none
Assigning resources in MS Project Pro 2010...

Question

• Task Type is Fixed Work (Options default)  1. When I assign multiple resources to one 3 day task in MSP Pro 2010, project schedules all three resource to work 24 hours for the three day period.  2. If I assign only one resource initially to one task, project assigns the resource to work 24 hours or 3 days.  Then I add 2 additional resouces to the task, Project assigns each resouce 1 day, eight hours whic is what I wanted to occur in number 1.  Why doesn't assigning all 3 resources the first time decrease the duration to 1 day and hours to 8 hours as expected?  Thank you Tom
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Here is the reason : Fixed Work by defualt means Effort Driven : meaning whatever you fix becomes the multiplier, say you said a Duration of 3 days with 3 resources it means each resource will work 8hrs/day X 3 resources - 72 hrs. This hours become Fix work now.

Your Scenario 1) Fixed Work Task - you made it 3d - then you assigned 3 resources -> so it made it 72 hrs. Means Fixed Work of 72 hrs. Now when you add 4th Resource, Duration would decrease, but Work remains as 72.

io 2) Fixed Work Task - 3d task - you assigned 1 resource first -> it used Work hrs. as multiplier. Means that total Work would be of 1 resource working 3 days (fixing the Work as 24 hrs). So when you assign second resource duration becomes 1.5d (as 24 hrs gets divided between 2 resources now).

If you want that based on the resources duration/work need to increase/decrease, try using Fixed Unites & Effort Driven Tasks.

T1 (fixed unit & ED) - 3 d - you add 1 resource, then another duration will decrease accordingly. 

You can refer to : http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-project-tutorial-duration-and-task-types/1031576

http://www.epmcentral.com/msproject/fixedwork.php

Sapna S

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi Tk_5,

My way to explain this is as follows.

Project will try its best to make the formula Work=Duration*Assignment Units stick. BUT, when you assign resources (Units) before any work is defined (the Work=0) Project is unable to apply Duration=Work/Units since that would make duration 0 as well (which is not what you want, normally).

So in this case (Work=0 before the assignment) Project keeps duration constant (whatever the task type) - that explains your first case.

BTW, if you insert a Work column and put any value other than 0 in it before assigning resources, , Proejct will indeed apply Fixed Work and recalculate duration!

As for your case 2, you probably have understood by now. The first assignment (one resource) creates work different from 0, so the next assignments will make duration recalculate.

It's al about the difference between Duration and Work.

Greetings,

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Here is the reason : Fixed Work by defualt means Effort Driven : meaning whatever you fix becomes the multiplier, say you said a Duration of 3 days with 3 resources it means each resource will work 8hrs/day X 3 resources - 72 hrs. This hours become Fix work now.

Your Scenario 1) Fixed Work Task - you made it 3d - then you assigned 3 resources -> so it made it 72 hrs. Means Fixed Work of 72 hrs. Now when you add 4th Resource, Duration would decrease, but Work remains as 72.

io 2) Fixed Work Task - 3d task - you assigned 1 resource first -> it used Work hrs. as multiplier. Means that total Work would be of 1 resource working 3 days (fixing the Work as 24 hrs). So when you assign second resource duration becomes 1.5d (as 24 hrs gets divided between 2 resources now).

If you want that based on the resources duration/work need to increase/decrease, try using Fixed Unites & Effort Driven Tasks.

T1 (fixed unit & ED) - 3 d - you add 1 resource, then another duration will decrease accordingly. 

You can refer to : http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-project-tutorial-duration-and-task-types/1031576

http://www.epmcentral.com/msproject/fixedwork.php

Sapna S

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi Tk_5,

My way to explain this is as follows.

Project will try its best to make the formula Work=Duration*Assignment Units stick. BUT, when you assign resources (Units) before any work is defined (the Work=0) Project is unable to apply Duration=Work/Units since that would make duration 0 as well (which is not what you want, normally).

So in this case (Work=0 before the assignment) Project keeps duration constant (whatever the task type) - that explains your first case.

BTW, if you insert a Work column and put any value other than 0 in it before assigning resources, , Proejct will indeed apply Fixed Work and recalculate duration!

As for your case 2, you probably have understood by now. The first assignment (one resource) creates work different from 0, so the next assignments will make duration recalculate.

It's al about the difference between Duration and Work.

Greetings,

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Thank you.  I think I understand it better.  I am displaying the work column and it is 0 until I enter the first resource then it = total days (hrs) then I add additional resouces and the duration decreases.  

Thank you both. 

Tom

Tom King

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Welcome Tom for the Feedback.

Sapna S

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:45 PM