none
Approval Center (2010)

Question

• Hi,

We are using Project Server 2010 timesheets with SEM activated.

A resource is set with the following :

Timesheet Manager: Admin 1

Assignment Owner: himself (auto-approval? )

When the resource click Send Status > Selected tasks, the approval request arrives in another administrator: (Admin 2) Approval Center.

Why?

What did I miss?

Thanks 

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

with SEM enabled, there are two approval routings:

1. Timesheet approval is required by timesheet Manager, in your case Admin1. In most cases, this is the manager of resource, who needs to know who is doing what. I assume, he is seeing a timesheet update waiting. If he does not yet, I assume you have "Require line approval before timesheet approval enabled" activated in Server Settings. In this case, he will not be able to approve timeshhet before point 2 (below) is approved. For Timesheets, you can define a sort of AutoApproval by setting Timesheet Manager of a resource to himself.
    2. Status Update approval is required by Status Manager. This is the person, who created the task, so in most cases Project Owner. Or someone, who ever created a template, which is used for this project. A Status Manager has to approve all status updates to get them reflected in his project. Check the Status Manager: Open project in Project Professional and add column Status Manager. I think you will see Admin2 in there.
      You will not get any AutoApproval for Status Updates by just changing any resource settings. A Project Manager is responsible for his project, so he needs to be aware of status. But he can enable rules for autoapproval and autopublish in Approval Center, for resources he trust or non-critical projects, or all updates.

Does that explain what you see?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:07 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

with SEM enabled, there are two approval routings:

1. Timesheet approval is required by timesheet Manager, in your case Admin1. In most cases, this is the manager of resource, who needs to know who is doing what. I assume, he is seeing a timesheet update waiting. If he does not yet, I assume you have "Require line approval before timesheet approval enabled" activated in Server Settings. In this case, he will not be able to approve timeshhet before point 2 (below) is approved. For Timesheets, you can define a sort of AutoApproval by setting Timesheet Manager of a resource to himself.
    2. Status Update approval is required by Status Manager. This is the person, who created the task, so in most cases Project Owner. Or someone, who ever created a template, which is used for this project. A Status Manager has to approve all status updates to get them reflected in his project. Check the Status Manager: Open project in Project Professional and add column Status Manager. I think you will see Admin2 in there.
      You will not get any AutoApproval for Status Updates by just changing any resource settings. A Project Manager is responsible for his project, so he needs to be aware of status. But he can enable rules for autoapproval and autopublish in Approval Center, for resources he trust or non-critical projects, or all updates.

Does that explain what you see?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:07 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Barbara,

Thanks a lot for these detailed explanations!

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:08 PM