none
Document Access Filtering

Întrebare

• Hi,

I have a employee profile in sharepoint list. It has employee name and department.

I am creating a document library. This document library is grouped by department.

My requirement is

For example : 

Employee Profile 

Name       Department

A              IT Department

B              Engineering Department

when person A login to the system and accesses the document library, he must be able to see only the group of documents under IT department 

Please let me know how to do this

14 iunie 2012 03:32

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

you may want to create folders in the list respectively to your organizational structure and assign permissions to folders so every document inside 'll inherit folders permission by default.

AS for user, modify view (or create new one):

LinkedIn Profile

14 iunie 2012 05:23
  • I guess it depends on how much you want to hide the docs. 

You can use audience settings to show documents you've tagged for a particular audience. So documents tagged for IT Dept will be visible to the IT Dept but not Engineering. However this approach is not like saying they dont have permissions to a file. If you gave the link to the doc from the other department they can still get to it. 

The other way is with permissions and workflow. I think you could create a workflow and attach it to the document library quite quickly.

First stop permissions inheritance on the list or doc library

1. get the item being added to the lib

2. delete all permissions assigned to that item

3. get the users who submitted the doc

4. get the users group (Engineering or IT)

5. assign the contribute or read role for the those groups to the item

6. save and finish. 

Be sure to add the workflow to the list and trigger it on document create or edit events. 

Hope this helps

14 iunie 2012 05:35

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

you may want to create folders in the list respectively to your organizational structure and assign permissions to folders so every document inside 'll inherit folders permission by default.

AS for user, modify view (or create new one):

LinkedIn Profile

14 iunie 2012 05:23
  • I guess it depends on how much you want to hide the docs. 

You can use audience settings to show documents you've tagged for a particular audience. So documents tagged for IT Dept will be visible to the IT Dept but not Engineering. However this approach is not like saying they dont have permissions to a file. If you gave the link to the doc from the other department they can still get to it. 

The other way is with permissions and workflow. I think you could create a workflow and attach it to the document library quite quickly.

First stop permissions inheritance on the list or doc library

1. get the item being added to the lib

2. delete all permissions assigned to that item

3. get the users who submitted the doc

4. get the users group (Engineering or IT)

5. assign the contribute or read role for the those groups to the item

6. save and finish. 

Be sure to add the workflow to the list and trigger it on document create or edit events. 

Hope this helps

14 iunie 2012 05:35
  • What is important to remember about SharePoint Foundation is that any picker entity object can be used to configure permissions. Furthermore, when you assign a permission to a custom claim or add it to a SharePoint group within a specific site collection, SharePoint Foundation must create a profile for the claim in a special hidden list known as the User Information List. This profile can be seen on the Users and Groups page, and can track several different fields, such as Display Name, Email, Work Phone, and Department.

from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615945.aspx .

So, a much sophiscated solution is to set department as claim for user with a custom claim provider.

21 iunie 2012 07:51