none
WSUS not updating Windows 8 machines

Pergunta

• My company has begun to add Windows 8 machines to our network. We currently use WSUS to handle all of our updates to our machines. We had been noticing that the Windows 8 machines would error our when we point the group policy to our WSUS server.

We currently have Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 devices on Windows Server 2008 with no issues. They can go out and talk to WSUS with no problem.

Our Windows 8 devices give us a 8024402C error code when we go to check for an update. The computers can go out to the Windows Update website and download the updates from the internet with no issue.

We currently do not use a proxy for our internet. I've tried looking all over for a solution to no avail.

Posted below is a report I received when using the Solarwinds diagnostics tool. If more information is needed, please let me know.

# Solarwinds® Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent
    # 9/26/2013
    Machine state
      User rights:                                       User has administrator rights
      Update service status:                             Running
      Background Intelligent Transfer service status:    Running
      OS Version:                                        Windows 8 Pro
      Windows update agent version:                      7.8.9200.16693 (WU Agent is OK)
    Windows Update Agent configuration settings
      Automatic Update:                                  Enabled
      Options:                                           Scheduled (Every day at  3:00 AM)
      Use WSUS Server:                                   Enabled
      Windows Update Server:                             (our server)
      Windows Update Status Server:                      (our server) 
      WSUS URLs are identical:                           Identical
      WSUS URL is valid:                                 Valid URL
    WSUS Server Connectivity -- The remote name could not be resolved: '(our server)'
      clientwebservice/client.asmx:                      Error: NameResolutionFailure (Name Not Resolved – typically caused by an invalid hostname in the Windows Update Server URL, a missing DNS entry for the hostname, or a misconfigured or unavailable DNS Server for the client system)
      simpleauthwebservice/simpleauth.asmx:              Error: NameResolutionFailure (Name Not Resolved – typically caused by an invalid hostname in the Windows Update Server URL, a missing DNS entry for the hostname, or a misconfigured or unavailable DNS Server for the client system)
      content:                                           Error: NameResolutionFailure (Name Not Resolved – typically caused by an invalid hostname in the Windows Update Server URL, a missing DNS entry for the hostname, or a misconfigured or unavailable DNS Server for the client system)
      selfupdate/iuident.cab:                            Error: NameResolutionFailure (Name Not Resolved – typically caused by an invalid hostname in the Windows Update Server URL, a missing DNS entry for the hostname, or a misconfigured or unavailable DNS Server for the client system)
      iuident.cab:                                       Error: NameResolutionFailure (Name Not Resolved – typically caused by an invalid hostname in the Windows Update Server URL, a missing DNS entry for the hostname, or a misconfigured or unavailable DNS Server for the client system)

• Editado Asmus101 quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 13:14
    quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 13:09

Respostas

• I assume you're not talking of two separated domains, but two subnets.

Maybe you have a GPO that is managing your subnets, and you'd need to control that both .176 and .177 are authorized to be on your WSUS domain.

Please post us ipconfig /all results from two different clients you might have.

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 14:24

Todas as Respostas

• Hi Asmus101,

Regarding the first error message :

WSUS Server Connectivity -- The remote name could not be resolved: '(our server)'

It seems that your Windows 8 computer is not able to view the DNS entry of your WSUS server.
    Are you able to ping the WSUS server, either from host name or ip address ?

If you do not succeed in this, maybe try to join the domain from your Windows 8 computer.

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

• Sugerido como Resposta elTiGrOu quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 14:12
    quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 13:50
  • TiGrOu,

Thank you for the answer. I can't believe I overlooked something so simple.

But it brings up another question. We have two domains on our system. One setup, both DNS options end in .176 and .177. The other domain is set on .7 and .176. In theory, the domain with the .7 and .176 should still work because the .176 is pointing to our WSUS server. I wonder why that one wont connect.

quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 14:07
  • I assume you're not talking of two separated domains, but two subnets.

Maybe you have a GPO that is managing your subnets, and you'd need to control that both .176 and .177 are authorized to be on your WSUS domain.

Please post us ipconfig /all results from two different clients you might have.

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 14:24