none
Remove non-existent server from farm (virtual server deleted before it was removed properly)

Pergunta

• Background Information:

My development SharePoint environment consists of 1 server with SharePoint on it, and 1 database server. My SharePoint server had to be rebuilt.

Here's what I thought was going to happen:

-Shut down virtual server.
    -Create new server with same name as old server.
    -Give me server without SharePoint installed so I can do everything properly.
    -If new server works, delete old server.

Instead it looks like what happened:

-Use central admin to create backup
    -Rename old server ( not properly, I beleive they just changed the machine name)
    -Create new server with same name as old server.
    -Restore SharePoint from backup to new server.
    -Leave both servers online.
    -Other magic to copy settings from old server to new. (?)
    -Delete old server.

End result: SharePoint not happy with server deletion, possibly very confused about existing at the same time as it's clone?

SharePoint Health Analyzer is listing a deleted virtual server as a failing server on several error messages. 

Things I have tried:

The virtual server is deleted, so I can't use Control Panel to uninstall SharePoint.

It's not showing up in Central Administration - > System Settings - > Manage Servers in this Farm, so I can't delete it using Central Admin.

I get an error when I try to run SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard or PSCONFIG.EXE from command line. "Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm. Possible reasons for this failure could be that you no longer have the appropriate permissions to the server farm, the database server hosting the server farm is unresponsive, the configuration database is inaccessible or this server has been removed from the server farm. To diagnose this problem further, review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_21_2012_13_53_55_37_451280392.log. If this problem persists, choose to disconnect from the server farm. After disconnecting, run the wizard again to create or connect to an existing server farm."

There are other errors, but I believe they are the result of the missing server, not the cause of it.

So how do I remove all references to this deleted server? Or is my environment hosed?

I asked the same question on stackoverflow for sharepoint in more detail and haven't gotten any responses.
    http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/39187/remove-server-that-no-longer-exists-from-2010-farm

• Editado SW117 sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2012 15:08 fixed link
    sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2012 14:46

Respostas

• At this point, I'd start with a new farm (new Config database) and just reattach your Service Application databases/Content Databases.

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net

• Marcado como Resposta SW117 segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 18:34
    segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 17:39
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• So while the "deleted" server was part of the farm, you changed its name?  Then introduced a new server with the name of the old one?

What does Get-SPServer | format-table Address,Id return?

sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2012 16:24
    Moderador
  • Yes, the "deleted" server was part of the farm when it's name was changed. It was the only SharePoint server in the farm.

Get-SpServer shows me the mail server and database server. When I open Central Administration - > System Settings - > Manage Servers in this farm, the server is not listed. The only servers listed are the database server and mail server.

So I'm guessing the problem is somehow related to the fact that remaining server was created from a backup of the deleted one, and not just the fact that they were part of the same farm and one got deleted.

Will removing SPSERVER from the farm help? If you remove the only server from a farm, what happens? Would I just run the wizard again and choose the same config database to get back to where I am now?

• Editado SW117 segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 18:03
    segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 16:10
  • At this point, I'd start with a new farm (new Config database) and just reattach your Service Application databases/Content Databases.

• Marcado como Resposta SW117 segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 18:34
    segunda-feira, 25 de junho de 2012 17:39
    Moderador