none
Gaps In my Timeline

Question

• I am using MS Project Professional for the first time today. I've added all of my project details (auto scheduled across the board), but when I add my milestones and summary tasks to the timeline I have a gap between each one. Each summary is linked to the previous milestone so I expected them to be back to back (as they were on the demos i watched). Even if I play with the start/finish dates to ensure that weekends are not in play I still have gaps between the milestones and subsequent summary tasks. 

Anyone else having the same problem or know what I am doing wrong and how I can fix it?

Here is an example of where I see a gap:

Task Mode Task Name Duration Start Finish Predecessors
    Auto Scheduled LCP2: Planning 3 days Tue 4/10/12 Thu 4/12/12
    Auto Scheduled    Document Required Changes 2 days Tue 4/10/12 Wed 4/11/12
    Auto Scheduled    Ticket Development Work 1 day Thu 4/12/12 Thu 4/12/12 4
    Auto Scheduled    Planning Complete 0 days Thu 4/12/12 Thu 4/12/12 5
    Auto Scheduled LCP2: Development 7 days Fri 4/13/12 Mon 4/23/12 6

Thanks,

Ward

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Ward,

Had to test it, but no, sorry. Weekends do appear on the timeline view and thus can create "gaps".

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Ward W Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Ward,

The extremely simple explanation is that there is no gap at all. Go to File, Options, General, and select a date format inclusing time of day. You will see that task 5 finishes on 12/4 end of day (sorry but for me 4/12 is december) ; the milestone this happens 12/4 end of day, and the next task naturally starts 13/4 beginning of day.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Thanks Jan - so I guess I should be asking how to exclude non working hours from the timeline?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:38 PM
  • i agree totally with him.

You should check the strat time of your activities than check your default working time and start time.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Hi Ward,

I suppose by "timeline" you mean the timescale of the Gantt Chart view and not the "Timeline View"?

In that case I'm sorry, you can't.

Greetings,

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:23 AM
  • No I am referring to the timeline view -  It shows gaps for weekends and off hours (between milestones and the start of a new summary task). 

Thanks for the continued help,

Ward

• Edited by Ward W Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hi Ward,

Had to test it, but no, sorry. Weekends do appear on the timeline view and thus can create "gaps".

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Ward W Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:05 PM