none
Trying to Sync a 1000 or greater task list between Project Pro 2010 and Sharepoint 2010 fails

Domanda

• I am trying to sync a very basic project plan that is 1000 task  between sharepoint 2010 from MS Project 2010. I have tried both 32 bit Project 2010 on XP and  windows 7 64 bit . SP1 is installed

When I sync to a sharepoint list from project often crashes. Tasks are sometimes created on the sharepoint list  and sometime not. Is there any web part in sharepoint I should be using for the bigger plans? Is there a global setting anywhere? What is  the biggest task list from project that anyone has been able to sync?  

martedì 28 febbraio 2012 19:32

Risposte

• Merge dates and Project adds date constraints. This renders your schedule only a little more dynamic than one in Excel. Any import tool (including SharePoint) that forces date constraints is counter-productive. Good schedules are dynamic (driven only by links and durations plus a handful of project constraints where necessary).

It's easy to get feedback using Excel and a little VBA automation makes this even easier. Alternatively data can be shared using XML.

As Project Server gets more technical and the entry point higher and higher, there is definitely a need for entry level EPM tools that pluck low hanging fruit.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

sabato 5 maggio 2012 22:50
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• For bigger schedules (in fact any schedules) I doin't use sync as Project tasks get date constraints added by the sync. This creates work removing them all and restoring the critical path.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

mercoledì 29 febbraio 2012 00:13
    Moderatore
  • Rod,

I am trying to find the best and seamless way possible for my team to report time against tasks,  without using Project Server. I  do not have Project 2010 Server, which is why I was hoping to use Sharepoint. The idea was that my team could use Sharepoint 2010 , and record their time there against the tasks I was syncing from Project Pro 2010. Then sync those updates daily back to project.  

I know the ideal solution would be to get Project Server , and have my reports see and report time on assignments. However, I do not have that option.

Do you have a recomendation for a way,or any tips on how  I could automate the report of time by my team against assignments into project?

Thanks,

David

giovedì 1 marzo 2012 21:10
  • You can use our IntelliGantt Add In for MS Project 2010 to sync as many tasks to a SharePoint task list as you like. We have one customer doing 40,000 tasks with a Master project containing 300+ sub projects.

Let us know how it works for you.

John Milan

TeamDirection, Inc.

giovedì 22 marzo 2012 23:46
  • I've only ever experienced problems using SharePoint. For easier and much less troublesome updates, export task lists to Excel then merge them back in again. Don't merge Start and finish dates, except for Actual Start and finish as these these tasks then get date constraints which is really counter-productive.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

giovedì 22 marzo 2012 23:55
    Moderatore
  • Interesting that you have to not merge Start and Finish dates. Our add in let's you turn MS Project Start and Finish dates to 'Write to SharePoint Only'. Because you can turn SharePoint updates off/on at a field level, we won't introduce constraints into your project plan.

This would save you the Excel round trip.

venerdì 23 marzo 2012 00:12
  • You can use our IntelliGantt Add In for MS Project 2010 to sync as many tasks to a SharePoint task list as you like. We have one customer doing 40,000 tasks with a Master project containing 300+ sub projects.

Let us know how it works for you.

John Milan

TeamDirection, Inc.

Hi John, i recently downloaded your Add In, but i still have this message from Sharepoint:

Invalid Predecessor

SharePoint only supports Finish-to-Start predecessors without constraints or lag times. Modify the affected predecessor and sync again.

In ms project all is fine.

venerdì 20 aprile 2012 01:05
  • Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the note. The error message you cite is not one of ours. In fact, I believe that message is from the MS Project Professional sync with SharePoint engine.

When you download and install our IntelliGantt Add In we do create a new top-level ribbon group called IntelliGantt SP. Within this ribbon group are all the buttons and knobs to enable the IntelliGantt synchronization.

Here are a few videos to help you out:

http://www.teamdirection.com/mspaddin/screens.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John Milan

TeamDirection, Inc.

sabato 5 maggio 2012 22:05
  • Merge dates and Project adds date constraints. This renders your schedule only a little more dynamic than one in Excel. Any import tool (including SharePoint) that forces date constraints is counter-productive. Good schedules are dynamic (driven only by links and durations plus a handful of project constraints where necessary).

It's easy to get feedback using Excel and a little VBA automation makes this even easier. Alternatively data can be shared using XML.

As Project Server gets more technical and the entry point higher and higher, there is definitely a need for entry level EPM tools that pluck low hanging fruit.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

sabato 5 maggio 2012 22:50
    Moderatore
  • Exactly. We heard from plenty of customers on precisely this issue and that is why our add in does not force date constraints.

We think it's both the easiest and most dynamic to get feedback using the application generating the plan in the first place if you can be confident your schedule won't change as a result. No extra import/export with Excel, additional VBA programming or XML posting (which is basically out of date the moment you post it).

And other low hanging fruit :)

lunedì 7 maggio 2012 05:58