none
Slow performance when unicasting image

Pergunta

• I am finding that when pulling an image down from our new MDT 2012 server I am only getting about 80 Mbps.  The image is 9.3 GB and it takes about 15 minutes to download.  I'm not sure if this issue exists on other model workstation, but I have 2 Acer s480Gs here and they both have the issue.  Upload speed is half of the download speed, but I'm mainly concerned with the download now.

I have ruled out a network issue by mapping a drive to the deployment share (on the same workstation which is slow) and copying the wim file to C:\, here I can copy the 9.3 GB wim file in 2 minutes, so about 550 Mbps.  On the properties of the deployment share > Windows PE tab > Drivers and Patches tab, the selection profile is set to "All Drivers and Patches", "Include only drivers of the following types" is selected and then under that I have both network and mass storage drivers selected.

Ideas?

quinta-feira, 5 de julho de 2012 16:20

Todas as Respostas

• No takers?
    sexta-feira, 6 de julho de 2012 20:19
  • Kinda clueless.

When you refer to "I have ruled out a network issue by mapping a drive to the deployment share (on the same workstation which is slow) and copying the wim file to C:\" did you do this in Windows itself? Or was this tested from within WindowsPE?

Also what kind of performance are you getting when you try to deploy the OS from another machine? or even VM. 

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

domingo, 8 de julho de 2012 00:55
  • Yes, I copied the file from within Windows itself, that points to WindowsPE drivers doesn't it?  When you say "deploy the OS from another machine" do you mean to another machine?  From another physical machine of the same model I have the same problem, also with a vm I have the same problem.
    terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2012 14:04
  • When you rule out network issues before You only checked that the network cable was ok. Multicast is not the same as unicast. I see two potential issues; bad drivers or switch configuration. I don't know much about switch configurations but a common for slow performance is that Quality of Service is enabled thus limiting the speed on multicast.
    quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 08:37
  • I worked with network guy the other day and we're both satisifed that the network, switching or cabling, is not the issue.  QoS is not enabled, I am using unicasting, multicasting is not enabled on the deployment share > properties > General tab.

Here's a question, if I have the network drivers for this a particular workstation model in the "Out-of-Box Drivers", but Windows 7 includes drivers that will also "work", how does MDT decide which drivers to use for WinPE?  How can I see which drivers have been selected?

quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 13:42
  • only thing i can think of is a problem that we had once and that was that on a specific NIC we experienced a very slow throughput of data. while pxe booting and loading the image to the client pc. we only had that problem with marvell yukon NIC and the way we solved it was temporary use a different NIC to install systems.
    quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 14:22
  • I worked with network guy the other day and we're both satisifed that the network, switching or cabling, is not the issue.  QoS is not enabled, I am using unicasting, multicasting is not enabled on the deployment share > properties > General tab.

Here's a question, if I have the network drivers for this a particular workstation model in the "Out-of-Box Drivers", but Windows 7 includes drivers that will also "work", how does MDT decide which drivers to use for WinPE?  How can I see which drivers have been selected?

Hi, I missread your orginal post. Somehow I missread unicast as multicast. Please ignore my reply before and I'm sorry about that.

To answer your question with what network card driver is used.

Start regedit.exe and goto
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\1

Copy the guid value from ServiceName.
    Do a search for that guid value.
    When you are inte the path
    HKEY_Local_Machine\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\<some guid value>; and the value name you found is NetCfgInstanceId. From there you will find what DriverVersion it is and what inf file is used.

I'm sure there are better ways. Perahps one could be to open up X:\Windows\inf\setup.api.dev.log and read the whole file.

quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 14:36
  • @Stefen, interesting, these machines have a Marvell 88E8071, though I did also try with a vm and it was the same speed.  I should add that since I started this thread, I am getting closer to 130Mbps now, though I didn't change anything.  130Mbps is still not acceptable.

@Michael, I followed your instructions, Windows 7 said:

DriverDate = 2-23-2009
    DriverDesc = Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8071 based Ethernet Controller
    DriverVersion = 11.0.5.3
    InfPath = netmyk00.inf

So I downloaded the latest driver (1/20/12, v11.45.3.3) from Marvell's site, added it to "Out-of-Box Drivers", updated the deployment share, the x64

boot image was updated (not the x86), I added it to WDS (replacing the current one) and downloaded the same .wim again, *** still slow ***.  Windows 7 still says:

DriverDate = 2-23-2009
    DriverDesc = Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8071 based Ethernet Controller
    DriverVersion = 11.0.5.3
    InfPath = netmyk00.inf

Which leads me to believe it's using the drivers built into Windows 7.  What do others think here?

FYI: I have a another post going for this, but these same machines are, for some reason, autoselecting the x86 boot image even though they support x64 

and the x64 boot image is in WDS.  Since only the x64 image was updated with the 1/20/12, v11.45.3.3 Marvell drivers maybe this is why Windows is still using the same driver?

Edit: Can someone explain what the difference is between the Preinstall > Inject Drivers and Postinstall > Inject Drivers tasks, other than the time they run?

The reason I ask, is I have created a selection profile that includes only the video and network driver for this Acer s480G machine, and specified it for the Preinstall > Inject Drivers task, this should guarantee the machine is getting the network drivers I've download from Marvell's site correct?

• Editado J. Wall quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 16:40
    quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 16:04
  • J.Wall,

Windows behaviour for using drivers is by the following logic;

Windows checks the hardware and vendor ID's, in this kind of format:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_83A31043&REV_03
    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_83A31043
    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

It will then check the Windows Driver Store if any drivers match any part of this ID. Precedence will be given to most recent/highest version that matches to the most specific ID, and works it's way down to the most generic ID (the shortest variant).

You could alternatively attempt to load a newer version of the driver manually to see if that might resolve the issue, you can load drivers manually using "drvload", the usage syntax is fairly easy just use /? for help.

As for the difference between the pre-install and post-install driver injection. During the first time it's run it simply copies all the drivers the system might need onto the local disk. The second time it's run is for as far as I can tell only when deploying Windows XP/Server 2003, to modify the configuration files so that mini-setup can find the required drivers. The second time it's executed, it won't do much for a Windows Vista/7/8 (or server variants) since the driver path is already included in the unattend.xml file.

The inject driver steps have nothing to do with the actual driver usage of WinPE itself, only for the deployed Windows Image. So if you specify a specific driver profile in a task sequence, you will limit the drivers that will be copied down to the machine to only those drivers that are included in that selection profile.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2012 21:54