none
printing problem in MS Project 2010

Question

• Hi all,

Im beginner in MS Project Professional 2010. I see that every features is impressed. But i have a problem with printing data. My issue is when i print a table, click "print preview", all text lines is cut off and it can only display in one single line although all display in Sheet task is full. I setup in onether computer and is OK. But in my PC, i can not solve. Im running Windows7 Professional, 32 bit. Can anyone help me?

Thanks and Regards,

Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:20 AM

Answers

• thangpro,

Project doesn't really have any special "printing" capabilities.  It renders to the print preview screen or paper via the printer driver.  that being said, make sure you have the latest service pack.

I'm pretty certain the "reason" is the printer driver.  If not the printer driver, then the operating system on which the printer driver depends is messed up (technical term) either due to a software or perhaps hardware (flaw on disk) problem.  Could be a flaw on a sector on the hard disk. It happens.  There are software fixes for these sort of problem, but ...
    See again Mike's suggestion to plug the working printer into this flawed computer. Does it work or not? Have you confirmed you have exactly the same printer driver? 

At this point, rather than continue to debug the computer I would simply re-intall Windows and the applications.  It's easier to to reinstall and let the computer due the work with a fresh install than it is to figure out what's wrong.  Easier on the brain and your time.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

My guess would be that it is due to a printer driver issue.  If the file prints fine on one computer, but not another, see if you can track down the differences in printers and print drivers between the two.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Thanks but i dont think that is printer driver issue. When i choose "Print Preview", all text line is displayed only in one line. The rest is truncated. I reinstalled with MS project 2003 and 2007, everything is OK. I dont know why, help me plz! Best Regards,
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Thangpro,

Julie is pointing you in the right direction.  Print Driver issues are the cause of most problems with printing (and print previewing) in Microsoft Project. Microsoft Project does not have capability to render ouput to a printer.  Microsoft Project tells the printer driver what it wants and the printer driver does it.  As Julie suggested, try to ascertain what is different between the two computers you are using. On the flawed computer, try using a different printer, reinstalling the driver for the printer you want to use, and be sure to check the printer vendor's web site for updated drivers. Reinstalling Project is unlikely--and you confirmed that--to have much impact on this problem.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 4:05 AM
  • I understand the direction from Julie. But i installed many Print Drivers in my PC, like: Foxit Phantom, pdf Factory, or HL Brother...But when i preview, it is same problem. I wonder if the reason is my Windows 7. Do MS have any hotfix for this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Saturday, July 09, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hi thangpro,

Can you plug it into the printer that the other PC was using?

How many drivers you have installed is not the point.  Contact the manufacturer of the printer you are using and download its latest driver.

Please see FAQ Item: 44.  Printing Problems. FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Well, I installed the lastest print driver but the issue is not solved. In fact, i try in another computer with the same printer driver and everything is OK. Moreover, when work in Project 2003 or 2007, it can print as i expect. When try in my friend's PC, click "print preview" with printer is Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, it's OK also. I dont know whats wrong with my Windows 7? Do i installed miss windows hotfix?

Thanks and Regards,

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

This may be a semantic question, but in Project 2010 I cannot find a Print Preview button or command. Did I miss something?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Jan De,

You can see Print Preview button in Quick Access Toolbar.

Thanks,

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi Jan,

mate, if its not visible then you might need to add it in the ribbon or quick access toolbar. there are lot of option not visible by default, so you have to add them from File -> Options.

hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Thanks all! My surprise came from teh fact that a print preview as we knew it doesn't exist in 2010 any more, and yes, the button I never looked for does the same as File, Print - not a specific action as we knew it. But thanks enayway!
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Well, can anyone solve my problem? I dont know what is the reason?

Thanks all,

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:02 AM
  • thangpro,

Project doesn't really have any special "printing" capabilities.  It renders to the print preview screen or paper via the printer driver.  that being said, make sure you have the latest service pack.

I'm pretty certain the "reason" is the printer driver.  If not the printer driver, then the operating system on which the printer driver depends is messed up (technical term) either due to a software or perhaps hardware (flaw on disk) problem.  Could be a flaw on a sector on the hard disk. It happens.  There are software fixes for these sort of problem, but ...
    See again Mike's suggestion to plug the working printer into this flawed computer. Does it work or not? Have you confirmed you have exactly the same printer driver? 

At this point, rather than continue to debug the computer I would simply re-intall Windows and the applications.  It's easier to to reinstall and let the computer due the work with a fresh install than it is to figure out what's wrong.  Easier on the brain and your time.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Rob,

I think perhalp, the final solution is re-install Windows. I will take me a lot time. But i think there are no another way.

Thanks all,

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:37 AM