none
How do you change a Project from 5 day work week to a 7 day 24 hour work week

Question

• We have a MS Project set up but the time table default is set to a 5 day work week. Well this project is a 24/7 project and the timing of not counting saturday and sunday as work days is screwing up the schedule. I have attempted to go into Project/change work time but that only changes the time table for that one task. How do I apply this time table to the entire project?

I have also attempted to use the 'Create New Calander' tab but it still does not seem to apply to the entire project.

How do I make this global project conversion?

• Changed type Harry Yuan Monday, March 21, 2011 5:54 AM
    • Moved by Harry Yuan Monday, March 21, 2011 5:57 AM (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• I have been creating 24/7 schedules for many of my current clients.  Keep in mind that when you change the project calendar to 24/7 (Project --> Project information) is it controlling the initial task scheduling untill a resource is assigned to a task at which time the resource calendar will determine scheduling.  Also do not be confused regarding the calendar that you are viewing on the Gantt charts and usage views.  They are set by default to show the standard calendar.  So if you are using the 24/7 calendar double click on the timescale, select non-working time and change which calendar you are viewing (24/7) for each view. 

Applying the 24/7 calendar to a task is not necessary if the project calendar is 24/7.  However make sure that the calendar options have been changed to work with the 24/7 calendar.  My clients have been creating manufacturing shut down schedules so their settings for the options are 6:00 am for the start time and 4 hours for the number of hours per day. 

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• Under project information you can read/set teh project calendar. When you edit calendar times, edit teh project calendar and it affects all tsaks that have no resources. For tasks that do have resources, view teh Resource Sheet. The calendar in the Base Calendar field also needs editing to 7x24. Note by default 1d is still 8 working hours unless you change it. I recommend leaving 1d as 8h as that's what most people understand as 1 day of work.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:19 AM
  • In PWA, Server settings, Enterprise calendars - create new calendar, it will open the project professional and new calendar

Set the Work Weeks -->Details - Select Saturday & Sunday and set the working hours

Save the calendar with appropriate name

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:05 PM
  • I have been creating 24/7 schedules for many of my current clients.  Keep in mind that when you change the project calendar to 24/7 (Project --> Project information) is it controlling the initial task scheduling untill a resource is assigned to a task at which time the resource calendar will determine scheduling.  Also do not be confused regarding the calendar that you are viewing on the Gantt charts and usage views.  They are set by default to show the standard calendar.  So if you are using the 24/7 calendar double click on the timescale, select non-working time and change which calendar you are viewing (24/7) for each view. 

Applying the 24/7 calendar to a task is not necessary if the project calendar is 24/7.  However make sure that the calendar options have been changed to work with the 24/7 calendar.  My clients have been creating manufacturing shut down schedules so their settings for the options are 6:00 am for the start time and 4 hours for the number of hours per day. 

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:51 PM