,

It sounds like something in the file management process is initiating corruption that eventually results in a crash.

What exactly do you mean in your last paragraph about copying and renaming? (I assume you are not referring to my suggestion to save as XML and then re-open back to Project. That is not copying and renaming.)

When working with a master/subproject structure the files should never be renamed, moved, or "saved off" as backup. The files should all reside in the same folder on a local drive (i.e. not over a network). From what you described in your initial post, you have followed the advice about staying local, but the copying and renaming statement concerns me.

Since the user profile has been recreated, how about the suggestion to save all subproject as XML and re-open in Project? I know it's a pain, but since the user is still having problems, more action is required.

Also, tell us more about how you use your master/subproject structure. For example, how is it edited? How do you save after editing? Do you have cross project links between subprojects? Do you have a resource pool?

John

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:10 PM
  • The error has re-ocurred in the new master project file, I'll send the user down the exporting xml files route.

Thanks

Alex

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Alex,

Okay, I hope that helps but just in case it doesn't, it would be helpful to have the information I requested in my last post.

John

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:04 PM