none
MS Project 2010 Beta - Import Wizard Not Displaying Source Worksheet Name

    Question

  • Hi everyone,

    I use a process of importing Excel files in MS Project 2007. Works like a charm. But in the MS Project 2010 Beta:

    1. Open the Excel file -> Import Wizard initiates
    2. Use "New Map"
    3. Import "As a New Project"
    4. Map options are "Tasks" and "Import Includes Headers"
    5. Task Mapping does not show any "Source worksheet name"

    This Excel file works fine in MS Project 2007. Is this a known issue?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

  • Hi Dale,

    Thanks for the quick response. I create the Excel file by exporting data out of SharePoint. The resulting Excel file created has a single worksheet with the default name of that worksheet of "owssvr(1)". I started playing with it and found that if I simply rename the worksheet in the Excel file to "owssvr", life is good again. I can walk through the Import Wizard and the Task Mapping shows the worksheet. You can try this too:

    1. Create an Excel file (any version) with a single worksheet named "test(1)"
    2. Fill in cell A1 with the value"Hi Mom" and A2 with "Hi Dad"

    3. From MS Project,  Open the Excel file -> Import Wizard initiates
    4. Map, Use "New Map"
    5. Import, "As a New Project"
    6. Map options, "Tasks" and "Import Includes Headers"
    7. Task Mapping does not show any "Source worksheet name"

    8. Re-open the Excel file and change the name of the worksheet from "test(1)" to simply "test"
    9. Save this and repeat steps 3-7, but the result is that "Test" shows up as a source worksheet to select.

    I don't know too many people that use "(" and ")" in their worksheet names, but since this is the default from a SharePoint export, it might be worth investigating a fix.

    Thanks again,
    Ron

    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:25 PM

All replies

  • rontorres --

    I just imported an Excel workbook successfully this morning in Microsoft Project 2010 without the problems you see.  I created the Excel workbook as an XLSX (2007) file by exporting a Microsoft Project 2010 file using the Project Excel Template, and it works fine.  So, t might help if you would tell us how you created your Excel workbook (by saving it from a Microsoft Project file using the Project Excel Template, for example) and whether you saved it as an XLSX (2007) file or an XLS (97-2003) file.  Let us know and we will try to help.

    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:34 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Dale,

    Thanks for the quick response. I create the Excel file by exporting data out of SharePoint. The resulting Excel file created has a single worksheet with the default name of that worksheet of "owssvr(1)". I started playing with it and found that if I simply rename the worksheet in the Excel file to "owssvr", life is good again. I can walk through the Import Wizard and the Task Mapping shows the worksheet. You can try this too:

    1. Create an Excel file (any version) with a single worksheet named "test(1)"
    2. Fill in cell A1 with the value"Hi Mom" and A2 with "Hi Dad"

    3. From MS Project,  Open the Excel file -> Import Wizard initiates
    4. Map, Use "New Map"
    5. Import, "As a New Project"
    6. Map options, "Tasks" and "Import Includes Headers"
    7. Task Mapping does not show any "Source worksheet name"

    8. Re-open the Excel file and change the name of the worksheet from "test(1)" to simply "test"
    9. Save this and repeat steps 3-7, but the result is that "Test" shows up as a source worksheet to select.

    I don't know too many people that use "(" and ")" in their worksheet names, but since this is the default from a SharePoint export, it might be worth investigating a fix.

    Thanks again,
    Ron

    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:25 PM
  • rontorres --

    Thanks for solving your own problem and for letting us all know the answer.  I'm not surprised that special characters were the source of your problems.  :)

    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:02 PM
    Moderator