none
Internet Explorer 10 cookies and roaming profiles (WebCache directory)

Discussão Geral

• Hi,

I'm having a cookie problem on 2 out of 2 tested environments using Windows Server 2008 R2 (with roaming profiles) and Internet Explorer 10 (IEAK'ed) :S

For instance when I login to www.google.com with my username and password, as long as I'm using my Windows session I'm logged in to www.google.com every time I open the browser (with all iexplore.exe processes closed before). When I logoff my Windows session my (roaming) profile is beeing saved on the fileserver and the locally cached Windows profile is beeing deleted.

When I logon to Windows again (on the same computer) the roaming profile is beeing copied from the fileserver to my client (including the .txt cookies), but www.google.com isn't logging me in automatically. The same thing happens with other cookies related stuff on websites :S

Also tried WITH and WITHOUT folder redirection for AppData/Cookies/etc, even a newly installed environment with Microsoft defaults is giving me problems.

Anybody out there having the same problem ?

sexta-feira, 1 de março de 2013 14:22

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

do you have the google toolbar installed?

google have markup on their pages that uses methods from their toolbar and bho's.

Regards.

Rob^_^

sábado, 2 de março de 2013 00:14
  • In my newly created test setup I have nothing installed, just a clean Windows 2008 R2 as a workstation and a clean Windows Server 2012 domain controller hosting the roaming profile path, so no 3rd party software involved.

Waiting for others to see the problem as well, I will try an IE10 installation WITHOUT IEAK to see if that's any good.

sábado, 2 de março de 2013 08:30
  • Hmm, quick test without IEAK showed me good results, will try several things/upgrades/installs to see what's causing the problem
    sábado, 2 de março de 2013 10:14
  • Update, looks like existing IE8 cookies do work the first time a user logs in to a machine with Internet Explorer upgraded to v10 (with or without IEAK). The second time they login the cookies fail.

Tried everything from modifying security zones, cookie settings, compared serval registry and profile data from different logons and configs, but that didn't help.

Without deleting the locally cached Windows profile at logoff everything works like a charm(!), hmm, will try to tweak ntuser.ini to see if they are beeing stored within Local or LocalLow with IE10.

sábado, 2 de março de 2013 12:16
  • With the Local and LocalLow profiles EXCLUDED (so they ARE beeing transfered to the roaming profile UNC path at logoff) from the ExcludeProfileDirs under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon everything works as it should.

Found out that %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache is "causing" the problem, when searching for that on the internet I saw IE10 uses a new file structure for it's history, cache & cookies @ http://blog.nirsoft.net/2012/12/08/a-few-words-about-the-cache-history-on-internet-explorer-10/

Now we'll have to find out if we can redirect that directory somehow or open a case at Microsoft.

sábado, 2 de março de 2013 12:45
  • Microsoft case opened

segunda-feira, 4 de março de 2013 09:56
  • Microsoft reproduced the problem, looks like a design flaw by me
    sábado, 16 de março de 2013 17:55
  • Hello,

Not an answer, but the site I'm working at has the same issue.

Windows 7 with IE10 and Persona.  (Works like roaming profile)

Please let me know what Microsoft response was.

For us because we have Windows 7 we are downgrading to IE9 and blocking IE10 from Windows Update for now.

Walter

terça-feira, 26 de março de 2013 00:06
  • Hi Richard,

I'm having the same issue.

Could you please let me know what Microsoft response was.

Maurits

terça-feira, 9 de abril de 2013 12:40
  • Can't share that much information since I may not share internal information, but the problem has been reproduced and they're evaluating/working on a fix. Better to open a support case yourself and get the info from Microsoft. Besides the info they also know others have the issue as well than.

We're using IE8 right now and I don't know if we wait for the fixed version or move to IE9/Chrome Enterprise instead.

terça-feira, 9 de abril de 2013 12:51
  • I don't have SA for Windows 2008 r2 server, only for Office 2013.

Used my gpo's to change the registry key:

Orginal key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"="AppData\\Local;AppData\\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin"

Adjusted key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"="$Recycle.Bin"

quarta-feira, 10 de abril de 2013 10:41
  • Good luck with that :)
    quarta-feira, 10 de abril de 2013 16:20
  • Hi Richard,

So is your problem solved?

What I have seen is that %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies contains cookies but when roaming this directory only with the needed IE data, the cookies won't work.

So it looks like the %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache directory contains important information which will make the roaming cookies work.

The problem with the WebCache is that after closing IE several files are still in use by windows processes making it impossible to copy it or perform actions on it.

terça-feira, 23 de abril de 2013 12:44
  • Problem hasn't been solved yet, Microsoft is working on a fix.

Correct, the WebCache database contains pointers/links to the real cookies, when that database gets deleted Internet Explorer thinks the website doesn't have a cookies stored yet and it's creating a new cookies and pointer/link again in the WebCache "database".

I like the idea, but I'm still wondering after all this time why someone at Microsoft decided to store that outside the "Roaming" part of the profile...

terça-feira, 23 de abril de 2013 19:30
  • Yes indeed. But Microsoft has done it before and created policies to put it in the roaming part manually. I'm sure it's done because of the size of the whole WebCache dir. If Microsoft did put it in the roaming part people would say the opposite and would complain about why Microsoft put such large directory in the roaming part of the profile.

But I hope they will fix it in a way that after closing Internet Explorer, no process keeps the files in use so we will be able to copy over the WebCache dir without any problem.

Update: I found some handy information about why and how it works:

http://www.ericlawrence.com/eric/show.asp?entry=4/3/2013%205:27:00%20PM

Update 2: I saw that the auto login on gmail.com doesn't work but when I double click on the login field I see my name appear which I saved in me previous session (localprofile is deleted and using a roaming profile). So it works partially without the WebCache folder content.

• Editado MobileMeneer quarta-feira, 24 de abril de 2013 12:46
    quarta-feira, 24 de abril de 2013 05:44
  • Problem hasn't been solved yet, Microsoft is working on a fix.

Correct, the WebCache database contains pointers/links to the real cookies, when that database gets deleted Internet Explorer thinks the website doesn't have a cookies stored yet and it's creating a new cookies and pointer/link again in the WebCache "database".

I like the idea, but I'm still wondering after all this time why someone at Microsoft decided to store that outside the "Roaming" part of the profile...

Any updates on this?  I tried IE9 and am getting the same exact behavior as with IE10 so it's back to IE8 for now...  

(2K8R2 & XenApp 6.5 using RDS profiles)

• Editado IKeyz quinta-feira, 13 de junho de 2013 16:47
    quinta-feira, 13 de junho de 2013 16:45
  • They're still working on a fix for IE10/IE11.

IE9 does not have the same behaviour for us.

terça-feira, 2 de julho de 2013 10:56
  • Any news about a fix for this issue? We have the same problem after upgrading to Internet Explorer 10 on our RDS environment. The workaround to copy the "local" folders into the roaming profile is not acceptable for us, we want to keep the roaming profile as small as possible for better logon times.
    quarta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2013 05:41
  • The only news is the fix is postponed a couple of times, will not be ready before december.

IE11 in Windows 8.1 (aka Blue) should be fixed when it hits RTM.

I hope they release a downloadable IE11 for Win7/Win2012 this year as well, so maybe we can skip IE10

quarta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2013 05:48
  • I seem to be having success working around this by changing the "Local AppData" registry value within the User Shell Folders key in the user registry hive. Not done a huge amount of testing to look for undesired side effects, but my cookies are now working between Windows sessions on 2008 R2 with IE 10.

Details here: http://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/internet-explorer-10-not-saving-cookies-when-roaming-profile-used/

Please let me know if you try this and notice anything weird!

• Editado robincm2 sexta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2013 22:58 typo
    sexta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2013 15:25
  • Where do you think your temporary internet files (and bunch of other sh*t that should be deleted) are beeing stored ?
    sexta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2013 15:34
  • I mentioned this in the blog post. "Temporary internet files" are stored in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

as referenced in the registry in the "User Shell Folders\Cache" value.

Because "temporary internet files" has its own User Shell Folders entry, which specifies a folder within %userprofile%, they remain "local" and are still discarded at logoff as desired. Now there may well be other stuff that should be discarded and won't be, but that's why I posted this, to see if anyone had noticed anything.

Have you tried it?

sexta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2013 22:57
  • No, and won't try :)

But you'll have to add some about the %temp% folder as well.

sábado, 31 de agosto de 2013 06:20
  • %temp% also references %userprofile% in the registry and thus also still points to C:\

• Editado robincm2 segunda-feira, 2 de setembro de 2013 07:59 technical update
    segunda-feira, 2 de setembro de 2013 07:52
  • I have a similar solution that copies cookie data off of a remote server at the end of a session/logoff and restores it at the beginning of the next session.  This solution uses AppSense, not roaming profiles, but the goal is the same I think.  What we found was that the WebCache database was not being copied off to the permanent storage.  We added a step that terminated the IE process prior to logoff and then it seemed to work.

However, it's still acting a bit strange.  The cookie txt files are restored to the remote server at login, but IE then creates duplicate txt files with, what appears to be the same content.  I'm trying to figure out why that is happening and stumbled on this thread.

quarta-feira, 23 de outubro de 2013 00:39
  • The local AppData folder is a location to store application data. Windows uses the Local and LocalLow folders for application data that does not roam with the user. Usually this data is either machine specific or too large to roam. I would recommend not to make registry changes to redirect the AppData/Local folders to the roaming profiles share. Doing so can cause unexpected issues. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on a solution. I will post back once a solution has been identified.

Thanks!

AJAYPS - MSFT

segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2013 13:32
  • Thanks for the update!

For those of us who can't afford to wait for that, I've been running this for a few months now and no nasty side effects have popped up yet (aside from each user's network storage growing by ~32MB the first time they log on when the WebCacheV01.dat file is created).

I know it's not ideal, but when these situations are imposed on us we have to find workarounds until the official solutions are released.

I hope this thread will be updated by somebody from Microsoft when the official solution has been released.

segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2013 13:49
  • jolly --> http://www.bink.nu/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-released

Really disappointed that IE11 does NOT solve the problem. :-(
    domingo, 17 de novembro de 2013 16:47
  • Microsoft is aware of this issue for months but still no workable solution. In the meantime IE11 is released with the same issue. Everyone (including Microsoft) tells us to keep your browser up to date, but that's not possible with this webcache roaming issue.
    quarta-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2013 08:33
  • Gotta love MS. Does anyone have any update on whether there is even a workaround for this issue aside from redirecting the entire Appdata folder for roaming?
    quinta-feira, 23 de janeiro de 2014 20:45
  • Looks like I have exact same issue using Redirection of Cookie directory.  Very disappointing.....
    quinta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2014 22:08
  • Any news on the fix?

Sysadm

terça-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2014 20:36
  • Nice, looking forward to the release of the hotfix
    sexta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2014 10:38
  • Good news! Hope they will release this hotfix soon enough!

sexta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2014 14:42
  • Is there any public info about the fix available yet, even if the installer can't be downloaded?

How does the "fix" work? Move the webcachev01 to the roaming part of the profile?

Or have they re-though the whole thing? (again)

sexta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2014 14:56
  • use a MDlink

mklink C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\webcache \\roamingprofilefolder /D

users must have rights for: Create symbolic links

works for me on a citrix farm

quarta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2014 15:52
  • Great idea.  I would love to implement that but I have had issues where the symbolic links won't stick from session to session since "Local" doesn't roam and the script to create it requires administrative rights.  Have you run into that or overcome it?
    quarta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2014 17:53
  • Can you send the fix to us?? Thanks, Ash

quarta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2014 22:15
  • We're also having these problems after updating to IE11 (from IE9) on our terminal servers.
    Users started complaining that their "internet settings" are not saved (by which they mean cookies).

I've tried setting up a sync job to their home drive (with RES Workspace Manager) at log on and off, but this means syncing another (at least) 30 MB at logon which slows down the logon process. It would be easier if the WebCache folder was redirectable or even better of it was kept in the Roaming part of AppData...

Waiting for a hotfix...

quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 07:33
  • We're also having these problems after updating to IE11 (from IE9) on our terminal servers.
    Users started complaining that their "internet settings" are not saved (by which they mean cookies).

I've tried setting up a sync job to their home drive (with RES Workspace Manager) at log on and off, but this means syncing another (at least) 30 MB at logon which slows down the logon process. It would be easier if the WebCache folder was redirectable or even better of it was kept in the Roaming part of AppData...

Waiting for a hotfix...

Same here...
    quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 07:43
  • I had a major issue with Cookies on IE 11 within a xenapp 6.5 environment, users have roaming profiles. Cookies was just not working.

I changed the setting in privacy settings on the citrix servers to allow cookies and this made no difference in the end I downloaded the IECW for IE 11

I created a custom setting for the privacy tab run this on each xenapp server and it worked. Was banging my head on the wall for 2.5 days trying to get cookies working.

I don't know if this will help anybody thought it worth sharing.

quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 11:29
  • I had a major issue with Cookies on IE 11 within a xenapp 6.5 environment, users have roaming profiles. Cookies was just not working.

I changed the setting in privacy settings on the citrix servers to allow cookies and this made no difference in the end I downloaded the IECW for IE 11

I created a custom setting for the privacy tab run this on each xenapp server and it worked. Was banging my head on the wall for 2.5 days trying to get cookies working.

I don't know if this will help anybody thought it worth sharing.

we're also running xenapp 6.5 with roaming profiles, so I'm definitely interested ;-)
    • Editado Laggetjeuh quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 11:34 definately doh
    quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 11:33
  • cool - just to give you the full picture I install the IECW on a DC with IE 11 installed- had to install IE 11 on there to update the GPO settings, by doing this it automatically installs the adxm files etc...

I created the custom app on the same box (the DC)

again don't know if this helps but thought I would share the full story

quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 11:40
  • use a MDlink

mklink C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\webcache \\roamingprofilefolder /D

users must have rights for: Create symbolic links

works for me on a citrix farm

After some playing I have it successfully running in my place too.  The security issues I was running into was resolved with a Group Policy to allow users to create symbolic links.  Its a Computer Security Policy.  Then I attached this script to login and all is good, I use a Symbolic link to point it to a folder int eh Roaming part of the user profile.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

rd C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\webcache /s /q

md C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\webcache

mklink C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\webcache C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\webcache /D

Royalties accepted in bitcoins....

quarta-feira, 5 de março de 2014 17:07
  • wouldn't it be better to point the link to a location that isn't part of the roaming profile?

when using the roaming part it will increase the roaming profile with at least 30MB, which has to be loaded and unloaded at logon/logoff. I'm thinking of pointing it to another location, like the user's ts home drive...

quinta-feira, 6 de março de 2014 07:42
  • We are having the same issue and opened a support ticket with MS a few days ago in hopes of getting a "private hotfix". No luck with that. The only thing the support tech. could tell us that MS has a hotfix that they are testing and will be released in the next cumulative update but they had no idea when that would be. Does anyone know if MS actually has a set schedule for releasing IE Cumulative Updates?

Thanks,

Steve Barth

quinta-feira, 6 de março de 2014 14:36
  • Hey Steve

I did the same... This is MSS answer:

Yes, as you have seen this is a known issue for us and the steps needed to release a fix are still in progress. What you read in that forum is not entirely true, there has never been a hotfix created for this issue and we only provided private bits to selected customers to validate the correctness of the fix: in fact, that information should not have been shared publicly. I’m sorry but there’s no private bits I can provide currently, so we’ll have to wait for the official release. This is currently set for April but still under confirmation: I should have more information in the coming weeks.

sexta-feira, 7 de março de 2014 07:47
  • Hey

From MSS:

I have some news to share on the release of this fix. All testing has completed properly and we're currently aiming the April release cycle for the IE10 fix and the May release cycle for IE11 fix. This is mainly due to the upcoming update for Windows 8.1 (the OS version tied to IE11), so this separate release is mainly motivated by that fact. I understand this separation is not something we would want, but this is what we have to work with.

The April release is scheduled to hit the streets on the 8th at 10:00 AM Redmond time, whereas the May release is set for the 13th of May, with the same time frame.

Looking forward to the fix ;)

Michael

segunda-feira, 10 de março de 2014 18:24
  • Thanks for the info.

Would be nice to get some detail about how the fix will work: I'm slightly concerned that the "fix" will not migrate existing cookie data, and depending on how it "fixes" the issue and what migration steps it takes, I'll probably want to undo the workaround I've been using once the official fix has been installed.

quarta-feira, 12 de março de 2014 12:54
  • Installed the april updates on a couple of test desktops (Windows 7, IE10), roamed between them while checking out websites that I know are storing cookies in the user profile, and...

...the issue's still not fixed. At least not for me.

IE10 is still creating the WebCache in the Local part of the AppData folder, with nothing to imply that anything is done differently this time around.

Has anyone else installed the latest updates and gotten better results?

terça-feira, 8 de abril de 2014 21:15
  • No luck on 2008R2, IE10 as well :-/
    quarta-feira, 9 de abril de 2014 09:46
  • Maybe it will be an hotfix thats needs to download manualy not from the automatic updates

how can we know if they release one?

quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 07:15
  • Here's to hoping that either Michael_DK or Steven Barth (or anyone who's opened a ticket with Microsoft) chime in soon to tell us what MSS has to say about this.

I really don't mind that this - IMO - serious bug has been left unfixed for over a year now. I think what's killing most of us is that Microsoft itself can't seem to provide a reliable ETA for the fix. It makes any kind of planning for us lowly admins impossible.

As mentioned by a couple of posters before, yes, there are plenty of workarounds available. I've got the workaround using the symbolic link tested and ready for deployment. However, like robincm2, I do not wish to see the workaround being unceremoniously undone by the hotfix - when it finally arrives - and creating a ton of grief for our end users in the process.

quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 08:47
  • Hi folks

Thanks for your patience with this. Please see:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2955387

Regards

Mark.

Mark Feetham Senior Program Manager Internet Explorer Supportability

quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 12:06
    Proprietário
  • are the cookies still stored in the same location in the userprofile after applying the update?

because I'd like to move my user cookies (which are now redirected to their ts home folder with a symlink) back to the location that is now supposed to be roaming...

(haven't heard any reactions about it actually working though so I'll wait until I do, IE11 on 2008R2 here btw)

edit: installed all available updates on our test environment (2008r2 with ie11) where the symlink workaround is not active and cookies are still NOT saved.

• Editado Laggetjeuh quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 14:14
    quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 12:17
  • Well, I don't know what's more disheartening: not knowing whether the hotfix was included with the latest updates, or knowing that the supposed fix is included, but finding out that it isn't working as intended :/

Just built up another test environment (Windows 7, IE10, roaming profiles), making sure that the cumulative update (KB2936068) was indeed installed ... and confirmed that cookie roaming still isn't working.

Delving into the folder locations that IE is using, I'm still seeing that:

- The actual cookie files are going to %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\

- The WebCache database and logs are going to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\

So what is the hotfix doing differently? Did the hotfix enable a hidden option to configure the WebCache location?

quinta-feira, 10 de abril de 2014 15:08
  • It still doesnt work, would be nice to get some more information about this.

(If you read kb955857 they talk about "Windows 8-based computer". What about, Windows 2008R2?)

sexta-feira, 11 de abril de 2014 11:09
  • Hi,

As I read this thread it seems some of you have actually managed to install this fix.. for some reason on my system it keeps saying not applicable.

The system is Windows 7 SP1 with IE10 all patched up until now. 

I tried the x64 patch, x32 patch different language but no installation at all.

I don't know if this works but here a link to a picture I tweeted

Must be something really stupid but if you see it please tell me... I'm running in circles. (installed it on a w7sp1 IE11 already to see if it was fixed there by accident, that went easy)

Thanks

gr

Rob

http://t.co/6BoJmrTuZs

segunda-feira, 14 de abril de 2014 13:19