none
Manually Scheduled vs Auto Scheduled

Question

• Hi,

I would like to know about the difference between Manually Schedule and Auto Schedule. If i create two tasks T1 (Auto Schedule) and T2 (Manually Scheule) and assign both these tasks to myself. Now in my task list i see both these tasks i.e. T1 and T2. If i want to update the work done  on T2 (Manullay schedule) task i can simply change the % Work Completed to (let say) 50%. It automatically calculates the remaining work and etc. At the same time if i go to my time sheet, the actual and planned time is grayed out and i cant modify the changes into them. Let say on T2 (Manually Scheduled) task i completed it 50% and spend 5hours on that day. I can change the % work completed but cannt enter the actual time. Where as for T1 (Auto Scheduled) i can update the hours in timesheet but the % work is grayed out. Can you plelase explain why is it this way.

Thanks

______________________ Fahad Khan
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there are two possibilities for auto-scheduled tasks:

First one is to use the tracking method, your PM has chosen, which can be one of the two following in your case (in fact there are three, but you have already confirmed, that it is not the third one):

• You will either be able to enter your progress in the timescale grid in "Tasks" with hours per day. If you want to let him know, that you are finished, update column Remaining Work with 0.
    • If you are not able to enter hours in timescale grid, your PM has used the third tracking method. In this case, you will only be able to change values in columns Actual Work and Remaining Work.

Second:
    If you want to enter progress with % complete, but you are currently not able to do so (auto-scheduled), ask your project manager to open this project in Project Professional and go to File - Info and change tracking method to %Complete.

Did I increase your confusion?
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you identified one of the biggest differences between Manually and auto-scheduled: you can't enter any timephased data. It is even not possible in Project client. Just open a Usage view (task or resource), you will not be able to enter any data in timescale grid.

The only reporting methods for manually scheduled tasks are %complete and actual/remaining work.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:18 AM
  • I hit submit too early:

To avoid this kind of trouble, you can force your PMs to use autoscheduled tasks in Server Settings - Additional Server Settings and deslecting "Manually Scheduled tasks can be published to team members" (and set other options there as wanted).

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Thanks Barbara,

What about the Auto Scheduled tasks. How can i update the status of auto scheduled tasks? as i cannt change the % work completed coz its grayed out. by entering the time in timesheet doesnt change the % work completed as well. How can i update Aute Scheduled task?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

that is depending on the tracking method either defined by Project Server administrator at Server Settings - Task Settings and Display in the first section. If administrator hasn't checked "Force project managers to use the progress reporting method specified above for all projects", a PM will be able to overwrite default values in client File - Info in the very right pane.

If you have SEM (Single Entry Mode, activated in Server Settings - Timesheet Settings and Defualts) enabled, the only available tracking method is "Hours of work done per period".

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

I am bit confused here. let me make it simple. let say i have been assigned with few tasks. some of them are manually scheduled and some are auto schedule. i know wat to do with manually scheduled tasks, how to update them and send to my team lead for approval. what should i do in case of auto scheduled tasks. how can i update them and send their status to team lead for approval. If you can help me with that i will really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

there are two possibilities for auto-scheduled tasks:

First one is to use the tracking method, your PM has chosen, which can be one of the two following in your case (in fact there are three, but you have already confirmed, that it is not the third one):

• You will either be able to enter your progress in the timescale grid in "Tasks" with hours per day. If you want to let him know, that you are finished, update column Remaining Work with 0.
    • If you are not able to enter hours in timescale grid, your PM has used the third tracking method. In this case, you will only be able to change values in columns Actual Work and Remaining Work.

Second:
    If you want to enter progress with % complete, but you are currently not able to do so (auto-scheduled), ask your project manager to open this project in Project Professional and go to File - Info and change tracking method to %Complete.

Did I increase your confusion?
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 12:05 PM
  • naa....not this time Barbara. Thanks for being patient and helping me out...it worked :)
    _________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:37 AM