none
Leave Data Drive (D:) Untouched During Rebuild In ConfigMgr 2007 Task Sequence

Pergunta

• Windows Server 2008 R2, ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 (R2), MDT 2010 U1

I'm looking for a way to put logic on a Task Sequence that will only format/wipe the OS partition during a rebuild i.e. leave the Data Partition (D: drive) untouched.

The users have data which should remain on a machine (all located on D: such as .pst files, non critical local storage etc.) when rebuilding the Operating System but I can't find a built in solution to this through either native ConfigMgr TS or via MDT 2010 U1.

Jonathan Conway | My blog: Conway's IT Blog | Twitter: jonconwayuk | Linkedin: Jonathan Conway

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator • MCP • MCSE 2003 • MCTS SCCM 2007, Windows 7 Config & Deploying • VCP

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 14:21

Respostas

• Hi,

If you will remove the Format And Partition task, the installation of windows will only wipe the OS Drive.

test it before you go to production.

אם תשובתי סייע בפתרון לשאלה, אנא הצבע כמועיל, תודה. Best Regards, Ori Husyt - אורי הוסיט

• Marcado como Resposta Jonathan Conway quinta-feira, 5 de julho de 2012 08:38
    quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 14:53

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

If you will remove the Format And Partition task, the installation of windows will only wipe the OS Drive.

אם תשובתי סייע בפתרון לשאלה, אנא הצבע כמועיל, תודה. Best Regards, Ori Husyt - אורי הוסיט

• Marcado como Resposta Jonathan Conway quinta-feira, 5 de julho de 2012 08:38
    quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 14:53
  • Hi,

Do you know how the OS Drive gets wiped? - does the 'Apply Operating System Image' task do this by default? I'm testing this now to see what happens but just wondered if you knew this information already.

Jonathan Conway | My blog: Conway's IT Blog | Twitter: jonconwayuk | Linkedin: Jonathan Conway

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator • MCP • MCSE 2003 • MCTS SCCM 2007, Windows 7 Config & Deploying • VCP

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 15:06
  • there is a chance that it will keep your files in windows.old folder on the OS drive.

I used a command line in the task sequence after the Apply OS task that will delete the Windows.old folder.

try that:

cmd.exe /c if exist "C:\Windows.old" rd /q /s "C:\Windows.old"

if it helped, please mark my answer as helpful :)

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 15:27
  • there is a chance that it will keep your files in windows.old folder on the OS drive.

I used a command line in the task sequence after the Apply OS task that will delete the Windows.old folder.

try that:

Thanks for the advice - I do have another question though. How will this work with a bare metal deployment. If there are no partitions set and no disks defined then the TS will fail as there is nowhere to store the TS or it's associated data.

Does this mean that you need to have two Task Sequences (1 for rebuild, 1 for bare metal) or is there a way to combine them into one Task Sequence? I am thinking that it would be possible if I was able to add some sort of query to detarime if partitions existed or not so that I could either run the format/partition or not.

Any ideas? Is this a problem that you have had yourself?

quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 21:50

try that:

Thanks for the advice - I do have another question though. How will this work with a bare metal deployment. If there are no partitions set and no disks defined then the TS will fail as there is nowhere to store the TS or it's associated data.

Does this mean that you need to have two Task Sequences (1 for rebuild, 1 for bare metal) or is there a way to combine them into one Task Sequence? I am thinking that it would be possible if I was able to add some sort of query to detarime if partitions existed or not so that I could either run the format/partition or not.

Any ideas? Is this a problem that you have had yourself?

I've answered my own question here - I've created a new Group just after 'Restart in Windows PE' and added a WMI query to the Group that makes it run if there are no existing partitions on the disk:

SELECT * FROM Win32_DiskDrive WHERE Partitions <= '0'

Inside the group I've got:

Clean Disk

Partition Disk 0 - Physical

Partition Disk 0 - Virtual

If there are partitions already there then they are ignored and the TS continues as expected.

quinta-feira, 5 de julho de 2012 08:38
  • Hey Jonathan,

I had recently stumbled on to this blog post of how to exclude certain drives with a rebuild task sequence that uses USMT,

the end result is a XML generated during the TS runtime that excludes certain drives, it helped me exclude drives that contains FAT32 file system from hardlink USMT (FAT32 stores are not supported and complete drive contents was being copied to the NTFS drive that held the state store)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/29/excluding-usb-firewire-and-other-drives-from-usmt-capture.aspx

terça-feira, 17 de julho de 2012 11:28