none
Windows 8 clients not reporting correctly

Pergunta

• I recently installed update KB2734608 on my WSUS server in order to get my Windows 8 machines to report. The WSUS console showed each machine requiring more than 110 updates, but when I ran windows update on a machine it only reported 21 updates needed. Since then I have ran :

• net stop wuauserv
    • rd /s %windir%\softwaredistribution\
    • y
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt /update

Unfortunately each of my Windows 8 clients in the console are still reporting they need between 107 and 113 updates.

quinta-feira, 18 de julho de 2013 18:22

Respostas

• I recently installed update KB2734608 on my WSUS server in order to get my Windows 8 machines to report. The WSUS console showed each machine requiring more than 110 updates, but when I ran windows update on a machine it only reported 21 updates needed.

A very common misperception about the meaning of the state information presented in the WSUS console, and it all revolves around understanding the implications of superseded updates in the listing, as well as understanding the distinction between "Needed" and "Available".

In short, there are 110 updates available on the WSUS server that could be installed on your Win8 system (that is, they are not currently installed). However, only =21= of those updates are actually installable because either the other updates have been superseded by one of those 21, or the rest of the updates that are installable have not yet completed the download of the update files to the WSUS server.

If you approved 110 Windows 8 updates, then I'd say the latter scenario is probably having a significant impact, but do not discount the fact that some of those 110 updates are, in fact, superseded.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013 13:51
    Moderador
  • Indeed, as Lawrence said, another point is how do you manage updates approvals.

If you're doing it manually, you'll have xxx updates available for clients, but not installed and not downloaded by clients too.

I suggest you to create a new rule in the WSUS Console>Options>Automatic Approvals

and for example to automatically approve Critical and Security Updates and to control if you need other patches - like patches for Microsoft Games ; not sure you'll need them :)

TiGrOu.

sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013 14:52

Todas as Respostas

• I recently installed update KB2734608 on my WSUS server in order to get my Windows 8 machines to report. The WSUS console showed each machine requiring more than 110 updates, but when I ran windows update on a machine it only reported 21 updates needed. Since then I have ran :

• net stop wuauserv
    • rd /s %windir%\softwaredistribution\
    • y
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt /update

Unfortunately each of my Windows 8 clients in the console are still reporting they need between 107 and 113 updates.

Hi,

You removed the SoftwareDistribution from your WSUS server or from the W8 client ?

Can you copy/paste us the WindowsUpdate.log fil from one of your Windows 8 client after doing a wuauclt /detectnow?
    Are you sure that all your clients have downloaded and install the 100+ updates listed by the server ?

TiGrOu.

sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013 07:08
  • I recently installed update KB2734608 on my WSUS server in order to get my Windows 8 machines to report. The WSUS console showed each machine requiring more than 110 updates, but when I ran windows update on a machine it only reported 21 updates needed.

A very common misperception about the meaning of the state information presented in the WSUS console, and it all revolves around understanding the implications of superseded updates in the listing, as well as understanding the distinction between "Needed" and "Available".

In short, there are 110 updates available on the WSUS server that could be installed on your Win8 system (that is, they are not currently installed). However, only =21= of those updates are actually installable because either the other updates have been superseded by one of those 21, or the rest of the updates that are installable have not yet completed the download of the update files to the WSUS server.

If you approved 110 Windows 8 updates, then I'd say the latter scenario is probably having a significant impact, but do not discount the fact that some of those 110 updates are, in fact, superseded.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013 13:51
    Moderador
  • Indeed, as Lawrence said, another point is how do you manage updates approvals.

If you're doing it manually, you'll have xxx updates available for clients, but not installed and not downloaded by clients too.

I suggest you to create a new rule in the WSUS Console>Options>Automatic Approvals

and for example to automatically approve Critical and Security Updates and to control if you need other patches - like patches for Microsoft Games ; not sure you'll need them :)

TiGrOu.

sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013 14:52